Laptop Restart/Crash (Kernel-Power)

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys. I have a gaming laptop, that has restarted on it's own 2 times in the past 7 days. I guess that it was a crash, but today was the first time I saw it happen. There was no error message displayed, but I did go into Windows Event Viewer, and it said that it was a Kernel-Power crash/restart, with Event ID 41. Should I be concerned about this, and is there a fix for this issue? My laptop is running Windows 11 64-bit. Here are laptop specs:

- Windows 11 64-bit, Version 22H2
- 64GB System RAM
- Nvidia RTX 3080 Graphics Card w/ 16GB VRAM
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX @ 3.30 GHz
- 2x 4TB SSD's (Primary SSD with OS has about 300GB remaining)

Thoughts and help appreciated :)

Last edited:
Event ID 41 means an unexpected shut down or restart. There are a lot of things that could be causing this. It could be anything from overheating (common in laptops) to power supply issues to software/driver problems.

It doesn't necessarily sound like a temperature thing to me because it just reboots. When there is a temperature problem, the laptop generally shuts down and won't restart until it has cooled off for awhile. Still, it's a good idea to clean your laptop fairly often.

Could be a power problem. Is your power cable in good shape? Is it bent significantly anywhere, particularly right at the laptop? Is the laptop charging properly? Is the battery still good? What is your laptop plugged into?

I would look at your OS and drivers. Make sure your OS is up-to-date, then check all of your drivers for updates. If this started just in the last week, could it be the latest Windows update? You could try rolling back Windows to before the update.

Could be a memory or storage problem. You can use something like MemTest to check your RAM. You'll also want to scan your hard drive for errors.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Power cable is in good shape, and laptop is plugged into a normal power outlet. Laptop still charges fine also, I am running Windows 11, Version 22H2. It has started within past week, but I don't remember Windows being updated. Should I do a Windows 11 Reset, wipe everything and start fresh? I did a RAM test a bit ago, found no errors. Also did DISM Tool, but it didn't find any corrupted/damaged OS files. Other forums suggested updating my BIOS. What do you guys recommend I do? Thoughts and help appreciated :)

Reactions: ZedClampet
Power cable is in good shape, and laptop is plugged into a normal power outlet. Laptop still charges fine also, I am running Windows 11, Version 22H2. It has started within past week, but I don't remember Windows being updated. Should I do a Windows 11 Reset, wipe everything and start fresh? I did a RAM test a bit ago, found no errors. Also did DISM Tool, but it didn't find any corrupted/damaged OS files. Other forums suggested updating my BIOS. What do you guys recommend I do? Thoughts and help appreciated :)
Does your BIOS have an update? If so, then yeah.

Did you check all your drivers?

A Windows clean reinstall as a last ditch effort.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi again. I did a clean Windows 11 install of Version 23H2. I felt good since it was kinda like starting over, and also going from Windows 11 Version 22H2 to 23H2 (is that a big increase, Windows wise?). Anyway, I have another question: My laptop has an AMD Ryzen CPU with Radeon Graphics, but the dedicated laptop Video Card/Adapter is an Nvidia RTX 3080. Should I have both AMD and Nvidia Graphics Drivers installed, or just have Nvidia Graphics Driver? Here are the specs of both:

- Nvidia RTX 3080 Graphics Card w/ 16GB VRAM
- AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX @ 3.30 GHz, with Radeon Graphics

Thoughts and help appreciated :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts