• Enter here for a chance to win a custom MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries themed PC powered by Intel!

Enter here for a chance to win a $500 Steam Gift Card and a WD_BLACK D30 Game Drive SSD!

Question is secure to upgrade my pc the way i have planned?

Jan 2, 2021
so i have an i5 7600k 3.8 ghz box with a gigabyte-ga-z270p-d3 as a motherboard, with 16 gb RAM and a zotac 1060 ddr5 6gb.

I cant take a 2060 cause my cpu would be too low for the gpu, so i have to upgrade my gpu first.

I wanna make a jump on the cpu so i dont have to upgrade it anymore for the next years, and im too interested on an i7 10700KF with a Gigabyte Z490M.

The problem is that i went to Bottleneck calculator and it says that my gpu is too weak for the new cpu, and it would be around 11% of bottleneck, heres the website with the info

The question is, is it risky? i just want to get more performance to my games.

Sep 21, 2020
There really isn't a right/wrong way to upgrade a vid card. Yes matching a vid card/chip is a thing, but it's not as big as you think if your in the main range.

The card will just not perform as well typically by a few % For instance, i'm running a 1060 with an I5-3350. The card is performing at about 65% of it's peak, But that does not mean its performing that badly. I can run games even like jurassic world evolution with out any issues or even a resource hungry games like Battletech.

that said, i would go with that upgrade, and upgrade your card down the road. A 3060 TI would work well with that chip.. Or you could even wait for another year on the next gen cards. Your 1060 should last you that long with ease.

Jan 2, 2021
There really isn't a right/wrong way to upgrade a vid card. Yes matching a vid card/chip is a thing, but it's not as big as you think if your in the main range.

The card will just not perform as well typically by a few % For instance, i'm running a 1060 with an I5-3350. The card is performing at about 65% of it's peak, But that does not mean its performing that badly. I can run games even like jurassic world evolution with out any issues or even a resource hungry games like Battletech.

that said, i would go with that upgrade, and upgrade your card down the road. A 3060 TI would work well with that chip.. Or you could even wait for another year on the next gen cards. Your 1060 should last you that long with ease.

i did it, im nervous as hell and idk why caus i can get a refund pretty easely. tysm. Do you know any way to sell my old cpu and motherboard? my cpu is like 290€ and my motherboard 120 so i kinda want some money i dont want to have it left without winning anything

Sep 21, 2020
There is always e-bay. You could also try the facebook market. I never sold anything on either but i know people do. How much you get is up in the air. Another thought would be give your local computer shop a call.

Oct 2, 2020
i Have just upgraded my 1060 6gb to a 3060 ti, still using the i5 8500 with no issues ( 1 gen higher than yours) I'm even still using the 500w and its all working fine. You can always upgrade the GPU and carry it over to a new build a year or 2 in the future with no issues.
i've never heard of a bottleneck calc before this post lol just gone with what i looked at and could afford.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts