PCG Article Is Crypto Gaming a thing to explore? Any reviews whether its worth?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Are there any that haven't ended that way? Just curious. Has any crypto game made it big yet or are they all looking for the winning formula that makes including these things into a game more fun than say, not including them. Handy in card collecting games I would expect. If Nintendo every dirty their feet with these things, Pokemon official NFT could be a thing... and probably sell well.

Only ones I see are so obviously a scam I can't believe people would fall for them. The movie for Crypto island, for example, made me cringe constantly.

12 hours for a non graphical coin toss... so reminds me of what they do in mobile games... here is a time waster for you. did you like paying for our one days coding effort we probably stole from someone else.
I'd like to know if there have been any legit games, too. So far, all I've seen were just ploys to get you to invest your money. But I certainly haven't seen everything out there.

But to be honest, there are a lot of people in the crypto world who don't care whether the game is legit or not. They're into pumps and dumps. They scout out projects that look like they'll get people hyped, invest their money in the beginning, then when the hype causes it to take off, the price rises, and they dump. Those kind of investors don't care if the game pans out or not. They're just playing on the ignorant people who think it's real.

But I'd like to know if there has been anything legit, too. And your example of Pokemon cards is perfect for NFTs.

Reactions: Brian Boru
if anything doesn't tell you this is an area for scammers

surprised there aren't any for Star Citizen yet - they don't even accept bitcoin over there.

I watched videos on pump & dump, YouTube influencers seem to get into those a lot. Has to be some advantage to being admired by so many kids, gimme some of their money too.

Having watched this, I don't want Crypto anywhere near gaming (its probably too late but you can try to stop it before its too late for all games).
It sure makes me wonder, how many of these "games" are really just there to mine some crypto coin for the maker of the "game"
Since Norton 360 includes a Etherium miner as an opt in extra in its package, why not make a game that does something basic on screen while mining for you?
real games companies may not see a way to make NFT work in games, but publishers sure see easy money selling miners to kids. So many pitfalls but too much money to grease the wheels of Govt to stop this now.
When will subs based programs offer "free" versions that mine for the makers on your time.

Most NFT are going to be worthless, so putting them in games is just another way to extract cash from people, and since its a lot of kids that these games will be aimed at, I just find its really predatory. Kids are the ones most likely to think a picture of a Bored Ape is worth anything at all... oh wait - link - its not just kids.

Most of the high prices paid for nft turn out to be just a way to make NFT look valuable. 69 million USD of art work was actually a way to promote some crypto coin. Now people know how to get it in news, other high amounts are paid to suck in other people who think NFT are worth anything, and to invest so that the small percentage of people who own any of them can cash out now.

should start a discussion thread on that one

A token, as defined by NFT marketplace OpenSea, is "a digital certificate stored on a publicly verifiable distributed database" called a blockchain. The information contained in that certificate or "smart contract" is what makes an NFT unique.

In practice, the distinction between an NFT's certificate (that bit of data that says "You own this digital good") and the digital good itself (a drawing of an ape, most commonly) has been messy.

second paragraph: its intentionally messy to make people think they buying a thing when really its just a certificate saying "you own this exact copy" People won't associate value to just a position in a line. Its a trick

Critics of NFTs point out that NFTs are harmful to the environment because blockchain transactions are mostly done via a mechanism called "proof-of-work" tied to cryptocurrency mining
It might well be but there are easier arguements against it... its a massive confidence trick.

I see they cover the big lie, move assets from one game to another... not unless all games use the same engine. It could work in say Roblox where they all use same code structures I assume. But its more complicated that just putting it in, all the properties of the item need to match across too.

real question is, what currency do they expect people to buy to purchase NFT?

i meant in games really. Not for other purchases. If they put these into games, then you have to be able to buy them. i can just see a EA and Ubisoft wanting to start a coin to get as much of the profit as possible. These things aren't put into games for the players really.

i meant in games really. Not for other purchases. If they put these into games, then you have to be able to buy them. i can just see a EA and Ubisoft wanting to start a coin to get as much of the profit as possible. These things aren't put into games for the players really.
Well, it could be that they do start coins/tokens behind the scenes for crypto investors. They do have to have some kind of infrastructure in place to be able to do these things. But that probably won't be seen from the gamer's point of view, unless they work in some kind of in-game token that takes the place of in-game currency. Like they could set it up so a token is worth a dollar in the in-game currency, but in reality, it's only worth like $0.00000001 in real USD. But investors buy up billions, or even trillions of coins that are worth so little, because even if the value goes up one decimal point and it's only worth $0.0000001 (6 zeros instead of 7), they've earned 10x profit. I've been into tokens of that kind of value.

But from a gamer's perspective, NFTs will just be set up as an in-game purchase that you buy with your debit card and USD. Then if they choose to, they can go deeper into crypto.

Mar 28, 2022
Visit site
I’m 100% sure crypto gaming has a bright future. I read an article on octocrypto about a new game that’s about to come out called MetaSoccer. Basically, it’s a win-to-earn game. You get to play as a soccer team manager in the Metaverse universe. You must hire players, train them, work on your team’s tactics, and so on. The players you invest your money and efforts in will age and decrease in terms of their performance. By winning all kinds of matches, you earn NFT assets based on ERC-721 standards.

Last edited:
secret: its the same as money. It only has value because we believe it does.
In America, you need money to stay alive. If that isn't true value, then I'm not sure what is.

Working on my "What the Hell" Credit Union.

What-the-Hell-Credit-Union.jpg

This will house copper lockboxes which store "points" that are used for upgrades. With no lockboxes, you can only accumulate 100 points. Right now we need about 20k.

I consider Colony Survival points to be more valuable than NFT's, which have proven themselves completely worthless. Even those ridiculous Ape NFT's are worth nothing now. Meanwhile, there are all sorts of things I can do with these points.

It's all about perspective.

After a little more thought, I can't think of any reason at all that NFT's should hold their value. Not a single reason.

If an artist created a painting for you, that painting would have value as a unique, physical item. NFT's are simply digital images. I can take all the bored ape images I want off of an image search, and they are, at heart, no different from the NFT version.

What makes matters worse is that every NFT that I've seen is objectively bad art. It's complete cynicism. It reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide where they decided to use leaves as money.

After a little more thought, I can't think of any reason at all that NFT's should hold their value. Not a single reason.

If an artist created a painting for you, that painting would have value as a unique, physical item. NFT's are simply digital images. I can take all the bored ape images I want off of an image search, and they are, at heart, no different from the NFT version.

What makes matters worse is that every NFT that I've seen is objectively bad art. It's complete cynicism. It reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide where they decided to use leaves as money.

Just to clarify, a NFT is not an image, it is a token that is linked to a bit of data, which can be a link to a particular picture. Owning a NFT does not necessarily mean you own the image (in fact, a lot of NFTs were linked to copyrighted artwork without permission of the artist). You'd have to include some kind of transfer of ownership in the data of the NFT.

In America, you need money to stay alive. If that isn't true value, then I'm not sure what is.
Money only works as most people believe it has some value. Crypto has been used to replace money but the only difference between both is one used to be linked to something with value - gold. Now its just a belief held by most of the world that its worth wasting your entire life chasing after. I stopped believing that years ago.

NFT give you a right to say you own a token. If anything, you own more by owning the "token" than you do with money. You don't own the money notes, they aren't yours, there is nothing stopping someone else taking it, no record of ownership of that "note" anywhere, no bank records the serial numbers of the money you own.

Problem is no one wants to buy the tokens so you have to attach it to something people do care about. If it had been around for centuries like money then no one question what it was for.

Its all based on belief it is worth something... that something is different for almost everyone but its hard to find anyone who doesn't want something it can provide.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, a NFT is not an image, it is a token that is linked to a bit of data, which can be a link to a particular picture. Owning a NFT does not necessarily mean you own the image (in fact, a lot of NFTs were linked to copyrighted artwork without permission of the artist). You'd have to include some kind of transfer of ownership in the data of the NFT.
*eye roll* I know what an NFT is.
Money only works as most people believe it has some value. Crypto has been used to replace money but the only difference between both is one used to be linked to something with value - gold. Now its just a belief held by most of the world that its worth wasting your entire life chasing after. I stopped believing that years ago.

NFT give you a right to say you own a token. If anything, you own more by owning the "token" than you do with money. You don't own the money notes, they aren't yours, there is nothing stopping someone else taking it, no record of ownership of that "note" anywhere, no bank records the serial numbers of the money you own.

Problem is no one wants to buy the tokens so you have to attach it to something people do care about. If it had been around for centuries like money then no one question what it was for.

Its all based on belief it is worth something... that something is different for almost everyone but its hard to find anyone who doesn't want something it can provide.
You aren't accurate. The dollar is backed by the US government, which is much more substantial than gold.

It's a silly argument. Why does gold have value? Because we say it does. But when the US government says it backs the dollar and is willing to go to war over it, that is a much stronger thing than mere gold.

I'll start off by saying I'm definitely not in support of NFTs.

Most of the NFTs out there are just crap like you're talking about. The market is flooded with crap NFTs that will never be any more valuable than the little sticker you get in the bottom of every single Cracker Jack box. It's like how Steam has almost 10,000 games, but most of them are little games most people will never care about, or even know about. They saturate the market, but there are still some really good games on there.

I'm not saying any good NFTs actually exist at this moment, but I believe there is a possibility for NFTs to be useful and valuable. Like the digital Pokemon card idea. It would be a good way to prove you actually have a valuable Pokemon card, or whatever. Plus, there are some legit good artists out there who are interested in using this in the way it was originally intended. You can already buy stock digital art for various uses, and NFTs could be a good way to prove you actually have the license to use the art.

I think there are legit use cases, but I think the market will always be flooded with the useless Cracker Jack stickers, which has already ruined its reputation.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS