I want to start playing on PC but I need help with the hardware!

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2020
Visit site
When you say a VGA to HDMI adapter, what is plugged into what?

If you are using an adapter connecting VGA from the PC to HDMI on the monitor, that's the problem. You want to connect the monitor to the GPU's video output, not the motherboard's video outputs. So just use an HDMI cable to connect the GPU to the monitor.

If you are using HDMI from the GPU to VGA on the monitor, try using HDMI from the GPU to HDMI on e.g. a TV to test if that works.
I am using the VGA to connect to the monitor and the HDMI to the PC because the new card does not have a VGA. I tried plugging it into my tv like you said and the same thing happened. I read online the beep means its something to do with the motherboard BIOS or whatever

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Usually videocards don't have anything to do with a motherboard BIOS.

Beeps indeed come from the motherboard, but it doesn't have to be an issue with the motherboard itself. I searched quickly after Dell beeps, but there's not a single one that tells what's going on if it beeps every 15 seconds.

If you see the Dell logo, are you able to get into the BIOS? Also, does your PC work properly if you remove the videocard, or does it give the same problem without it now?

May 29, 2020
Visit site
Usually videocards don't have anything to do with a motherboard BIOS.

Beeps indeed come from the motherboard, but it doesn't have to be an issue with the motherboard itself. I searched quickly after Dell beeps, but there's not a single one that tells what's going on if it beeps every 15 seconds.

If you see the Dell logo, are you able to get into the BIOS? Also, does your PC work properly if you remove the videocard, or does it give the same problem without it now?
it wont do anything if i try to go into setup or anything. it works fine with the old video card and no card at all. its definitely something to do with the new card im just so aggravated I was looking forward to playing on it.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Yeah I understand.

That friend of yours, does he / she have an own PC? Have you tried putting the videocard in that PC? That can narrow down wether you have a broken videocard that needs to be RMA'd or not. Or if it's an issue with your PC itself rather than the videocard.

EDIT: I second @Oussebon 's question.

I was wondering if it was a case of a 6 pin power connector not being plugged in. Some 1650s do have a 6 pin connector. But that one apparently doesn't and should get all its power via the motherboard. So it's not that.

The PCIe slot should be able to power the card. I'd remove the card and check to see whether there is any lettering immediately around the PCIe slot that states a wattage e.g. 35W. Sometimes OEM PCs are limited to less than 75W for the PCIe slot though as far as I know your XPS 8300 isn't one of them,

It's possible the card is DOA. New components arriving faulty isn't entirely uncommon.

It could be worth trying the troubleshooting steps here:

i.e. clearing the CMOS and potentially replacing the CMOS battery. These batteries are cheap and it's usually worth having one on hand if you own a PC, anyway.

It's also possible that even if the motherboard should be able to power the GPU, it can't because it's old and not working properly, I suppose.

There is another possibility, that I certainly wasn't aware of before, which is that the graphics card requires a system with a UEFI BIOS. Which your XPS 8300 doesn't have.

It's apparently a thing, and it might depend on the specific GTX 1650 model. This EVGA one apparently needs UEFI for instance, or so the people on the EVGA forum say.

The most up to date BIOS officially available for the XPS 8300 is version A06. This is a legacy BIOS and not UEFI - there is no UEFI BIOS for the XPS 8300 it seems. Someone did manage to cheat and get A07 on it (which is risky anyway), but despite rumours A07 would introduce UEFI, the person who got it working here says it didn't. In that topic when some people were having this with much older GPUs, the GPU maker gave them a non-UEFI BIOS for the card, but it's highly unlikely they have these for modern GPUs.

Someone apparently asked Gigabyte if that GTX 1650 OC was compatible with Legacy BIOS but were told UEFI only. Although customer service reps can say all sorts of things... This person apparently was told a GTX 1650 Windforce by Gigabyte does work on legacy BIOS. Though I wouldn't necessarily take that to the bank.

(NB: the Windforce, does need a 6 pin connector from the PSU, which you seem to have, and there are plenty of reports of people using their Dell PSUs with new GPUs fine, but at this stage I wouldn't take anything as a given... You can apparently run a 1650 that has a power connector without it, at least on some systems...)

You could contact Gigabyte support to ask whether the specific GPU you have supports legacy BIOS, and if not whether any of their GTX 1650s do support legacy BIOS.

And return the card as/if necessary, or if you don't hear back from Gigabyte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS