Headphone random conversation

Page 6 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I have only used headphones the once since getting them (to play games in) and it was my bathys for a few hours. I only stopped as a sound effect in one game was driving me mad.
I might try my IEM attached to a DAC that in turn is attached to PC via USB, next time to play a game. They don't squeeze head as much as some headphones might.
I got side tracked... one day I might buy a gaming headset but right now I don't really need to.

I have had my DAP a month now. It was meant to have 100 hours burn in, its probably added up to that in the last few weeks. Try to listen to music sometime in the day, for a few hours. The last few times its been to keep me awake.

I can't tell if it sounds any different as I have also been using new headphones that weren't great at blocking external noise themselves until last week, and that greatly effects the amount of bass you get. I swapped the eartips to a bigger size - I originally thought I had largest on.. instead I had smallest lol. They sound much better now... I should wear other IEM occasionally too. Only one set of ears and 3 new sets of headphones in the last 6 months... I blame @anort3 (since CT not here).

I haven't felt need to alter its sound signature at all. Which is funny as it has so many ways to do it. One reason I chose it was for one of them. Guess headphones don't really need it.

@anort3

So there are still (many countless) things I don't understand...

I don't know why these headphones
gKQElxQ.jpeg

are easier to drive than these ones
9ZQbwmO.jpeg

Is it the frequency response? Or fact 2nd ones are planars?

and if my dap:
NaZO0YE.jpeg

can run these: (focal hadensys- comes with 3.5 and 6.5mm connectors - No balanced)
1bsEg0h.jpg

as if they can't I just buy something else in a few months. No point if they going to be underpowered.
BTR7 might be able to run them but I bought dap for a reason.

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
You have to look at both impedance and sensitivity when looking at how 'hard' something is to drive. Lower impedance is easier to drive and 16 ohms is very low. Higher sensitivity is easier to drive. So the 109db set would get louder with the same power than the 101db pair.

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
You should be fine with your DAP. Can't it run a Sennheiser HD600 or 650? Those are 300ohm headphones and WAY harder to drive than just about any IEM.

Some planars really need power though. More than their specs would suggest.

If I get the Bluetooth version of the K7 I can attach it to dap via BT and at least be able to use the dap as a source. That way i might be able to listen to music longer than I can if I just use DAP in class A High Gain mode. Some days I want to listen longer than a charge lasts. I expect it doesn't use as much power in Bluetooth mode.

Or I get a 3.5mm line out to RCA cable and attach DAP via line out and get actual Hi Res music as opposed to the compressed version over BT. DAP doesn't use AMP in line out mode so should last longer than it does when using them. It could be charging while it runs (though I do hear a hum on headphones if I charge them using DAP now)

It can only receive BT, it can't send. Can't use as base station for BT headphones as such. The Non BT version is cheaper but the BT one might be more useful later... who knows. I have bought everything in the wrong order all year.

So SPL = Sensitivity? So the focals are 105. They are in between the two IEM I have, and its impedence is 26 which is higher than the others but still classified as low (divide is 50) since headphones can be up to 600.

I am not buying anything now. Just research.

Last edited:
I was saving towards a future pair of headphones but one thing led to another and I bought a pair of these tonight.

Mainly as they are $220 less than normal and I didn't really want to miss the discount. They were cheap enough it won't stop me buying something else later on, just slow me down a little. It was a pair I wanted to listen to, just to see if I like their sound. Still working out what I like.

If DAP can't run them well, I know my BTR7 can. It might make sense to use it anyway attached to PC. It comes with a 3 metre cable so its not exactly designed for mobile use. Open back not ideal for keeping noise out. Or in.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts