Do you consider a game to be good if you can only enjoy it with mods?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
in summary its 2 questions

if the game is new and you can only enjoy it with mods, its probably not a good game**
If the game is old, and you can only enjoy/play it with mods, it might be a good game.

Most people don't try to keep games alive if they didn't enjoy them first time around. If you still trying to play a game 20 years after it was released, it has to have something special.

** If you have already finished game and want to play it with mods, I guess that could be an exclusion to the rule.

Seems its opinion then, how far are you willing to go to make a donkey into a thoroughbred. How deperate are you for them to actually deliver on the dream they sold you?

Star Citzen feels like dream fulfillment. We promise this amazing game you can do anything, just keep giving us money and we promise it will be released before Chris Roberts dies, honest... we just need to change recommended specs to a PC that won't exist for 20 years.

its funny when devs classify features as legacy that the players expect to be there. BF and no player charts comes to mind. But knowing you suck hurts peoples feelings so its just better that no one knows where they stand... and means we don't have to track stats.

Reactions: Pifanjr
in summary its 2 questions

if the game is new and you can only enjoy it with mods, its probably not a good game**
If the game is old, and you can only enjoy/play it with mods, it might be a good game.

Most people don't try to keep games alive if they didn't enjoy them first time around. If you still trying to play a game 20 years after it was released, it has to have something special.

** If you have already finished game and want to play it with mods, I guess that could be an exclusion to the rule.
That's a good way to look at it. In most cases, you're probably right. What Brian said is probably the exception to the rule.

Reactions: Brian Boru
thats different to being a bad game that is only fun after its modded. Thats more like the 2 I mentioned, good games that are still good by themselves but if you played them for a long time, you need mods to really enjoy or its just more of the same.

Games that have one bad aspect that can be fixed with a mod to make great. That is more the subject.
I was going off the title of the thread instead, which doesn't specify whether you like(d) the game without mods, to expand on the discussion.

note: remembers a year ago when saying Minecraft would have your post like bombed for about 400 (same as this post here). Its much quieter now :)

I'm still a bit wary to mention Minecraft to this day. It feels like a bad word now.

I think mod support is part of the game.

If I can have a good time with a game, modded or not, it's a good game.

It's a bit like overclocking. A good PC could run poorly at stock, but great if you overclocked it. This was probably more prevalent 5-7 years ago, but the point stands.

A game can be considered great with mods, albeit it's not released or played as intended by the developers but personally feel that they've given the community the opportunity to improve the game and make tweaks to have a happier consumer fan base is a smart move.

I've only ever played Skyrim with mods and it made it a hundred times more enjoyable with all the little tweaks (mostly aesthetic and menu layout). I did play this before modding it and it helps with the replay ability factor in my eyes.

I'm due another run through on The Witcher 3, so I'll try a few for that as well to change the experience now.

I must admit, I absolutely hate the fact you can have Thomas the Tank steaming rolling his way through Dark Souls and whatever other games he's modded into, that for me just kills the feel and vibe of the game.

albeit it's not released or played as intended by the developers
We had a thread about that last year, which is relevant to this discussion.

Reactions: HenrykForkbeard
I have never used a mod in a game but i have finally found a game that i wound like to add extra content to because i have done everything the game has to offer until the devs add more.

The game i am referring to is SATISFACTORY .... i posted on stream discussions i was looking for extra content and a few players said dont do it , they did and they were convinced it broke the game

I mostly dislike how the models don't match the animations and the lighting of the game. If they made proper animations and lighting and it might actually work.
It still wouldn't work for me personally. I don't find it enjoyable or humorous to be running around as Homer Simpson slaying demons. It takes away from the setting and feeling of the lands I'm in.

Reactions: Pifanjr
It depends on where the mods are used, like maybe enhancing graphics and giving higher fps to the player. Another thing is that some games are hard to play, and some players develop mods for them to make their gameplay easier. I think better can use these shortcuts but don't have the right to brag about finishing the game if they did so.

Games are made to challenge players. If players use mods to cheat, then they're just lying to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS