Dell Inspiron 7559

Aug 26, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone. Have a question regarding an older gaming laptop as the title states. Just added 8GB of ram and was going to add an SSD but when I opened the back of the laptop there is already a spot using the ssd. I'll post a pic. Is it worth changing out the SSD?
this is what I purchased as I thought i was without and SSD. I have a photo of the current piece occupying the SSD slot but am not able to attach a picture in this thread. New to this forum.
Thank you ahead for the help :)
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 250GB - M.2 SATA Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-N6E250BW)

Aug 26, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone. Have a question regarding an older gaming laptop as the title states. Just added 8GB of ram and was going to add an SSD but when I opened the back of the laptop there is already a spot using the ssd. I'll post a pic. Is it worth changing out the SSD?
this is what I purchased as I thought i was without and SSD. I have a photo of the current piece occupying the SSD slot but am not able to attach a picture in this thread. New to this forum.
SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD 250GB - M.2 SATA Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-N6E250BW)
these are the specs of my laptop. I think I answered my own question...
Dell 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (6th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-6300HQ Processor up to 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M, Windows 10)

You probably wouldn't notice the difference going from one of those SSD's to another in daily use.

If you want to add a photo I use Imgur to host the image and link it to the post by copying BBcode. I don't actually know another way, but I know they exist :ROFLMAO:

Aug 26, 2021
Visit site
Wow thank you for the response! I greatly appreciate it. I noticed there is an empty spot on the back of the laptop. I found a video on youtube the item is

seagate st1000lm024

Would adding this be beneficial?

Aug 26, 2021
Visit site
thanks again! guys were adding storage to the laptop and moving some files dedicated to one driver to speed up some game loading etc. Was wondering if it was worth it now since the laptop is a little dated..

Aug 26, 2021
Visit site
Man I really appreciate your responses. There isn't the same SSD slot as the one already installed is occupying. It's a lmost a square 5inchx5inch cutout with one cable...

Are you saying you already have a mechanical hard drive installed? I thought you were going to buy one, that's why I suggested getting a larger SSD for the empty slot. Games load quite a bit faster from an SSD and as they have no moving parts they are a little more durable in a laptop too.

That being the case you can just keep Windows on the drive you already have it on, it wont be any faster if you move it.

Aug 26, 2021
Visit site
apologies. I do not have a mechanical hard drive. You are correct. I was asking because I have seen videos where they had to move files and programs around. Will I have to mess with windows at all? I guess I could just move all the games to the new SSD?

You dont need to touch the Windows installation at all.

To be honest I'm not sure whether you would need to do anything in the BIOS, I dont think so. But you might need to use disk manager in Windows to format the new drive ready for use.

Type 'disk management' into search and you'll find it :)

heyyy,

this link is for windows 7 and earlier...

should i still proceed?

It says for Windows 8 and later directly after that line. But it is a bit wrong after after that, sorry I should have checked more closely. It seems you got past the first bit anyway.

You can also just type in 'disk' to the search bar next to the start button. The first option should be 'create and format hard drive partitions'.

When you say you are unable to right click, I'm guessing you mean that right clicking on the unallocated space does nothing, no drop down menu appears to create a simple volume?

It does recognize the drive is there and lists it as Drive 0 unallocated space in black?

Aug 26, 2021
Visit site
Sorry for the delay I've been working. Thank you for the kind response. You are correct... When I right click the unallocated space does nothing, no drop down menu... I'm not sure if it recognizes the drive....

It's showing Disk O and Disk 1

Is there a possibility that I could installed the SSD incorrectly?

Anythings possible. :)

Double check you have the SATA data and power cables attached properly. You should just be able to right click on the black unallocated space and create a new 'simple volume' afaik. I dont know why it would read the drive as installed and then not do anything.

@Lutfij @Colif and @Brian Boru are smarter at this stuff than me, maybe they have an idea? I might have missed something simple but I cant think what.

TRENDING THREADS