Computer keyboards.

Feb 18, 2024
Visit site
Ok new guy here. So I use EVO Core mechanical keyboards, a pink roll up keyboard, and a membrane keyboard. My family found me the 3 or 4 mechanical EVO Core they bought them for me. So Why are mechanical keyboards so popular. I git told you only buy cheap once then get the most expensive. No if mine does the same thing that the other one does so then why buy a expensive?

So which one do you use and why do you enjoy it?

dnTpnWd.jpg

Reactions: neogunhero
Welcome to the forum!

Its honestly just personal choice at this point. Mechanical keyboards allow you to swap keys and use switches which is its main selling point and its reason why its more expensive than other keyboards. It provides a good sound when typing and then, for me personally, i find mechanical keyboards more responsive and more comfortable to use when playing multiplayer. Mechanical keyboards are also a lot sturdier than a membrane because they are made with metal, usually.

Membrane keyboards are quieter, sleeker and more affordable.

Quick google search found me a good Q&A about the differences, but in the end its always personal choice.

Apr 4, 2023
Visit site
Mechanical keyboards are popular mainly for their durability, tactile feel, and customization options. They tend to last longer and provide a more satisfying typing experience compared to membrane keyboards. However, if your current setup works well for you and meets your needs, that's what matters most. It's all about personal preference and what feels comfortable. I use a mechanical keyboard because I enjoy the tactile feedback and find it more responsive during gaming and typing.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 18, 2024
Visit site
Mechanical keyboards are popular mainly for their durability, tactile feel, and customization options. They tend to last longer and provide a more satisfying typing experience compared to membrane keyboards. However, if your current setup works well for you and meets your needs, that's what matters most. It's all about personal preference and what feels comfortable. I use a mechanical keyboard because I enjoy the tactile feedback and find it more responsive during gaming and typing.
I am using a cheap one now a metal one with mechanical keys. I also love the membrane keyboards.

Why are mechanical keyboards so popular. I git told you only buy cheap once then get the most expensive
Some newer mechanical keyboards can use optical keys which means you can essentially set up some keys to act like controller trigger keys, if you choose. It allows the activation point where the key registers to be set by the user instead of pre assigned.

Thats one reason.

Generally Mechanical keyboards from big names just sell them based on rgb or features. Smaller companies think about improving experience or customising keyboards.

Some Mechanical keyboards have dampening foam in them so that when you type they make less noise.
Some let you swap the keycaps or switches.
Some only come as chassis and let you choose all the parts you want in your keyboard, to make it truly unique.

My last 4 keyboards have been Mechanical. First 3 were from big brands and most of those don't allow swapping anything. The current one let me choose the colour of the keycaps and what switches I wanted in it.
eTEsJBM.jpg

Being able to replace almost all the parts in my keyboard means it should last a long time...

Last edited:
So if a usual suspect fails—eg WASD or Spacebar—can you have it fixed, given it's not a keycap problem? That would be good.
You can replace the switches as well.
My keyboard actually came with spare switches/keys so in theory I could replace a switch without needing to order an entire pack.
My understanding is the switch used on the spacebar is a different type as it is the key used the most on a keyboard, and I got a sample of all the switches so I could try them out and see which I liked compared to what I have now. I didn't bother swapping.
zrnyL22.jpg

Can you get keycaps with indentations? My KB has a little 'bump' on the W, which is handy for eyes-free location confirmation. Wish I had one on Left-Shift also…
Not that I had noticed but my keyboard has bumps on the F & J keys to let you know where you are. As well as one on the 5 key on the keypad since its not broken out from rest of keys so helps to know where that is.
There might be a keycap pack that has those features. The keys use a standard attachment method meaning I could buy these keycaps if I wanted to allow the rgb lighting to shine through
You aren't restricted to just using what they provide.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts