Total War Discussion Thread

Started a Mythical Troy game today on Normal difficulty with my chaos creating mods. Sure enough, it was chaos. Had to manually fight 3 battles by turn 13, one for my capital. Thankfully I won them all.

I burned up my Zeus favor, though, and won't get to do that again for 40 turns. Zeus gives you a plus 10 in diplomacy negotiations which allows you to rob everyone blind and get them to become allies..

I just started my mythical creature quest. Hopefully it goes fast and well. I'm going after Cerberus. With Cerberus, you can create armies of the dead. The advantage being that they have no upkeep at all. The problem will be defeating Cerberus and his army. I don't have very good units right now.

Was it good? It looked like it was sort of the worst of both worlds.
I thought it was interesting. No idea what the "worst of both worlds" means. It's good for people who want the mythological units, which are fun to play, but without the fantasy involved. So the minotaur's, for instance. are really just well-trained soldiers who traditionally wear a horned helmet. It's basically a theory of how the myths started. Your faction leaders are mere mortals and can die (but not by RNG like in Pharaoh). That's about it. Can't really think of anything wrong with it. It's a nice inclusion.

@HveðrungrIt's unsurprising that it feels a bit unbalanced. Most games go through balance changes, and I'm an amateur. These are very extreme mods for a game that is already vastly more difficult the Total War Warhammer games, where they actually work very well.

He's never particularly liked my chaos mods and prefers to play vanilla. I talked him into this. The problem is he picked Achilles who is on the coast, and I didn't pick Ajax, who I usually use to blockade Troy's ships from coming into land. So from about turn 8, he's had to deal with 3 or 4 armies at a time landing in his territory. Had he picked Agamemnon as he usually does, he would be mostly inland and only have to worry about a couple of cities.

But after I posted, we teamed up and wiped them out, and he's in a better mood. He's probably got about 10 turns before they show up again. He'll be fine because I will make endless Cerberus armies and post them in his territory. They don't replenish, but they make for great homeland defense units. Can put a 20 stack in every city. Then we can take off for Troy and end the game.

Last edited:
Armies of 3-headed dogs?

Yes. Mythos mode of TW: Troy features units from Greek mythology.

Troy_-Mythos-Cerberus-1920-1080-Bigger.jpg

Somebody told me that I couldn’t lay old games in a new PC. I’m looking for Rome 2: Total War and Red Alert 3. Can they be played? Oh and Company of Heroes.
Thats often more to do with new Windows versions than hardware unless youre talking games from 30 years ago I think. Compatibility is fairly good for stuff from the last 15 years AFAIK, and a lot of older stuff has community patches (mods) you can apply to get them working, or you can use other software to wrangle it. Theres always guides out there so you probably wouldnt have to work out yourself, if there were even any problems.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Thats often more to do with new Windows versions than hardware unless youre talking games from 30 years ago I think. Compatibility is fairly good for stuff from the last 15 years AFAIK, and a lot of older stuff has community patches (mods) you can apply to get them working, or you can use other software to wrangle it. Theres always guides out there so you probably wouldnt have to work out yourself, if there were even any problems.
Ok, so it means I can play em in a new PC?