Gaming Keyboards

I think I need a new keyboard.

My Corsair been doing odd things, mainly not syncing up with the Icue software often enough that I am starting to notice. It just takes plugging it back in but I shouldn't need to. Its not the first problem I have had with it syncing, but this is a different one. Before the rgb colors on KB didn't change like they should, I needed to blank Keyboard. This is more a communication problem.

Since I stopped buying a new Logitech keyboard every few years, I have used almost every keyboard maker I can think of
  1. Started with Microsoft
  2. Next was Razer
  3. Next was Logitech (the difference between this and previous Logitech KB was this was mechanical
  4. Currently on Corsair
  5. Might get a Steelseries Apex Pro TKL next
I like how this one uses detachable USB cables so you can replace it or use a different one if you chose.
I sort of want to try them, if only as I haven't before. I have used their mice for over 10 years, so I know they make good hardware.

1. Microsoft no longer make gaming keyboards
  2. I don't really like Razer software.
  3. Logitechs isn't much better either.
  4. No point buying another Corsair when they haven't changed a lot
  5. Already have Steelseries Engine installed so no change.
Any other ones I should look at?

Wired as wireless seems silly expensive for what it offers. The Apex Pro Wireless TKL is $700 here which is just crazy.

Last edited:
I was reading a Techradar review of the Steelseries Keyboard... they got confused

And, while the iCue software can be buggy – at this point, we can’t even remember how many times we’ve installed and uninstalled it on our computer – the adjustable actuation and dual actuation features work well and reliably.
Icue is the Corsair software... so did they have to reinstall it a lot or Steelseries Engine? Never had any problems with Steelseries Engine... Icue... um, yes... all with Keyboard. Sometimes Ram wouldn't work either.

Not rushing, its possible the keyboard problem I have is software.

Reactions: Brian Boru
While I have not used it for a long time (2 1/2 months) I believe I can recommend the Logitech G915 Lightspeed.

Pros:
  • Wireless using either lightspeed or Bluetooth with an easy-to-use cable for recharging.
  • Battery lasting anything from 1 to 2 weeks depending on usage with the lightspeed. Some say using Bluetooth will get longer battery life, but lower ms, but I can't confirm that.
  • You can color individual keys, which I really like.
  • G1-G5 for macroing stuff if wanted.
  • Thin and looks nice.
  • Keys are nice to write on and do not make too much noise like a Razer Mechanical would.
  • You can adjust light/connectivity/sound++. The sound can be adjusted with a scroll wheel on the keyboard which is I like because if there is suddenly high sounds on a YouTube video or something, I can more quickly turn down the volume.
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • On rare occasions (1-2 times a week), there are latency issues when typing very fast (the issue lasts for a couple of seconds and then is gone)
  • You need a smaller wrist rest because of how thin the keyboard is.

Last edited:
Logitech G915 Lightspeed.

Pro: can run for 110 hours on battery without lighting
Cons: runs 40 hours with lighting

I just watched a video on it :D
Trying to look at all alternatives. A lot of the better ones are from small brands I can't get here...

the lighting thing is a strong negative compared to just using a wired keyboard.
Ever since using a Razer keyboard without backlighting, I just refuse now.

It is cheaper than the Steelseries though. Price isn't really a concern outside of not going mad.
I spend so much time on Keyboard that I am willing to pay more.

My previous keyboard before Current was Logitech G915. Might have a longer break between them than just 1 kb.

The Steelseries Keyboard uses detachable USB cables meaning you can replace it or use another if you chose to. I have had a cable break before. Having to replace a kb because it stops working sux. I had to replace one keyboard because a key stopped working completely... that is annoying if you doing a course and suddenly the W key doesn't work.

Last edited:
Pro: can run for 110 hours on battery without lighting
Cons: runs 40 hours with lighting
Just jumping in before bed so not watched the video you linked, but if he says it only runs for 40 hours with lighting, I'm not sure what he has been smoking. This is my battery life right now with brightness at the lowest (that would be 25% brightness). I don't need full brightness, I see the blue light perfectly well. So that means I get roughly 5 full days using lighting which is probably not far from the truth since I charge it once a week.
smJlZ9A.jpg

The blue color I use:
ehP6JjG.jpg

Last edited:
If you need any extra functionality like macros, media keys or profiles, then I recommend Roccat. I've had one for a good few years, and described it here before, maybe here and there.

Productivity is a higher priority for me than gaming tho, so may not really suit—but it's been flawless in constant daily use for nearly 8 years.

Lutfij suggested a few names as well

I will look into it more before I buy anything

works out cheaper than the Steelseries as well.

Problem I have now is too much choice:

Do I get a TKL 75% - https://keychron.com.au/products/ke...om-mechanical-keyboard?variant=43240652505255

or an 80% - https://keychron.com.au/products/keychron-q3-pro-qmk-via-wireless-custom-mechanical-keyboard

or a 96% - https://keychron.com.au/products/keychron-q5-pro-qmk-via-wireless-custom-mechanical-keyboard

or a 100% - https://keychron.com.au/products/keychron-q6-pro-qmk-via-wireless-custom-mechanical-keyboard

I did read people complaining about hitting the Function keys randomly on the Q3

notices the Q3 Carbon Black color scheme is different to every other Keyboards Carbon Black

I so rarely use my number pad that tkl was what I was looking at.

Could come down to knob placement, not sure I like where it is on Q3, Q1 & Q5 have most logical spot... where it was originally. Where it is on my current one.

Also not sure what color to get either
I thought about silver

but black isn't bad either.

one other choice is white but it looks like an Apple then.

I was reading a Techradar review of the Steelseries Keyboard... they got confused

Icue is the Corsair software... so did they have to reinstall it a lot or Steelseries Engine? Never had any problems with Steelseries Engine... Icue... um, yes... all with Keyboard. Sometimes Ram wouldn't work either.

Not rushing, its possible the keyboard problem I have is software.
Never had any problems with SteelSeries Engine either, for what it's worth.

https://keychron.com.au/products/graphics-card-aluminium-alloy-artisan-keycap lol
replaces right shift key

The only downside I see to the Keychron keyboards is the keycaps don't let as much light through. But its all customisable so just need to work out which ones do let it through. All of the keycaps on their website are sold out it seems

OMG, too many options. Explodes. Who knew picking a keyboard could be so hard.

I can get keyboard and then choose keycaps after.

Picking a keyboard based on lighting... that sounds like a mistake to me. It is one of the reasons I would get Steelseries over this one. Its optical keys intrigue me but not entirely sure I need them.

Last edited:
https://keychron.com.au/products/graphics-card-aluminium-alloy-artisan-keycap lol
replaces right shift key

The only downside I see to the Keychron keyboards is the keycaps don't let as much light through. But its all customisable so just need to work out which ones do let it through. All of the keycaps on their website are sold out it seems

Picking a keyboard based on lighting... that sounds like a mistake to me. It is one of the reasons I would get Steelseries over this one. Its optical keys intrigue me but not entirely sure I need them.
I like how these retro, typewriter style keyboards look. If I were in the market, I might just buy this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Ralon-Mechanical-Typewriter-Style-Steampunk-Anti-Ghosting/dp/B07C238B44/

[Mod edit: cleaned link.]

Last edited by a moderator:
replaces right shift key

I've also had decent luck with Redragon half-keyboards and mice. Here's their full keyboard version that also comes with a mouse. They are usually good value for the price.

[Mod edit: cleaned link.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Redragon...

I don't even need to leave forums to know why I wouldn't buy one of theirs. They have a history of not supporting their older products.

I wasn't sure if you weren't just trolling me :)

I might be doing an accounting course for a year so its possible having a number pad would help after all, so back to looking at the full size or 96% versions.

Redragon...

I don't even need to leave forums to know why I wouldn't buy one of theirs. They have a history of not supporting their older products.

I wasn't sure if you weren't just trolling me :)

I might be doing an accounting course for a year so its possible having a number pad would help after all, so back to looking at the full size or 96% versions.
Wasn't trolling. Their half-keyboard was really good. Should have stated more explicitly that I'd never tried their full keyboards. Not sure why their connectivity would vary between the two, but I guess it does. No idea about their support. Never used it.

Probably get one of these in coming weeks.

its so new there aren't any videos of the Pro version.
Pro just means it has Blue tooth, others are wired, and uses better switches.

Full size makes most sense as every smaller size removes a key I use a lot - screenshot

BF deal only reduces price by $20, not sure I wait that long. Need to get it moving before all the BF freight slows entire system down - I ordered something around then last year and it took 3 weeks to get to me.

Glad I looked at what I had now as I was going to choose banana switches but it seems red more matches what I have now

height of key caps might force me to replace them as my current kb uses low profile keys - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/key...ard-cherry-mx-low-profile-speed-ch-9109018-na

more likely will. The difference between low profile and what current keys are like probably mean I need to get these which are closer to what I have now = https://keychron.com.au/collections...-shot-pbt-full-set-keycaps-black-on-white-bow

white keys on a black keyboard probably look good.

Almost work out cheaper to get the Steelseries... although I have swapped away from tkl so full size for it as well. but I could remap a key for the one function its missing now.

I hate being indecisive. Every other day its something new.

Last edited:
Looks at Asus... wonders... why is this so bad.
OMG
his example: Say you want to swap the insert key and del key positions on keyboard. Easy to do, just swap the keycaps.
  1. you select Insert key and choose reassign function
  2. There is no drop down list of functions, you press the key you want the new function to be.
  3. So now Insert = Del
  4. Next you want to rename Delete to be insert
  5. Select Del key and choose reassign key.
  6. Press Insert key but its already been assigned Del.
So you get 2 del keys and insert is gone forever?

this way is dumb, It should have a drop down list of all possible keys so you don't get stuck in a position where you can't swap 2 keys. You lose functions

I don't have any way to confirm this has been fixed in 9 months.

So the 2 keyboard makers that sit on top of almost all Keyboard ranking charts have bad software. I pity people who don't look... at least razer are fixing Synapse.

removes a key I use a lot - screenshot

It's easy to remap a function to any key—I can post info in Software thread if you need.

height of key caps might force me to replace them

Nah, just put a cushion on your chair—that's how I learned to drive when I was 5.

white keys on a black keyboard probably look good

Wish I had that, it's my one gripe with my KB that it's white letters on black keycaps = harder to see.
I hate being indecisive

Good decision.

PS so nice to see you in your Razer fanboy outfit!

Reactions: ZedClampet
Someone on a Discord shot down the idea of buying Keychron as he has had 3 of their keyboards and they all died within a few months and their customer service is horrible.

So after thinking I knew what I was getting, having found faults with all the others I had considered, I am probably just going to buy a white K70 Pro RGB - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/key...bt-double-shot-pro-keycapswhite-ch-910951a-na
its basically just an upgraded version of keyboard I have now. There are enough changes to make it new. Its not just its color.
Changes include:
  • They now have detachable USB cables which is really nice as I have had one keyboard die from cable breaking - it just did not like how I use keyboards... that was a Razer. It hasn't happened since. Possible negative (for some) to this is it lost USB pass through but I never used it.
  • New one can store way more rgb patterns on the physical hardware. current one can store 3 profiles... which can't be very complicated, whereas the new one can store 50 profiles, though it depends on complexity of lighting patterns. Lets see how many I can save on it. More layers I add likely reduce number but I only have 5 Profiles now that I use and most of the complexity of those is not on keyboard.
  • The new one can have up to 20 layers of rgb on each profile saved on mouse I mean, keyboard.
  • it doesn't need icue on the PC to run the profiles that are stored on keyboard.
  • New keyboard has 8mb of onboard storage to store those profiles in.
  • AS well as an on-board SoC which increases polling rate and manages the lighting on keyboard - I would be impressed but my steelseries mice have had an arm CPU in them for 8 years now.
  • it has Optical switches. Not as tricky as the ones in Apex Pro but still better than current ones. More responsive. Don't need to press keys as hard to get a response.
  • Newer high quality key caps that don't wear out as fast.
mMlazVF.jpg

I can't find out much at all about Axon. All I can find is its an SoC and was first in their mice to increase polling rate. 8k is slow, you can get mice with 21k now... which is just silly.
its the cheapest Keyboard I have looked at.
PS so nice to see you in your Razer fanboy outfit!
I am willing to let them prove me wrong. Not by buying anything off them without reading proof that its actually happened first. Logitech eventually worked out that having good software helps, so there is hope for Razer. If they can fix it, maybe we can get Asus to fix theirs next.

Still stuck,

Can't decide if I want a K100 or a K70. At least I have restricted choice down to just corsair now.
K100 has almost all the features mentioned for the K70 except no detachable USB cable, It also has better quality keycaps and a clearer font was used as well. Slightly faster latency, but they both fine in that regard, can run at 8k. K100 has more integration with Icue that K70, and more rgb bling. Has more macro keys as well. 5 G keys that can be set to be anything.

Can't get K100 with the switches I want until next week unless I buy it locally and pay more for the convenience.
Have to order K70 online to get white model with right switches.

almost bought both of them at one stage tonight... have to think about something else... I was going to but keyboard misbehaved today so it reminded me.

remembered a name
Trying to find negative reviews

Cheaper than most of the keyboards I have looked at and is wireless.
Waiting for someone to tell me no lol.

Last edited:
I can't find any negative reviews for the NuPhy96

All glowing.

I have been looking for them.

Battery life isn't amazing, I would need to charge more often than say if I paid more for a logitech G915 but there are advantages, like replaceable everything. The G915 keycaps start to wear thin

battery life is 200 hours without rgb on, and 5 to 10 with it on max... I probably find somewhere inbetween there as it doesn't need to have all its rgb on. Black text on white keycaps resolves the ability to see the letters... so might not need rgb on at all.

Ever since having a Razer keyboard with no backlighting I have refused to consider it. I can always order shine through caps, but they are black keys. I like how the black keyboard has mostly white keycaps anyway... the white one is too white.

comparison between it & Keychron
Everything says buy it

So I did.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
I was also looking for a new keyboard, and I'm thinking of trying a mechanical one. But I’ve never met her before and I’m afraid that soon this clicking sound will begin to irritate me. Does anyone use this, tell me is it worth it?

Not used mechanical before?
I will be on my 4th. each one has been quieter along way.

Just pick a keyboard with quiet switches - https://switchandclick.com/the-best-quiet-mechanical-keyboards/

there are different key switches that offer different sound output.
for instance - https://www.cherrymx.de/en/cherry-mx/mx-original/mx-silent-red.html

once i get new one, I will let you know the difference. I expect its dampening will reduce the noise compared to my current one.

From what I have read/seen in videos, it should be pretty quiet.

I didn't really choose it for that, I just wanted wireless as had problems with cables before, probably as I use keyboard on my lap instead of on a table and cables get moved almost every day. Could wear them out. wireless gives me freedom.

possibly quieter switches than what I chose, I went with Baby Raccoon

Last edited:
  • Love
I think quiet is relative. Against a rubber dome keyboard even silent switches are loud in my experience. Source: My wife and her family who always complain my Cherry silent switches are very loud compared to their Macs.

First mech board I had browns, I put O rings to dampen them a bit. They were louder than what I have now, but not too bad. Second was a Corsair with cherry reds, sounded like I was hitting a tiny drum kit whenever I was typing, horrible.

• Haha
i have cherry mx speed low profile switches in this one. Its not built for quiet. But I feel compared to the first Razer mechanical I had, its a lot quieter. Not sure if the G Romer switches in the G910 were quieter than what I have now - https://gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/1698-logitech-g910-orion-spark-rgb-keyboard-review

mum never complains about hearing my keyboard so it can't be that bad. I hear her more when she uses her PC as I hear her drop mouse on table. I don't complain.

Funny if i had bought a G915 I wouldn't have changed number a lot.

I can't remember how quiet a dome keyboard is... its been so long. They do wear out faster... or can (waits for Brian) compared to mechanical.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/blog/mechanical-vs-membrane-keyboards-which-ones-for-you/ but are quieter. Its a trade off. They can feel mushy

I bought my K70 3 years ago this month so I guess it was due for replacement. It mostly works still, just isn't working with the software that is meant to control it. Next one doesn't talk to it at all. I lose ability to control rgb in case from keyboard but that hasn't worked without plugging keyboard in every day so I will just set RGB to a pattern I like and ignore it. I could have done that anyway but the keyboard has been doing other things as well. i broke a keycap on it over a year ago and have been using spares that came with Keyboard. they don't feel the same.
65YrHrv.jpg

only broke one but they a different size/shape to surrounding so made sense to replace all.

see how it goes but might replace keycaps with these next year - https://www.umart.com.au/product/hy...ey-translucent-pudding-keycap-set-white-63104 show most light through of any keycap. My current ones block most light.

New keyboard misses 3 keys that I never use anyway - Pause, Scroll Lock, and Insert. I won't miss them.

I just realised I have been avoiding wireless keyboards for a reason. Although that reason is now outdated as the technology is much better now. 20+ years ago I had a massive hard time with a Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse set, so much so that I refused to get wireless keyboards ever since. I have had a few wireless mice since but never keyboards.

I don't expect the same problems this time. I haven't attached anything wireless to PC but Bluetooth works fine. The aerial is about 3 metres from me, it has a range of at least 10metres (the keyboard). Keyboards wireless Dongle will be about same distance.

Worst case scenario the cable should easily reach me. And polling rate is faster on wired so might use that for gaming anyway.

Last edited:
(waits for Brian)

Eh, what? No need, you go on ahead, I'll catch up.

Apparently my Roccat Isku is a membrane KB, dunno if 'dome' or not. Driver takes some wrangling, but works fine when you figure it out. Can't comment re noise, it's not a consideration in that I don't notice it—but now you've drawn my attention to it, it's not quiet.

Unless you have other people around, I wouldn't worry about noise—it very quickly becomes 'inaudible background' like traffic hum. Same should apply to other people too, but of course everyone's different.

My Isku also has RGB, it's just that the RG is missing—but it's the thought that counts. And the blue is useful in my darkish desk area to show keys on black KB.

Reactions: Iriiiiinaaaa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts