Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 52 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
My former employer has gone nuts with AI. Currently, they are having the AI write all the blog posts and marketing on their website, but that's just the beginning. The software team is integrating AI into the audit process, and soon AI will take information entered by the customer and fully write the audit and recs. This will be reviewed by the consultant (my former job) in charge of the account before being sent on to the customer. The auditors who report to the consultants are only going to be coordinating data acquisition with the financial institution and auditors who leave the company won't be replaced.

The audit job starts, depending on experience, anywhere from around 100k (recent college grads) to substantially more (my top auditor who had been there since the company started was at around $175k), so getting rid of them will save the owners a ton of money (as of this moment, there's no plan to get rid of them). That's a hell of a lot of salary for data acquisition, though, and I can't see that going on forever. Personally, though, if I were the CSO of a financial institution, I wouldn't pay $15,000.00 for an audit created by AI. I wouldn't pay anything for it, but if I did, you'd have to cut that price by a huge percentage. You simply aren't charging me that much if you didn't have to pay for labor. So this transition may not be as smooth for them as they think.

My wife (COO) is battling the changes, but the CEO and President are all in. The word when my wife went there shortly after I retired was that she was next in line for CEO (the current CEO is in her late 70s), but my wife has caused so much friction over AI that she'll be lucky to keep her job. She's refusing to back down, and is one reason they aren't planning to outright let people go, so I don't know what's going to happen. Hardly a week goes by without someone offering her a job, so she's not that worried about it.

It is very sobering to think of all the people who could lose their jobs, though. Or in this case, simply never get the jobs to begin with. I hope other companies are not headed in the same direction.

Zloth

Community Contributor
This will be reviewed by the consultant (my former job) in charge of the account before being sent on to the customer.
Wow, that is NOT good. The AI better have very good confidence indicators that work just about perfectly. Wouldn't it be better to use the AI in addition to the human, and maybe have somebody who checks the reports from both to focus in on where they differ? That would let the company use the strengths of both.

I think as a customer I would be extremely wary. If the audit isn't accurate, there's no point in doing it no matter what the price is.

Well, just damn. I have to stop listening to one side of my wife's phone conversations. The blog posts stuff I wrote is accurate. The rest of the stuff is "not any time soon and possibly not acceptable to regulators anyway" per my wife this morning over coffee. I asked her if all that I heard was just planning, and she said, "Sort of. We don't know what we're doing, but whatever it is, we don't want to be the second to do it."

I think the fear is someone can, in a sense, sort of mass produce very low cost audits and sort of corner the market. Banks hate to pay for audits. Everyone hates to pay for audits. Everyone hates to prepare for audits. If you could do anything to make that process cheaper and easier, you'd have a big advantage.

However serious it was. They were arguing over it. It got kind of heated. But apparently there are no actual plans, as of right now, to have AI doing audits by itself. She said the first step would be to have AI rewrite audits and recs and that this would have to be reviewed by the auditor, who had already written the original audit, so it would actually be more work rather than less.

And just speculation on my part as I've had more time to think about it, but it's probable the AI would be too thorough or exacting to work completely on its own. If you put a recommendation down on paper, even though it's called a recommendation, regulators expect the financial institution to act on it. An AI that cranked out 100 recommendations per audit would probably be unplugged, disassembled and have its precious metals melted and sold off :grinning: An audit needs to be "reasonable" and that requires humans for now.

We usually pretend audits cover everything. And some things they absolutely have to catch 100 percent of the time. But there are SO many regulations that any auditor in a bad mood could make any bank's life miserable--and possibly even result in the collapse of the financial institution, and I bet an AI would pose this same threat. You have to consider a lot of different things and make judgment calls considering risk levels, etc. The whole thing requires a level of subtlety that would be hard to get from an AI. But that's not going to stop people from trying to use it in various capacities.

But sorry for the misinformation. I'm now going to shop for noise cancelling headphones :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
That gave me a good laugh!
She's on the right track tho:

The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next
—Ursula K Le Guin

Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing
—Warren Buffett

Not knowing anything is the sweetest life
—Sophocles

What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance
—Bertrand Russell

Had a good day today. Drove to see my kids and pay off their school bills. I've saved money for 20 years in anticipation of today, and my kids' combined tuition and books came to $257 :ROFLMAO:

Actually, Guido's was close to $400, but my daughter is actually turning a small profit by going to college. This led to an unexpected windfall, so I paid for their townhouse to the end of 2023 and bought them both the highest tier school meal plans.

The only problem now is taxes and reimbursing myself for the rent since that was not a school expense? I don't know anything about this even though I paid into it for 20 years haha. I'm just going to call the guy who refuses to fudge my taxes and do whatever he says.

Son and daughter are pushing hard to get jobs as lifeguards. My daughter was a lifeguard at YMCA in Murfreesboro. Guido has never been a lifeguard, but he's been swimming since he could walk, so passing the test wouldn't be a problem for him.

Best swimmer I've ever seen in person was this lifeguard from Russia at a South Carolina beach. Someone swam way out and started to struggle, and this lifeguard cut through the waves swimming at what had to be almost an Olympic freestyle pace and was at the person in mere moments. Never considered myself a good swimmer anymore after watching him. Knocked myself down to just decent :grinning:

Bought the Logitech g915 lightspeed keyboard. I'm fed up with wires so from now on everything will be wireless. My mouse, keyboard & headset is wireless and when my soundbar stops working, that will be next. No more wires, no more wires, gobble gabble, no more wires!

I've tried wireless because of the mess of cables, but then you have to deal with batteries and possible connection issues and in my opinion that's a far greater bother than the cables.

My keyboards have always been wired—KB just sits there, so wire is dispositioned once, and done.

My headsets changed to wireless a few years ago when I had a lot of Skype calls—it was great to be able to wander into the kitchen & do stuff while chatting, whenever I didn't need a PC screen in front of me.

However, bad experience with batteries, especially replacing dead ones, plus the Skype work reducing a lot, has had e back on wired last ~2 years. Don't like it due to wire entanglement, but cheaper than replacing dead duds every so often.

Mouse is wireless and has been for a long time—always found cord a drag in the GODs, even with one of those weighted cord holders. I've developed an auto-habit of plugging in the USB charging cable when I stop for dinner—no AAs or AAAs to fiddle with.

gQBQl0F.png

I do agree
My headsets changed to wireless a few years ago when I had a lot of Skype calls—it was great to be able to wander into the kitchen & do stuff while chatting, whenever I didn't need a PC screen in front of me.

However, bad experience with batteries, especially replacing dead ones, plus the Skype work reducing a lot, has had e back on wired last ~2 years. Don't like it due to wire entanglement, but cheaper than replacing dead duds every so often.
I do agree that a wireless headset is nicer, especially since you can then easily switch between using it for your PC and your phone. However, our wireless headphones did stop charging its batteries after only 1,5 years or so. Luckily within the warranty period, but it was still a bother to deal with.

Bought the Logitech g915 lightspeed keyboard. I'm fed up with wires so from now on everything will be wireless. My mouse, keyboard & headset is wireless and when my soundbar stops working, that will be next. No more wires, no more wires, gobble gabble, no more wires!
Have fun charging batteries.

My 86-year-old dad is getting married. I can't eyeroll enough for that. But whenever I have come up with a hairbrained scheme, he always just said, "Well, if that makes you happy, then do it." So today that's what I told him.

My wife can't stand the woman (Loretta), so as soon as I got a chance, I suggested to her that she could start calling Loretta "Mom". I got light-headed from laughing so hard. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if my dad and Loretta had been present so that my wife would have had to have responded politely. The fear would have been that she would have thrown all that politeness right away lol

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yep, I know, but even that is a hassle compared to a wire. The wire doesn't get in the way at all for me, so it's hard to see a need for even that. Hmm.... I wonder....

My mouse sensitivity is set pretty high (low?) so I can go from one corner of my screen to the other without my wrist having to move. Maybe that's why the wire isn't a bother at all? If it were set the other way, which helps a lot when trying to be precise, that wire could easily be a bother. Are you wireless folks set so you can't just "finger mouse"?

Are you wireless folks set so you can't just "finger mouse"?
We had a thread in Shooters about DPI a few days ago. Looks like the majority of shooter players go for lower DPI, altho some don't, maybe balancing high with low Sensitivity in games with that setting.

wire doesn't get in the way at all for me
Well then, you're good—and your mice should be a bit cheaper too :)

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
I have a challenge for everyone: No shampoo/conditioner, deodorants, or body/beard soaps for a month starting today. The only thing you are allowed to use is regular bar soap (preferably natural) for your hands. Why this challenge? Because I want to see just how much you really need those products. I shower once a week with most products, but why not just quit completely and let the body do the job it was intended to do instead? You can rinse/scrub your body with as much water as you need, just no products allowed. Ok, the challenge is up! Good luck to me and those joining!;)

Last edited:
I have a challenge for everyone: No shampoo/conditioner, deodorants, or body/beard soaps for a month starting today. The only thing you are allowed to use is regular bar soap (preferably natural) for your hands. Why this challenge? Because I want to see just how much you really need those products. I shower once a week with most products, but why not just quit completely and let the body do the job it was intended to do instead? You can rinse/scrub your body with as much water as you need, just no products allowed. Ok, the challenge is up! Good luck to me and those joining!;)

I've done that and discovered my body doesn't just start cleaning itself, sadly. I just got a layer of dead skin, greasy hair and t-shirt armpits that still smelled after being washed. You definitely don't need nearly as much soap as most people think, but I would recommend using some.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts