Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 49 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
A game controller seems like a good idea to me. If you only need inputs that a controller can cover, why not? Plus, you could have one or two spares sitting right there.

Dark chocolate, white chocolate, milk chocolate - whatever, makes no difference to me. I'll take the dark because most others won't. (Same goes for black licorice vs. red.)
For me, it's not that they were using a game controller. The military uses Xbox controllers for a lot of things, and Ukraine is using the Steam Deck to run turrets. Its that it was described as an off-brand controller. I've had a lot of bad experiences with off-brand controllers, but I later found out the one on the sub was a Logitech, so that's not completely terrible. At least it wasn't some $20 deal off Amazon.

A game controller seems like a good idea to me. If you only need inputs that a controller can cover, why not? Plus, you could have one or two spares sitting right there.

Dark chocolate, white chocolate, milk chocolate - whatever, makes no difference to me. I'll take the dark because most others won't. (Same goes for black licorice vs. red.)
You lost me at licorice, I dont even like the normal stuff and then people tried to spike me with this nonsense.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ftok3T1GA

Speaking of spreads people find weird. Apparently the rest of the world finds America's massive consumption of peanut butter weird.

The numbers I find indicate that a lot of West Europe eats about as much peanut butter per capita as the US.

I personally just ate 6 slices of bread with peanut butter, which is my standard lunch on days I have to go to the office.

The numbers I find indicate that a lot of West Europe eats about as much peanut butter per capita as the US.

I personally just ate 6 slices of bread with peanut butter, which is my standard lunch on days I have to go to the office.
I eat peanut butter actually every day. Goes in smoothies or porridge in the morning. Any chocolate bar or cereal thats has peanut butter in it I have to try.

I do get the 100% peanut stuff though, so no oil or extra sugar. Maybe thats a bit weird?

Definitely not as weird as strawberry jam and mayo though.
Apparently I have to be careful getting all my knowledge from YouTube videos.

I eat the 100 percent peanut as well.

exiled Brit and a guy with a wife from the U.S
Not only that, both are also suffering a kid infestation, so brains are bound to be… well, like peanut butter!

Speaking of such infestations, a YT channel which might win you almost tolerable dad of the year plaudits is Jelle's Marble Runs—looks like season 4 of Marbula One is in full swing at the moment.

I watched season 2 I think, it was great fun. It's Formula 1 racing, but with marbles. Teams, glassy-eyed personalities, close run races, crashes and pile-ups—but what makes it all, great commentary.

If your little tyke gets you hooked, I want regular updates on how my Green Ducks are doing—is Mallard still team captain, does Quackser still fold in a tight finish, etc?

A horror pic for y'all:

hN2JXRR.png

I remember some guys having a pager in 1995. Very important guys since they always beeped.
I had a pager in 1995, as did my wife. I used to amuse myself by paging her and spelling out things with numbers. That doesn't make any sense to me now, as I can't remember how pagers worked, but I know I used to do it.

My doctor told me to lose 30 pounds. So far I've lost 13 pounds in a little over two weeks. Today I've eaten a cup of blueberries and a slice of cheese.

Yes, I'm aware that I'm losing weight "too quickly" by conventional wisdom. No, I don't really care. I find it easiest to lose weight if I go extreme. Trying to lose 2 or 3 pounds a week is excruciating. Every time I eat anything, I want to eat more. And the diet just goes on forever. Then you have weeks where you don't lose anything at all for whatever reason. Just not eating is the way to go.

Reactions: Pifanjr
How many payphones are left in your state/country/province? I haven't though about payphones in years, but I remember using them as a kid, especially in high school. Having a pocket full of quarters to make a phone call, especially a long distance call. "Please deposit $1.80 for the next 3 minutes." And then standing there and plugging quarter after quarter into the phone. Of course the cell phone age changed all that.

It only came to mind because I read a local news article that there are less than 50 payphones left in the state of Maine, down from 5400 in 2001. They're fading away, just like the drive-in movie theater.

How many payphones are left in your state/country/province? I haven't though about payphones in years, but I remember using them as a kid, especially in high school. Having a pocket full of quarters to make a phone call, especially a long distance call. "Please deposit $1.80 for the next 3 minutes." And then standing there and plugging quarter after quarter into the phone. Of course the cell phone age changed all that.

It only came to mind because I read a local news article that there are less than 50 payphones left in the state of Maine, down from 5400 in 2001. They're fading away, just like the drive-in movie theater.

Looks like there are 28 left in my area. Not sure about the state. Maybe a couple hundred based on the size of the list.

Long distance was such a racket. Growing up I had a friend who lived about 8 miles away from me who was "long distance". I guess the most surprising thing is that cell companies didn't keep it alive.

Reactions: Brian Boru
What, you never learned to hack long-distance? Talk to Zed, it was probably started by one of his relatives.

Don't think I've used a payphone since the 90s.
I actually did "hack" it in college. Had a long distance girlfriend and that crap just wasn't going to cut it. Didn't feel bad about it then, and I don't feel bad about it now. If they had charged something reasonable, it would have been different. My phone bill was about $400 before I figured out the secret. There is, however, a slight chance that someone else was getting charged for my phone calls. If that's the case, then I do feel badly about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru