Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 47 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I'm going to make a video game. I've got a few ideas I'm thinking through. I might hire a 3D modeler. Might not. Going to start there, trying to make a 3D model and see how it goes. If I can make an acceptable one, I'll just do all the model making myself. I'm not worried about how long it takes. I'm not likely to finish the game anyway due to health issues. I just want a project I can get lost in once Guido leaves in a couple of months.

Does anyone know how you paint a 3D model? What software you would use, etc?

Also, has anyone heard of an AI program that creates 3D models? I know Nvidia is working on one. I really don't want to either hire someone, but I suspect my 3D models will look like a 5 year old made them. I can paint them just fine once they are done (as soon as I figure out how you would go about that).

Edit: never mind on the AI. Last I checked there weren't any. Now there are a ton.

Last edited:
I'm going to make a video game
Attaboy! You want to make a separate thread about it, if you feel like chronicling progress, triumphs, setbacks, etc?

There are a few posts in this thread from #52 on which might have a useful morsel. Another tiny morsel, and one more.

My top advice is to start with something much smaller than what you seem to have in mind. If/when I ever get to have a go, I'll likely start with a simple 2D no-action game—since I love word games, I'll probably try a Hangman… the world needs more Hangmans, right?

Seriously tho… don't underestimate the value of a small win on your motivation to continue—or the corollary, the danger of a big project drowning you before you even get going.

Are you thinking of no-code, or one of the engines, or…?

Attaboy! You want to make a separate thread about it, if you feel like chronicling progress, triumphs, setbacks, etc?

My top advice is to start with something much smaller than what you seem to have in mind.

Are you thinking of no-code, or one of the engines, or…?
1) I'll make a thread for it once I'm properly making it.

2) Actually, while I intend to make the game 3D, the game I've settled on is very small. I have no idea how long it would take to make. Right now I'm planning on 10 one screen levels that are meant to be continuously replayed at higher and higher difficulty settings. You will attempt to get through all 10 levels, and then the levels might be rebuilt at random to make things fresh, and you start back through them on a higher difficulty.

3) I'm already reasonably familiar with Unreal engine, so I might as well use that.

I'm already reasonably familiar with Unreal engine
Oh well that's diff, you're a lot more advanced than it seemed—Unreal is the most difficult of the main general-public engines as far as I know. Nice :)

That's a nice idea, iterating thru a small number of screens with evolving constraints. You should be able to prove the concept with just 2 levels I guess.

Looking forward to the thread, go ZedSoft or ZedArts or ZedAxis :D

Mathematician?

This 32m vid is maybe for you. While I have Maths in my degree, this put all fragments of my brain on the walls and ceiling. But don't worry on my behalf, not many fragments to gather up…

Apart from truly mind-bending content, the production value of the video is equally astounding—just phenomenal all round.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRaq4aYPzCc

Frostbyte engine that EA uses is particularly tough to use, at least for modders
Not just modders, Bioware and other EA devs were up in arms about being forced to use it in games it wasn't suited for.

I/we are talking about 'general-public' engines tho, not ones for inhouse use like Frosty—or other expensive ones like CryEngine etc. If you're curious, here's a list of game engines.

The 'free' engines I have in my list are:
[NC=No Code option]
Adventure Game Studio NC
Cerberus X
Construct 3 NC
Defold NC
GameMaker Studio 2 NC
Godot
RPG Maker MZ $80 NC
SFML
Unity
Unreal 4 & 5 NC
These aren't all fully free, but 1-2 years ago when I researched it, they all had some sort of free option.

@ZedClampet just remembered, Blender used to have a game engine included a few years ago, for what it's worth.

Oh ok, I shouldn't have assumed you'd be using Blender for the 3D work :)
Oh, I'll be using it some, but my assumption is that my tiny bit of Blender knowledge won't carry over to a Blender game engine, and since exporting from Blender is easy, I'm not sure there would be an advantage to using the game engine.

Also, I'm going to try Nvidia's 3D solution sometime this week, and if it works as advertised, I'll not be in Blender much. But that's a huge question mark. I'm extremely skeptical of having models made by AI after playing with some of them yesterday.

Zloth

Community Contributor
This 32m vid is maybe for you. While I have Maths in my degree, this put all fragments of my brain on the walls and ceiling. But don't worry on my behalf, not many fragments to gather up…
"...99999999 = -1" "Now, I know that seems weird..." Weird!?!? That's way beyond weird!

Wait, does less brain fragments mean more fragments now??

Tennessee Vols baseball has made the College World Series after last night's win the in the Super Regional.

My favorite part was that, at the end of the game, Southern Mississippi's batter, with two strikes on him, yelled to Tennessee's pitcher, "Throw me your fastball, b***h!"

Tennessee's Chase Burns then proceeded to throw a fastball that was clocked at 102 mph and struck the guy out.

The average speed of a Major League Baseball fastball is 93 mph.

Mathematician?

Apart from truly mind-bending content, the production value of the video is equally astounding—just phenomenal all round.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRaq4aYPzCc

I just watched this video. It's been a while since I've learned any new math facts, I'd kind of forgotten how fun it is. Now that most of Reddit is unreachable I've realized just how much time I was wasting there, which I could have used on fun, educational things.

College World Series
I still fancy Yokohama Institute for the title ;)

been a while since I've learned any new math facts, I'd kind of forgotten how fun it is
Yeah, if there was one superpower I could pick, I'd probably choose ability to understand advanced maths. If anything underpins the Universe, it's that.

I still fancy Yokohama Institute for the title ;)
If they play baseball, they'd probably lose. Japan rarely beats the US in baseball (although I think they did this year, but not against the best Americans) and would have even more trouble in college sports, which they don't take nearly as seriously. The best MLB player, IMO, is from Japan, so that's something.

I was hoping Japan would win the big football game they played against the Ivy League all-stars. I'd love for football to really take off there, but they just couldn't pull it off. They had a similar game against an English or Australian team a few years back in Rugby and won the game, and it helped to kick-start their rugby league.

Jun 14, 2023
Visit site
Interesting…

hiiii,
I wanted to ask you a question and that you advise me
I'm just starting in pc gamer, and I want to upload publications but I don't know how to start or guide myself
could you locate me?

Japan … I'd love for football to really take off there
It's doing great there—they beat both Germany and Spain at the last World Cup!

They've come on hugely in Rugby Union too—dunno about Rugby League, don't follow that. In Union they beat South Africa [3 times World Cup winners] at the 2015 Rugby World Cup, and at 2019 RWC—held in Japan—they beat Ireland [then #1 ranked] and Scotland.

you advise me
Welcome to the forum :)

This should explain it:

Read a few threads to get a feel for what's acceptable, if you're still unclear, read these:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts