Budget GFX advice

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

After buying an RX590 Fatboy and having problems, Ebuyer have RMA'd it and found a fault.

To replace it, as they have no more, I need some advice.

My Specs are below.

I think that I have a good enough set up to support VR in the coming year, but I'd like a GFX card which could run 1920 X 1080 (I have a 4k TV as a monitor but don't need it).

I have a budget of about £170 all in, preferably from Ebuyer.com but not exclusively.
EDIT I could be tempted up to £200 ish, the GTX1660s seem handy and quiet. I don't blame AMD for the 590 problems but the last GeForce card I had never gave me a problem

Thanks all.

Alex.

Last edited:

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
You don't want to go for another RX 580? The only other card arround the budget is the GTX 1660, but I'm not sure if the regular one, TI or Super is the best.

I was looking at the RX5500 too, but that one appears to be performing worse. There's the RX5600 too, but that one is quite alot more expensive (more towards 300 pounds).

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

No, a 580 would be a regression.

I was also unprepared for how hot the 590 ran, and how loud the fans were.

Reviews of the 5500 and 1650 say they run cooler and quieter, especially the 1660.

The thing is, I don't want to chase the budget up too far, the 590 was £170 and I'd like to stay around there.
Unfortunately the £210 offerings seem so much better...

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I'd indeed advice more towards the 210, I think a 1660 provides much better performance than a 1650. Of the 1660 vs Super / TI I'm not sure if that added costs make it really worth it, and they're more expensive anyway and may go far above your offer.

If you're going to be doing VR gaming, you'll want the beefiest GPU you can afford. Ideally a much beefier one than even a 5600 XT

There are 5600 XTs for £260.

To give an indication:
That is a title that favours Nvidia GPUs, but you can see even on the Nvidia side of things the 2060 (or maybe, extrapolating from the results, a 1660 Super) is a bit of a minimum.

Anything less leaves me concerned about the mileage for VR. And tbh even that does.

If you're buying a £500 VR kit, or whatever the going rate is, then it's only half the price of that. I think quite a lot of VR gaming may be overambitious for the amount you're willing to spend on the hardware to power it.

Which would, I suppose, be a further £500 economised. :)

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I won't be buying VR for a while, and price is the be all and end all.

I may boost the clockspeeds, but I won't try any more overclocking than the OEM drivers provide. For now...

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS