Budget(ish) Future Proof First Build

Jul 18, 2023
Visit site
What I have so far:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard ($259.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 319 Radeon RX 6950 XT 16 GB Video Card ($579.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair iCUE 4000D RGB AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1870.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-18 19:00 EDT-0400

Hi, I've been saving money for a while now to build my first pc, which I want to be pretty future-proof and last me a while. I made this reddit post a while ago but since then I have changed most of the parts in the build. I expect to be able to buy it in around a month and a half and I'll also most likely see if there's any labor day deals I can save money on. I want to play some high-end games but I don't expect to be playing mostly demanding titles, I might be messing around with emulators and stuff more than playing pc games lol. My budget is around $2000 but I want to spend less than that if at all possible. I did already buy the monitor for $190 and the ssd for $100, since they were on sale for prime day, but I don't have any of the other parts yet. The gpu is the main expensive part of the build as it seems that's the biggest determining factor for getting good performance in games, but the motherboard is seemingly pricier than some other options. I chose the 6950 xt because currently I can get it for $580, which is over $200 cheaper than the 7900 xt but only $50 more than the 6800 xt, and will surely be enough for a solid 1440p gaming experience. The reason I chose this motherboard over other cheaper alternatives was that it basically has the best of every feature I might want now and in the future, such as DDR5, WiFi 6E, and PCIE 4. I am unsure of if the ssd will fit with the pre-installed heatsink (it didn't fit in an ssd enclosure I was going to use) but I assume the motherboard heatsink can be taken off. I also would want to know for sure that all the rgb stuff will be compatible with each other, since rgb compatibility seems kind of complicated. Anyways, let me know if there any issues with compatiblity (clearance, rgb, ssd heatsink, etc.) and if there's any alternatives for parts that would be a better fit for this build, thanks!

Reactions: Why_Me
Jul 18, 2023
Visit site
You can control your ARGB via the motherboard. Also look for AMD Expo RAM. That SSD heatsink can be removed if you choose to use the one that comes with the board.

Thanks for the tip about the ram, didn't think about that the ram has to be for the right brand of cpu. As far as the ssd, could I take off the heatsink on the motherboard or is that unable to come off? I don't really want to mess with detaching it from the ssd and don't know if doing that could void the warranty.

Thanks for the tip about the ram, didn't think about that the ram has to be for the right brand of cpu. As far as the ssd, could I take off the heatsink on the motherboard or is that unable to come off? I don't really want to mess with detaching it from the ssd and don't know if doing that could void the warranty.
The heatsink on the motherboard comes off. Just stash it so that you can find it later on if you ever need it.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 18, 2023
Visit site
You can control your ARGB via the motherboard. Also look for AMD Expo RAM. That SSD heatsink can be removed if you choose to use the one that comes with the board.

One more question, looking into the rgb stuff it seems I have to use the rgb fusion software if I get a gigabyte motherboard, but it seems that it has been causing lots of issues for people and in general sucks. Would there be any alternative to that or is that the only way to control rgb on a gigabyte motherboard?

Edit: I just found something called signal rgb that could work, I'll probably use that.

Edit 2: I'm an idiot, I can just use icue for the case fans and synapse for the keyboard.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts