Beautiful Game Appreciation

Page 17 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, Wizardry and Wolfenstein haven't got much for beautiful. On to the X series! This is X3: Terran Conflict (possibly with some Albion Prelude mixed in)

Argon Gladiator
full

Argon Heavy Centaur (prototype)
full

Boron Barracudas with a Thresher off to the left
full

Boron A-Wing (yeah, there's modding in this game)
full

With you on that @mainer. While I did like some of the characters, combat/weapons, and environments, I thought the story, A. I and the horrible way they implemented the invisible walls was too much to handle. They could have done MUCH with this game but decided to make it extremely lightweight and with not much to really do when it comes down to it. The dialogue thingy they so blatantly bragged about, could have been done with a lot more zest also.

With you on that @mainer. While I did like some of the characters, combat/weapons, and environments, I thought the story, A. I and the horrible way they implemented the invisible walls was too much to handle. They could have done MUCH with this game but decided to make it extremely lightweight and with not much to really do when it comes down to it. The dialogue thingy they so blatantly bragged about, could have been done with a lot more zest also.

Yes, and I think that was the most disappointing aspect of OW, knowing what it could have been, and what Obsidian is capable of, but what they gave us felt more like a rough draft of an RPG, rather than a fleshed out world, story, and companions.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wait `til you get to the DLC, @Frindis!

The next, current generation of the X gams, X4: Foundations (which I'm currently playing... a lot...)

Starter ship for the Genesis start
full

Teladi trading station - these things are huge but it's hard to get the scale in this shot
full

A small trade ship. Not so good for hauling around huge piles of antimatter cells but great for getting a few hull parts from A to B quickly.
full

A Xenon station
full

Xenon attack - any resemblance to Brood X cicada larvae is purely coincidental.
full

Zloth

Community Contributor
I didn't know the graphics in Frozenheim were that good!

More from X4....

The Teladi hexidock (my term). Those big, white squares with grey rounded-rectangles on them are landing pads. Little ships like this one go on the little ones, medium ships on the bigger ones. (Larger ships dock outside.) You can get out and walk around in this dock, watching other ships land and launch from the walls and ceiling!
full

Big transport ship
full

Big transport ship's captain - for a while. I moved her to my biggest war ship. I don't know what she looks like to the aliens, but she scares me plenty!
full

A big ship "docking." They don't actually land at the station. Stations just have a long pole thing sticking out that they move close to, then little cargo drones ferry cargo between the two.
full

Reactions: Lil Dyslexic doG

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wait, Capcom is FORCING copyrights on their screenshots?? That's pretty terrible, IMHO. The developer certainly is a major part of making a screenshot happen but so is the person taking the shot. There might be a modder with a big piece of it, too, at least on PC. (Though I do like it when we get the option to put a game logo in a screenshot corner.) I guess that's another topic, though.

Meanwhile, back in Egosoft space...

Teladi gas mining ship in front of a gate
full

Terran Tokyo class carrier with some fighters
full

Xenon Rising
full

Zloth

Community Contributor
More from Brood Xenon

The Xenon M, their medium sized fighter. You fight a LOT of these. There's a P (heavy fighter) behind, an N (small fighter) flying upward, and a K way behind.
full

Xenon K destroyer
full

The Xenon are doing... something to asteroids. Or maybe the asteroids are already that way and the Xenon are seeking them out? We've been seeing these since the last Rebirth DLC but we've got no idea what they are. (The structures below are old stations, from a time between X3 and X Rebirth.)
full

Xenon amplifiers around... whatever that is.
full

Zloth

Community Contributor
There's a bug in the game right now that makes some factions build far too many stations. Fix is in the works but, in the meantime, it can make for a nice screenshot.
full

Litany of Fury sector has such great lighting!
full

full

full

Those are actually two pretty harmless ships and a station that's just a docking bay and a pair of medium sized storage facilities. But it's Litany of Fury, so they're all looking deadly.

Osaka
full

TRENDING THREADS