Question Asus ROG desktop apparently gets too hot, how do I upgrade fans?

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
Hello,

I don't work on computers, I know a little about them but don't feel confident in opening up the case and changing things... so I buy prebuilts and just go.

Mostly MSFS and Iracing. SO I'm currently running a Asus ROG w/ 2060 card and a 9700 i7. It runs iracing well and actually runs MSFS pretty well, too. I found a Asus with a 3080 and a 11700f cpu, 2 TB hard drive and 512 SSD.... I wanted at least a 512 SSD because my current PC at 256 isn't enough space.

I purchased it but then reading comment after comment about the cooling situation.. claiming it will run hot. Some suggested to take off the glass side and leave it off... some suggested to run a small fan in front of computer while gaming. Others say "put the guts in a new box".

So I bought a small fan and was going to try the "glass side off with fan running" approach. Won't this let dust in? I also think I could replace the rear exhaust fan with a corsair job from best buy for like $30. My question, what would be sufficient if I'm gaming a little here and there, but not running COD for 6 hours... more moderate user. And if replacing the fan is the answer, do I just unscrew and take out the pins, place new fan, place pins, screw in? Is it that simple? I appreciate any response and please, I see a lot of people saying "just do this"... remember, I don't work on PCs... need things in step by step form.

Thanks,
Tom

Reactions: Brian Boru
can you show us photos of the PC? one showing the Front and another showing inside with side glass off
(upload photos to a image sharing website like Imgur and show links here)
then we can tell you what it might do.

I realise you didn't get new PC just for a bigger ssd but most PC have enough space in them you can add another drive, no need to buy a new PC for it. Unless you buy an Apple maybe

And if replacing the fan is the answer, do I just unscrew and take out the pins, place new fan, place pins, screw in? Is it that simple?
mostly, Might need to unplug it from motherboard if its attached as well, it depends where it gets its power from.

Depending on the case, you could find adding a fan instead of replacing the rear one will help more. How many fans in case now?

The hardest part is knowing which way fan blows so you don't put it in backwards.

The fan might have arrows on side that show which way it blows.
There are other ways to know, like the label is often on the side the air blows towards.
Or the direction air blows in has an X shaped bracket on it whereas the other side has none.

So in my case below, the 2 front fans having an X shaped bracket on their backs means they blowing air into case. They on a radiator so they really sucking air through it and blowing it into case
BOa2dPp.jpg

So since I can see Corsair on the front fans I know they sucking air through radiator into my case.

I am waiting on 3 new case fans myself so been looking into things. realising i attached 2 fans to wrong side of fan hub but I fix that when I replace them. Be nice to be able to see their speed finally.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
The hardest part is knowing which way fan blows so you don't put it in backwards.

There are other ways to know, like the label is often on the side the air blows towards.
Or the direction air blows in has an X shaped bracket on it whereas the other side has none.

So in my case below, the 2 front fans having an X shaped bracket on their backs means they blowing air into case. They on a radiator so they really sucking air through it and blowing it into case
BOa2dPp.jpg

So since I can see Corsair on the front fans I know they sucking air through radiator into my case.

I am waiting on 3 new case fans myself so been looking into things. realising i attached 2 fans to wrong side of fan hub but I fix that when I replace them. Be nice to be able to see their speed finally.
Nice set up! Appreciate the response and will be reading this if I upgrade or put in new fans. Cheers

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site

BOa2dPp.jpg

can you show us photos of the PC? one showing the Front and another showing inside with side glass off
(upload photos to a image sharing website like Imgur and show links here)
then we can tell you what it might do.

I realise you didn't get new PC just for a bigger ssd but most PC have enough space in them you can add another drive, no need to buy a new PC for it. Unless you buy an Apple maybe

mostly, Might need to unplug it from motherboard if its attached as well, it depends where it gets its power from.

Depending on the case, you could find adding a fan instead of replacing the rear one will help more. How many fans in case now?

Thanks for your response! Yeah I just mentioned the 512 SSD cause 256 is a pain. I haven't opened new PC up yet, I am dragging my feet as I considered selling if the heating solution is too complicated. It's sounding like I might just have to try it, check temps and try fans at this point... I can take pics when I set it up though.. cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
What model Asus PC is it?
if you give me a link I can probably find photos

I forgot I had this
front of fan - Direction the air is sucked into fan from. Front is open to allow clear flow
FW48xOH.jpg

rear of fan, Air gets blown away
WLlOFM4.jpg

I forgot I had a spare 120mm fan, It was for my old PC. I never replaced the fan that died in it.

Shame its wrong type of fan for a replacement on my Radiator, its an exhaust fan**, it wouldn't work well. It would need to be static pressure to do that job

**all fans are exhaust or intake, there is no difference but some fans are designed specifically for one purpose and that fan above was specifically an Exhaust fan. It could be used as intake but its not the best. Static Pressure fans are more useful on AIO.

Same guy a few years later

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022
Visit site
Well, it is simply because the fans were clogged with dust so the fix is to remove all screws on the back, remove the back case, remove 3 other screws holding each fan, get a vacuum and a toothbrush and clean them, and any excess dust around the pipes where the vent is blowing. Fixed my GPU is maxing now at 70° and CPU max at 85° while playing warzone.
Here's an example

Finally get around to replacing 3 case fans to find the top 2 in roof were intake, not exhaust like I had thought for last 2 years. Then find the front intake in roof doesn't want to work now without making odd noises, so now down to 2 intakes on front and one in roof. Still about same temps.

Once I feel like it, I will work out why front top doesn't work as it did with old fans, might be speeds. Not sure it isn't the noise of air blowing through AIO cables. Temps are pretty much the same without it.

Dec 28, 2022
Visit site
Maybe if you encounter the problem of Fan speed not being adjusted (Fan settings not normal) or keyboard backlight settings (lighting effects) not being normal, the root cause may come from Armory Crate and the relevant drivers not installed properly. Hope it is useful

TRENDING THREADS