NVidia to AMD GPU upgrade? Help and info?

Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
I'm somewhat knowledgeable on parts and have only built one PC.
My first desktop I did with help in January 2016.
My current one:
AMD Ryzen 7 7700
RTX 3060Ti
16GB RAM
800W PSU

My first NVidea GPU. I prefer AMD parts. I've found a couple I like and fit my requirements.
None if it is 4K and currently my monitor is 1080p.
I've no desire to go for 4k/Can see the nose hairs up close and skin pores gaming graphics. I'm open to getting a 1440p monitor in the future so the GPU upgrade would need to reflect it.
I did get a pre-built. I don't know enough to build on on my own.
The previous desktop which I still own:
AMD FX-6350
XFX R9 380 4GB
8GB RAM
512 GB SSD for main drive and mechanical 2TB HDD. I know. It's an ancient thing. 😆
I found an online wattage check site and upgrading the new one to a RX 6700 or 6800 is possible plus 32GB RAM at some point.
Not a fan of RGB and on this one keep it off most of the time.
I like learning about computers and parts and upgrading them but my knowledge of the "language" and getting to in depth is above my pay grade.
I would appreciate any info.

Reactions: Brian Boru
800watt psu, what make/model?

It should have enough power to run that PC with a 6800 since a 7900xt only needs that much.

Were you looking at 6800 XT or just base model? Have you looked at a 7800xt instead?

what speed 1440p monitor? they go from 60 to 360 hz so knowing what speed you expect from card helps choose one. 7800xt sold as 1440p cards but can really only do max of about 100 with max settings.

rgb doesn't really make card any faster. rgb on gpu fans is pointless anyway as you can't see it.

Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
If that's your PC, that's kickin'.
I haven't looked. The product page doesn't list the model. I emailed the company and even the case that's used is hard to find b/c it also isn't listed on the product page.
All the benchmarks for the 3060Ti seem to be quit good and it came out in 2020.
I don't need nor want the best. If cost weren't an issue I still wouldn't want the best for various reasons.
I got this for a steal back in June and I added up the parts for what I wanted to upgrade my original and this one.
I prefer to get as good a future proofing as I can before I have to consider another upgrade.
Original: Jan 2016 to early June 2023. Just over 7 years and as a Gaming PC, Workstation, and heavy internet and other program use.
I checked and the 3060Ti has two power cords on it so any card that needs two is covered.
I don't know the difference between a base model say 6800 vs 6800XT.
I have a hierarchy chart so I'm largely going off of that.
I only play single-player games.
Similar workstation requirements.
I'm not a fan of RGB. Long story short, too much blue light makes me have migraines more often. I'll have to remind myself to take a look at the PSU.

Who made PC? DO you have a link to it?
I mistakenly thought you made the current one, not just the old one.

I don't know the difference between a base model say 6800 vs 6800XT.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review this shows some of the differences.

6800 XT would provide more FPS in 1440p games. I have to assume the new monitor won't be 60hz, the average now is 144. if you use FSR and Fluid Motion Frames, that might not be too hard. I keep forgetting cards don't need to run at native resolution anymore.

FSR3 - https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/fidelityfx-super-resolution
Fluid Motion Frames - Have you heard of frame generation? card creates frames to fit inbetween real ones, makes game look like its running faster than it is. It doesn't feel faster though. Optical illusion. Nvidia have had them for a while, AMD has the feature in experimental drivers. I haven't tried it myself.

The higher the base frame rate is in games, the better these features work.

RGB has grown on me. I didn't see the point, then over time I have collected some. It started on Keyboard & mouse, now its all through my PC. That is where it stops, I don't need it on my walls. I have static colors so its not that distracting.

I checked and the 3060Ti has two power cords on it so any card that needs two is covered.
That should be okay, some cards use 6 pin connectors, some use 8 pin... but most cables have a 6 + 2 connector type, meaning if card needs 6, you only use those, but if it needs 8, you use both connectors. 6800 needs 2 x 8 pin.

• Love
Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
Who made PC? DO you have a link to it?
I mistakenly thought you made the current one, not just the old one.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/the-amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review this shows some of the differences.

6800 XT would provide more FPS in 1440p games. I have to assume the new monitor won't be 60hz, the average now is 144. if you use FSR and Fluid Motion Frames, that might not be too hard. I keep forgetting cards don't need to run at native resolution anymore.

FSR3 - https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/fidelityfx-super-resolution
Fluid Motion Frames - Have you heard of frame generation? card creates frames to fit inbetween real ones, makes game look like its running faster than it is. It doesn't feel faster though. Optical illusion. Nvidia have had them for a while, AMD has the feature in experimental drivers. I haven't tried it myself.

The higher the base frame rate is in games, the better these features work.

RGB has grown on me. I didn't see the point, then over time I have collected some. It started on Keyboard & mouse, now its all through my PC. That is where it stops, I don't need it on my walls. I have static colors so its not that distracting.

That should be okay, some cards use 6 pin connectors, some use 8 pin... but most cables have a 6 + 2 connector type, meaning if card needs 6, you only use those, but if it needs 8, you use both connectors. 6800 needs 2 x 8 pin.
I've learned the 3060Ti is still a really good GPU and considering at most in the far future 1440p might be an upgrade then I don't see any reason to upgrade just yet.
IDK if I mentioned by in building my first PC I did well over a year of looking into parts, how they work together, AMD vs Intel, etc.
Likely I'll do the same with the GPU and considering I got the Ryzen 7 7700 for a great price I see no reason to upgrade it either.
I had to open the case and unscrew the PSU to see what kind it was as the label was facing the L lower wall. 😆
Never heard of this brand and likely why prebuilts tend to be much cheaper.
Apevia 800W Presige Power(ATX-PR800W)

i look into everything I buy to make sure there isn't anything I am missing.

Apevia 800W Presige Power(ATX-PR800W)

Apart from Amazon reviews, and reviews from other places I wouldn't believe, I found one post suggesting you be better off with a brand name you recognise for PSU. The lack of credible sources for reviews is always a red flag to me.

Amazon is now starting to get plagued with reviews written in chatgpt. They used to just steal reviews from other products. Now they just make them up.

Cyberpower offer that as a standard PSU. I read replies on their forums to avoid these.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts