Any good ARPG worth looking at?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Lost Ark - I don't like being typecast into either a gender to play a class as or only being able to use specific weapons with that class. Its also an MMO which I am trying to avoid. If I wanted an mmo, I could play Age of Conan again as it still seems to exist. I thought it would be dead by now.

Guess I try Last Epoch, they had multiplayer added 2 weeks ago. I probably play offline anyway. Lots to learn.

Last edited:
I tried it, I am not sure I like it really. GD with its 30+ class combos ruined me perhaps, I get bored after a while... that doesn't happen in GD.

not sure i like it insists on having left click as only walk. 20 years of ARPG have got us to point where left click can also be an attack. It forces you to use kb when really you could get away with a mouse. In most cases you don't use all the attacks, you have 2 that can go on left/right click. I know GD lets you choose it as a movement key but its a choice.

I might wait for it to be released, there are still some subclasses that don't exist yet. TBH I don't think that would get me back.

As far as isometric ARPGs go, I could think of of two, and those are on my Steam Wish List. One is Wolcen:: Lords of Mayhem. It still has mixed reviews on Steam, and from what I've read the initial release was buggy and incomplete, but Wolcen Studio has since made several updates to fix things. I haven't purchased it yet, but it always looks interesting.
i watched a video about this on weekend, its still buggy and there is a bug where you lose levels just by logging out and on the next day

So I think I pass on that. Shame as I am looking again...

Last edited:
I thought about playing Path of Exile last night and then I remembered the skill tree and stopped thinking about it again. Its too daunting and i know they have more than 1 tree. I think I have tried to get into that game at least 4 times now. I had it in beta... then tried a few times since. Never quite seem to get very far. Perhaps I wait for Path of Exiles 2.

Diablo 4 has too many barriers to make me want to play it. Until they fix the inventory problem I don't have enough space to create a new character that isn't a necromancer.

Titan Quest was too simple.

Should try last epoch again, its had a few patches.

Skyrim isn't an ARPG

No, Its not.

Not in this thread its not. I should know, I started thread :D

This thread is ARPG along lines of Diablo and Path of Exile. 3rd person view, not 1st (yes, I know you can play Skyram as 3rd person but its not the same).

I loaded Last Epoch, looked at my characters and realised I had forgotten game. Closed it again, maybe on weekend.

Hack n Slash, Hit n Miss, Swing n Stumble, Bump n Grind, Dodge n Die, Rinse n Repeat…

All the usual names are still in use, except among those who actually 'play' such games. They're a bit of a posh lot, doncha know.
Reson i asked is because i personally classify games like Diablo, Nox, PoE etc Hack N Slash. ARPG to me is more like.. RPG lites, like Skyrim, Dark messiah of might and magic etc. But maybe i am just old and grupmy as allways?

its my thread, I get to define the terms

The easiest way to separate the games is viewpoint. All the games I am talking about use Isometric view of characters, whereas Skyram is 1st or 3rd person.

that and generally less talking, more killing in these games. They don't really need to have a story at all... that just gets in the way.

its my thread, I get to define the terms

The easiest way to separate the games is viewpoint. All the games I am talking about use Isometric view of characters, whereas Skyram is 1st or 3rd person.

that and generally less talking, more killing in these games. They don't really need to have a story at all... that just gets in the way.

Isometric Hack 'n Slash ARPGs. Maybe should add "Looter" somewhere in there, just to be sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
I would still rekomend trying NOX or Maybe Revenant, perhaps Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 1-2, Titan quest? Havn't played that one myself though but people say its good. Throne of darkness is allso nice, if you can stand the game being a bit hard at times.

I tried to get into Titan Quest earlier this year but its just too old. Bought it on Steam. I have the full version too with all the expansions.
I played it looooooong time ago as well, when it was new.
Revenant... 1999? I suspect I have same problem I had with Titan Quest

Throne of Darkness. I remember playing it after Diablo 2. It was fun and it took me years after to remember its name.

I tried to get into Titan Quest earlier this year but its just too old. Bought it on Steam. I have the full version too with all the expansions.
I played it looooooong time ago as well, when it was new.
Revenant... 1999? I suspect I have same problem I had with Titan Quest

Throne of Darkness. I remember playing it after Diablo 2. It was fun and it took me years after to remember its name.
I think you basicly listed all "modern" ARPGs in your initial post, if you want more good ones you will probably have to start walking backwards in time i am afraid. Though there are some indie stuff that might be fun for a bit they usually come no where near the gigants as a complete experience.

Notices Torchlight Infinite... notices he noticed it a year ago and its now a free to play phone game that is also on PC to get more cash of people who remember name but don't look. Cries a little. Guess the original makers were bought and now don't make it. Explains my sadness. One less series killed.

sux when best game in series was released 11 years ago. I don't expect that to change.

Sacred
Torchlight

RIP

Steams suggestions aren't much help

Gauntlet

I remember the original 4 player sit down cabinet... thanks for the thought.

not playing this but

it looks pretty good still for a 14 year old game
Fvxzm0Q.jpg

I don't remember why her hands are on fire, might be an attack move. I would have to remember more of game to know.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS