An opinion you´re probably all alone with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicOffender

BANNED
Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
GRAND THEFT AUTO V being the most overrated and actually the worst (next to GTA IV) title within the whole franchise, basically more or less useless gameplay-wise while focusing way too much on "great´n funny" characters and its story.

I also stopped playing it at that "Submarine-Mission" where i had to travel for miles (...again!) until anything more interesting could have happened, other than just driving for miles, so in fact that game focusing on "driving for miles from A to B" without actually doing anything else than "just driving" while looking at the scenery in my opinion, and GTA V does making me do this way more often than i remember in any other games of the franchise.

That same problem was already happening with GTA IV but at least they got me that kewl´n fancy "character-switching" with 3 different characters, which at least blew some slightly new wind into the franchise, but still...compared to GTA SAN ANDREAS it was rather a let-down with the franchise rather moving backwards.

I could as well just step into my own car, driving for miles looking at the scenery, that would also be more exciting since a crash would actually cause more trouble than in GTA V.

Now some claim the same with RED DEAD REDEMPTION II, but as even i am surprised by myself...i was enjoying that title way more than that rather "mess" of a "GTA V".

I don't know what the general feeling is about GTAV nowadays, maybe you are alone in your opinion, or maybe you're just willing to critique it. I didn't get into it for years, too much hype, but it is a great driving game, and a good satire of American life in films.

It's a game I still play most days. I think I enjoy the driving as much as driving a real vehicle. It's great stress relief to go for a blast and sliding those cars around bendy roads is great fun.

I also enjoy flying the helicopters, going up somewhere inaccessible or to one of those indoor areas you can get into(like at airport). Then using the heavy sniper rifle to take out cop helicopters. sniper/sniper/pilot and down it goes!

I enjoy RD2 to chill out.

I was thinking some games have good minor games within them, so it's helicopter pilot in GTAV, RD2 it's a fishing simulator, WD2 it's sailing, etc.

I got it on deep discount because I don't like shooters, and as it turns out, I don't like shooters, so I didn't play it much.

I mostly played the multiplayer, which was okay, but it seemed designed to make you buy their funny money in order to do much unless you just wanted to grind forever. I did enjoy the driving and flying. The missions in multiplayer were really generic, at least the ones I played were--drive to X and fight some dudes.

I wasn't a big fan of GTA V either. The game had some good stuff but it was spread way too thin over the game world. Miles wide, metres deep. it felt pretty empty and part of the reason was for the multiplayer to pad out the rest of the game and populate areas. For example the army base in the desert. No reason to visit/explore it in the SP game. A bit disappointed all things considered.

More gripes but people love Nuke Town as a map in COD. I absolutely hated it. Problem was that the map was too small and everyone seemed to play tdm with way too many people and it was just a mess to play. Perhaps that's the point, but it was annoying. made worse when you started spawning in the enemies back yard. hell sometimes i would carry claymores plant it as soon as i spawn in and minutes pass and i get a kill with it.

ToxicOffender

BANNED
Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
I mostly played the multiplayer, which was okay, but it seemed designed to make you buy their funny money in order to do much unless you just wanted to grind forever.

Totally agree with that one! If there was an online Multiplayer-Game (Yuck!) i was actually having at least some fun, then it was GTA-Online, rather than PUBG or all that other BR-crap.

Now the downside were of course those "Shark-Cards" where you can actually afford things rather than grinding for years on a daily basis...and honestly...i was close to actually buy one, but then again i kept thinking "NO WAY!" so i continued for a while without any of those microtransactions, before letting the title go for once and for all.

GTA, COD, Fortnite, and PUBG are highly overrated.
Adds Minecraft to list of games that if found in one post 18 months ago probably earn poster several thousand unwarranted likes. Also over rated... all games mentioned in this poll also apply - https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/what-is-your-favourite-pc-game.77155/

Myself, I think its Skyrim but I realise I am in the minority or they wouldn't still be able to sell the thing. The Last Of Us comes to mind too.

focusing way too much on "great´n funny" characters
Yeah, that's always been my impression of each succeeding GTA game, so I've avoided 'em—all just too forced and obvious, like a stand-up getting by on fart and sausage 'jokes'. Reminds me of Hurk & his mom & Sharky in Far Cry 5—funny for sure for 5-10 minutes, but then get old fast to the point where I swap 'em out for a nice quiet doggie :D

Far Cry 3 would be my unpopular opinion. Top-ranked of the FC series by many, it's well down my list, below the spinoffs and even the FC4 Yetis DLC. I played the heck out of it after release, but almost everything later is better.

I started FC3 a couple of months ago, but got tired of it quickly. Then I fired up FC4 and said 'Yeah, this works.' So 4 is as far back as I'll go from now on for a FC fix. Here's why I regard FC5 as far superior to 3:

1. The abysmal interface of 3 has been mostly fixed in 5, after being 1/2 fixed in 4. I've seen better interfaces in 90s games than 3.
2. Villains in 5 are better than the comic-book caricature which was Vaas, or the nondescript Hoyt. 5 has 4 better villains, each with decent backstory and decent screen time.
3. Quick Time Events in 3.
4. Radio towers… more frackin' radio towers in 3.
5. Planes, choppers in 5.
6. Arcade sandbox in 5.
7. Auto-drive since 4.
8. Grappling hook since 4.
9. Guns/fangs for hire since 4, expanded in 5.
10. Fishing in 5.
11. Player character choice in 5.
12. Shovel launcher in 5.
13. Ballistics in 5.
14. World much more open from start in 5.
15. Missions, quests etc dependent on player exploration & interaction in 5.
16. Animal taming since 4 [rideable elephants].

So yeah, 3 was great in its day, but not anymore.

My opinion that I'm probably alone with: Turn-based combat absolutely sucks donkey toes!

And speaking of games that are overrated...

Myself, I think its Skyrim but I realise I am in the minority or they wouldn't still be able to sell the thing.

bits-hate-superJumbo-v3.jpg

Zloth

Community Contributor
The term "overrated" is overrated. There are plenty of games people call great that I don't like (I bounced of Grand Theft Auto 3 pretty hard, despite great ratings), but that doesn't mean they are overrated. It just means it isn't a game for me, which also probably means I'll do a terrible job of rating it.
An opinion you´re probably all alone with?
Alone?? None. There're just too many gamers. Maybe I could combine a half dozen of my least popular opinions together and be alone.

Some doozies...
  • Level scaling is cool. It allows me to go where I want in whatever order I want and still get a good challenge.
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition was great fun! Not as fun as Origins, but definitely a great game. Even the Deep Roads DLC.
  • I don't like buying games until I think most of the bug fixing is done. Buying on day one is unthinkable!
  • Mass Effect's ending was a good one. (At least by the time I played it - see above)
  • Sword of the Stars 2's idea of requiring spaceships to return home after doing some exploring was a great idea. Scouts in Civilization can just live off the land but what's a spaceship supposed to do? The peanut butter and salted ham will eventually run out.

Turn-based combat absolutely sucks donkey toes
I disagree strongly, am referring you for a stupidity review by @Colif

So don't be an ass—donkey toes are quite tasty to suck on.

"overrated" is overrated
:D

Buying on day one is unthinkable!
Shudder.

Scouts in Civilization can just live off the land but what's a spaceship supposed to do? The peanut butter and salted ham will eventually run out
Have its own food-producing facilities, of course. Energy to matter could be doable by the time of space scouting. Or think RAMA.

Besides, screw realism if it disimproves the gameplay.

GTA V introduced first person gameplay to the GTA series (at least without mods, I can imagine there were mods for previous games that might have done this), which was great.

I really enjoyed GTA V. Played none of the missions though, all GTA missions suck, that's not what you play GTA for. The story and missions are about as relevant as the yoga mini-game.

Reactions: Brian Boru

ToxicOffender

BANNED
Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
Minecraft
I tried this "game" at least 2 or even 3 times but always ended it after 1 or 2 hours.

I absolutely don´t have any clue as to what is making this "game" so "great" and honestly this is one of those times i feel more like an Alien and less Human since EVERYONE just luvs this title so much while i am just not getting anything out of it.

But the question that drives me....how can someone spend YEARS building a frigging castle or Starship Enterprise in it?????? While actually enjoying THAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? 😨

I miss the times when people were actually PLAYING VIDEOGAMES. :laughing:

I really enjoyed GTA V. Played none of the missions though, all GTA missions suck, that's not what you play GTA for. The story and missions are about as relevant as the yoga mini-game.

All the GTA games had some really good missions, except for GTA IV and V, i also remember there were certain good ole missions where you had multiple ways of solving them.

So anyway, with GTA V i spend more time in the ONLINE mode and i guess i spent even more time making my own stupid action-movies with fancy´n kewl slow-mo cuts, with cops flying all over the place with lots of explosions...

...uhmm...i am actually just thinking of installing that crappy game again to make a few more of them kewl movies!

GTA 4 had the best driving physics of the entire franchise

😳😨🤔🤭😀😃😄😁😆😅😂🤣 Now THAT´s an "Opinion you´re probably all alone with"! LMAO!

I remember when people claimed ROCKSTAR was the first time absolutely failing with its driving physics used in GTA IV and to be honst...i found them "weird" myself but it didn´t matter coz i got so bored with the gameplay and the story i never finished the game after all...i think i didn´t even got to the end of the first half of the game.

@ToxicOffender I think you mixed up the titles. GTA V is the one with the three characters you switch between.

I found the driving in GTA V to be pretty chill. I have always liked that option in the series, just drive around, listen to music and do a lot of stunts. My favorite to do so in is most definitely Grand Theft Auto: Vice City as the soundtrack was way better. I did some multiplayer in GTA IV, but never actually played the story.

GTA V is one of my favorite ones though, next to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. There is just so much you can do, especially when it comes to expanding your criminal enterprise. My favorite thing to do is to fly around with the Cargo helicopter and pick up cars to sell them. Flying dope from one location to another was also fun. The heist was also fun for a while, up to the point I got tired of playing with randoms. So many people would just run inside and get killed over and over and over again or set off the alarm because they did not find the way outside of the vault or they died from evading police because they didn't know how to get on top of the roof to steal the police helicopter.

GT2 was the first one I played multiplayer on. A lot of fun memories of sliding under vehicles and using the tank to blast my buddies. Driving around was a lot of fun in that game also, can't remember the music though. Most likely nothing special.

Last edited:
There is no justification in charging 70 bucks for a game outside of the fact that companies know they are going to get people to pay more and you arent going to convince me that "stuffs more expensive" and "inflation!" are the reasons. I maybe would support this if workers got their fair share of the pie from the games revenue, but that's not true and, unless youre the head of the financial office of a developer, wont convince me otherwise.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I guess you're not talking about the devs, who are well paid. What workers are you thinking of?

If that's accurate ( ive compared salaries of jobs ive worked on there and whats "reported" as the salary and they never match) then i would have to look at the game developers location. The cost of living is a lot higher in cities like Seattle, LA, NYC etc. where a lot of devs. Live. Also thats 80k US dollars, i highly doubt that translates the same across the world.

@ToxicOffender So you aren't alone in your opinion, but in majority.

I think there is so much to like about GTAV, I think it's 'rated' for a number of reasons. The driving physics is superb(even my son was impressed at my driving).

I did buy the whole series in one of those deals, GTAIV was good fun, bit clunky, but the previous ones were unplayable to me.

I think the game doesn't take itself too seriously; every sign is satire, switching to Michael and being with his abysmal family, his wife throws a dildo at him, the constant abuse from the streets, etc.

Post doing the missions I play a simple game(SP); Franklin chooses custom car, rings Trevor or Michael to go for a drink, out on open road finds good car to race, pull up along side and point gun at driver, honk horn, and the fun begins. If any slow cars get in way, pop a round in their car and passenger will start firing.

It's one of those open world games where anything can happen and always does. Just good fun!

I guess you're not talking about the devs, who are well paid. What workers are you thinking of?

Just a thought, but as well as cost of living as @DXCHASE brought up..

Crunch has endured for so long in the games industry simply because it’s legal. At both the federal and state level, computer professionals who earn above a set annual salary — the exact figure varies from state to state — are considered exempt from overtime laws that would otherwise require studios to pay them extra for extra hours in the office. This has ensured that whenever problems arise during game development, the easiest and cheapest solution is to have developers stay late and come in on the weekends.

Its not a subject I know a huge amount about outside of a lot of buzz about crunch and talk of unionization in the industry over the last couple of years in the media, but might be something to consider into that 'average' wage.

Reactions: Frindis and Pifanjr
I am adding my name to the GTAV thumbs down brigade , i joined a queue outside a real shop on the day it came out, 7 discs to install and then go online to get the last bit.

What a disappointment it was .

I am not a prudish person , i am very broad minded but i think every 4th word during a conversation began with the letter F.

Lots of use of the N word .... how did they get away with that one.

BOOM BOOM BOOM music on every radio station in the game.

I even used headphones so my wife could not hear what was happening.

After about a week of trying to like it i just gave up on it.

Many years ago i got a pc game about running a rock band , it was so F F F F F that i took it back , my local pc world store had so many complaints about it they pulled it off the shelves

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I think that GTA V is an ok game, but probably nothing more. I spent a few dozens of hours in the game (for free as it was a giveaway on Epic) and don't think it was a waste of time. There are better games out there though, which didn't achieve a success that they deserved for. GTA V will probably get worse in time when the graphics won't be as fancy as on the release date and some pop culture references get outdated.

My biggest concern when we're talking about the series is that Rockstar will start to censor itself when making GTA VI. Let's be straight. GTA V isn't a political correct game and it draws its strength from this fact. Same applies to the Saints Row series. The newest reboot of SR drifts away from this state. If Rockstar will decide to go the same way, we'll get a very shallow experience and a very generic open world game. So in fact GTA V may be paradoxically the last good game in the series.

I am adding my name to the GTAV thumbs down brigade , i joined a queue outside a real shop on the day it came out, 7 discs to install and then go online to get the last bit.

What a disappointment it was .

I am not a prudish person , i am very broad minded but i think every 4th word during a conversation began with the letter F.

Lots of use of the N word .... how did they get away with that one.

BOOM BOOM BOOM music on every radio station in the game.

I even used headphones so my wife could not hear what was happening.

After about a week of trying to like it i just gave up on it.

Many years ago i got a pc game about running a rock band , it was so F F F F F that i took it back , my local pc world store had so many complaints about it they pulled it off the shelves
I think you have to remember that the makers of GTA series based it on American 70's-90's films(Bullet to Heat and the rest), so it is satirising those. So don't take it too seriously.

Also you don't have to listen to the radio or game music, I never do in any game.

I suppose you could say it was to gaming what Goodfellas was to film.

Zloth

Community Contributor
So don't be an ass—donkey toes are quite tasty to suck on.
!? I think I need to do some research on hooved animal anatomy. Some day.

Have its own food-producing facilities, of course. Energy to matter could be doable by the time of space scouting. Or think RAMA.

Besides, screw realism if it disimproves the gameplay.
Yeah, I hear that - but it is good gameplay, IMHO. It keeps your ships from going too far from your own space. (And keeps me from getting too jealous when an opposing AI colonizes that sweeeet star system halfway across the galaxy!)

P.S. I tried reading Rendezvous with Rama when I was a teenager but didn't like... something about it? I really need to take a second shot at that book. I actually just started reading the Ringworld series, and that's been fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS