Wordle—daily Browser 3-min word puzzle

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
Wordle 208 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

It was a tough one today. But I learned at least one thing. Do we have spoiler tags here?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
We do have spoiler tags. I think it's "spoiler" and "/spoiler" in square brackets. Without quotes ofc.

Cheers!

This may have been obvious to everyone else, but I learned only today that if there are two same letters in the word and your guess has one of that letter, Wordle reveals only one of the letters in the word.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alm
Wordle 208 5/6

⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟩
🟨🟨🟨⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
It was a tough one today
Indeed. Took me quite a while to get from line 4 to 5.

spoiler tags. I think it's "spoiler" and "/spoiler" in square brackets. Without quotes
Correct. It's also available in the Insert menu, directly to the right of the Smilies :)

I'm actually surprised I got it
We had similar profiles.

Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
My beginnings seem to always suck, and both yesterday and today had two equally likely possibilities in the end and both times chose the wrong one first. :D

⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Also, either I need intensive courses in vocabulary, or today's word was a bit more exotic than what Wordle normally has.

today's word was a bit more exotic than what Wordle normally has
What I've read is that "There are actually two word lists in Wordle: one is a list of 2,315 words which can appear as answers, and the other is a list of 10,657 rather more obscure words which are allowed as guesses but will never appear as answers."

So if that's right, Wordle uses the ~20% of 5-letter words which are most common—no doubt we all need vocabulary lessons!

I don't have enough patience for this game.
Says the guy who'll play a RPG for hundreds of hours! :p

kept coming back to it between moving kegs at work
You should've sampled 'em, would've made it easier :)

Wordle 209 3/6

🟩⬛🟨⬛🟨
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I really wanted to guess it on line two, but there were just too many possibilities. Based on what was shown, I decided to switch my normal 2nd and 3rd words around and, luckily, got what I needed. My usual second guess wouldn't have come up with anything.

Actually, I was aided by @Brian Boru , as I guessed something about his words based on some things he's said.

So what is everyone's strategy? I'm going to post mine in spoiler tags below because it would help to give away today's puzzle.

Note: I tell what words I guess, so if you read this, you shouldn't look at my chart before playing the puzzle each day. I deleted this post earlier because of that, but decided I wanted to share anyway. If a mod wants to delete it, that's fine with me, though.

So I go into each puzzle planning to guess the same three words every time in the first three lines, but I do give myself flexibility depending on the results. Occasionally I'll go completely off the rails, but usually not until the second word.

The most commonly used consonants are R T N S L C D P M and, of course, you want all the vowels, so my first word is "train", which uses the three most common letters plus two vowels. Next I guess "close", which uses the next three most common letters and gets me two more vowels. Then I pick "dumpy", which gets the last 3 target consonants, the last vowel and the "y". The "y" isn't very common, but when you get it, it narrows down the possible answers and makes guessing easier. I know Brian goes after the "Y", so when I saw his second guess had the last letter correct, I moved "dumpy" to my second guess.

But, as I said, if I get two or more letters in the first guess, I may switch the next two guesses, and if I feel I know the answer after the first or second guess, it just depends. If there's a chance that the answer is wrong and won't give me any additional info, I will use one of the other guesses if one of them might confirm my guess. I just kind of go by feel. But unless things are going really well, the first three words will always be train, close or dumpy.

Last edited:
Actually, I was aided by @Brian Boru , as I guessed something about his words based on some things he's said.

So what is everyone's strategy? I'm going to post mine in spoiler tags below because it would help to give away today's puzzle.

Note: I tell what words I guess, so if you read this, you shouldn't look at my chart before playing the puzzle each day. I deleted this post earlier because of that, but decided I wanted to share anyway. If a mod wants to delete it, that's fine with me, though.

So I go into each puzzle planning to guess the same three words every time in the first three lines, but I do give myself flexibility depending on the results. Occasionally I'll go completely off the rails, but usually not until the second word.

The most commonly used consonants are R T N S L C D P M and, of course, you want all the vowels, so my first word is "train", which uses the three most common letters plus two vowels. Next I guess "close", which uses the next three most common letters and gets me two more vowels. Then I pick "dumpy", which gets the last 3 target consonants, the last vowel and the "y". The "y" isn't very common, but when you get it, it narrows down the possible answers and makes guessing easier. I know Brian goes after the "Y", so when I saw his second guess had the last letter correct, I moved "dumpy" to my second guess.

But, as I said, if I get two or more letters in the first guess, I may switch the next two guesses, and if I feel I know the answer after the first or second guess, it just depends. If there's a chance that the answer is wrong and won't give me any additional info, I will use one of the other guesses if one of them might confirm my guess. I just kind of go by feel. But unless things are going really well, the first three words will always be train, close or dumpy.

I hadn't looked up the most commonly used consonants, so I just made an educated guess. My first word is "snore" and second one I used "plaid", so I have 4 vowels and 6 consonants I guessed were common. After that it depends on what the outcome of the first two were.

I've changed my approach a bit from that in the OP.

I know Brian goes after the "Y", so when I saw his second guess had the last letter correct, I moved "dumpy" to my second guess
Nice piece of detective work there!
And of course, I'm flattered that I encouraged you to take a dump earlier than planned…

Unlike the rest of you targeting 4 vowels and 6 consonants in the first 2 lines, I now go for the 6 vowels—incl Y—and 4 consonants. So my first 2 words are…
AROSE
UNITY
…which also include the 4 most common consonants. Third word is decided based on the intel from the first 2 lines. Today was my first use of these new words, and it got me my first 3-line solve, so it'll be interesting to see if a larger sample size shows it's better.

you shouldn't look at my chart before playing the puzzle each day
Agreed. I play the puzzle, then come here.

Possible inaccuracy in Most Common Letters

I'm not set on my word choices yet, because the Most Common Letters list is based on all words found in a major dictionary. This may not be the same as the most common in 5-letter words.

I expect especially E, but also S, D, I and G are inflated in the general list due to all the words with ED and ES, plurals, and ING. Possibly L and Y are also inflated due to common LY ending. No doubt there are more such combos which also may feature less in 5-letter words.
Who said we're not taking this seriously? :D

Reactions: Pifanjr
Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
I've changed my approach a bit from that in the OP.

Nice piece of detective work there!
And of course, I'm flattered that I encouraged you to take a dump earlier than planned…

Unlike the rest of you targeting 4 vowels and 6 consonants in the first 2 lines, I now go for the 6 vowels—incl Y—and 4 consonants. So my first 2 words are…
AROSE
UNITY
…which also include the 4 most common consonants. Third word is decided based on the intel from the first 2 lines. Today was my first use of these new words, and it got me my first 3-line solve, so it'll be interesting to see if a larger sample size shows it's better.

Agreed. I play the puzzle, then come here.

Possible inaccuracy in Most Common Letters

I'm not set on my word choices yet, because the Most Common Letters list is based on all words found in a major dictionary. This may not be the same as the most common in 5-letter words.

I expect especially E, but also S, D, I and G are inflated in the general list due to all the words with ED and ES, plurals, and ING. Possibly L and Y are also inflated due to common LY ending. No doubt there are more such combos which also may feature less in 5-letter words.
Who said we're not taking this seriously? :D
If I were analyzing words in a dictionary, I wouldn't count words that didn't have their own separate entries, like plural and the tenses.

TRENDING THREADS