Question Why am I experiencing PC slowdown?

Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
My pc has suddenly slowed down, and I have experienced frame rate drops in games, slow opening times and browser lag, and applications generally working much slower than they used to. I have tried to reinstall Windows 10 twice now but to no help. Also, my pc has been working significantly louder in idle mode and upon starting then it has in the past. I have more than enough storage available and have checked numerous times for viruses.

My specs are: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, AMD Radeon 5700XT, B450 Tomahawk MAX, 1tb m.2 SSD Corsair Vengeance 32gb ram.

My pc has suddenly slowed down, and I have experienced frame rate drops in games, slow opening times and browser lag, and applications generally working much slower than they used to. I have tried to reinstall Windows 10 twice now but to no help. Also, my pc has been working significantly louder in idle mode and upon starting then it has in the past. I have more than enough storage available and have checked numerous times for viruses.

My specs are: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, AMD Radeon 5700XT, B450 Tomahawk MAX, 1tb m.2 SSD Corsair Vengeance 32gb ram.
Did you do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 or did you just follow the prompts to reinstall? Helpfully, Microsoft has made it so that the standard reinstallation won't solve most problems. Did I say "helpfully"?

But what is all the noise about? Are your fans not working correctly? The PSU can also make a buzzing sort of sound, but that's usually harmless. The fans are another story. What are your temperatures running? If the PC is running hot, that will cause your symptoms. First step I would take would be to get temp readings for your CPU and GPU, then we can try to figure out what the noise is and whether that's related to your slowdown.

Your PSU going bad is the other main thing to check at this point, IMO, but look at the temps and fans first. Actually, if your temps are surprisingly low, that could indicate your components aren't getting enough power.

Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
Did you do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 or did you just follow the prompts to reinstall? Helpfully, Microsoft has made it so that the standard reinstallation won't solve most problems. Did I say "helpfully"?

But what is all the noise about? Are your fans not working correctly? The PSU can also make a buzzing sort of sound, but that's usually harmless. The fans are another story. What are your temperatures running? If the PC is running hot, that will cause your symptoms. First step I would take would be to get temp readings for your CPU and GPU, then we can try to figure out what the noise is and whether that's related to your slowdown.

Your PSU going bad is the other main thing to check at this point, IMO, but look at the temps and fans first. Actually, if your temps are surprisingly low, that could indicate your components aren't getting enough power.

To my knowledge, I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10.
As for the noise, it gets very loud when I download large files or start up and play any game. It has nothing to do with my PSU as it is new. My GPU temps are at around 50-60 while playing but the usage can get quite high at random intervals (100% or so)

To my knowledge, I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10.
As for the noise, it gets very loud when I download large files or start up and play any game. It has nothing to do with my PSU as it is new. My GPU temps are at around 50-60 while playing but the usage can get quite high at random intervals (100% or so)
What's the make and model of your PSU? Wattage? What about the CPU temps?

My PSU: Seasonic SSR-650GB3, 650W 80+ Bronze and my CPU temps are at around 60-70 when gaming
Since no one else took the bait to help,,.

Did this just start when you got your new PSU? Do you have any other components hooked up, like a DVD player or a high end sound card? Things powered by USB ports don't count. Those are trivial. I love that PSU, but if there are more things hooked up than you have listed then it could be underpowered.

I don't know what the noise is. It's probably the new PSU, but that doesn't mean it's faulty. Other than the fans, the PSU is the only thing that you've listed that could make significant noise. Things like Hard Drives and DVD players can make a lot of noise. Monitors can hum, but they don't get loud. And I assume you would have noticed if the sound was coming from speakers.

If it started after the new PSU was installed thats an obvious place to look at as @ZedClampet said.

Otherwise...

If temps are really in check and GPU drivers are clean installed from the AMD website (not Windows auto) the easy things I can think of that don't involve switching out hardware would be updating to latest system BIOS and getting the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard installed.

Fans running loud points to overheating and possible thermal throttling, re-applying thermal paste on cooler and cleaning out heatsinks also should be done.

Were there any other hardware changes done at the same time as the PSU?

What CPU cooler is being used, and what games are being played where this is happening?

Whats the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor?

How many RAM sticks are we talking about and what speed are they at? An exact part number would be good to know for the kit somethinglike this (Corsair cmk16gx4m2b3000c15)

What case is this all in and whats the fan set up?

Some of that info might help point to something to try :)

TRENDING THREADS