What's the definition of retro gaming?

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
So how should we do "retro"? Everything more than X years old? Everything from year Y and earlier?
We shouldn't get tied up in defining it, and avoid "That's not retro" "It is too!" wars :)

If you think it's retro, post about it.
No new game released in the last 20 years is retro.
All games over 25 years old are retro
there is a 5 year grey period where it could be maybe retro
I don't think retro should be defined as a specific subset of games. I would say it's more like nostalgia, something that reminds you of "the past", where the cut-off for what is considered "the past" and "current" is different for different people.

So I hadn't checked out this Retro Section before because I thought that it must be about arcade-type games, or text-based games, or early console games; and I felt that I didn't have any relevant information to post. But if we're discussing "old-school" type gaming then I'm enthused, and apologies for being so late in checking out this section.

But as far as the definition of "retro gaming" is concerned, I thought I'd check out this post to get an answer, but it seems as if there are a variety of opinions on what constitutes "retro". Is it a time frame as @Colif suggested? The player's age could also be factor there in the perception of what's retro as @Pifanjr & @Krud mentioned. My perspective as a 68-year-old gamer is going to be different from someone 28, 38, 48, or 58 years of age.

I'm more inclined to agree w/ @Brian Boru in that we should avoid a strict definition to avoid the "retro wars", and just post based on your personal perception.

Just off the top of my head I'll list a handful of games that I think are retro, : the Wizardry and Might & Magic games, the Ulima Games, the Realms of Arkania games, Gabriel Knight games, Lands of Lore, Betrayal at Krondor, Fallouts 1 &2, even the 1st Diablo. All of those are retro games to me.

Just off the top of my head I'll list a handful of games that I think are retro, : the Wizardry and Might & Magic games, the Ulima Games, the Realms of Arkania games, Gabriel Knight games, Lands of Lore, Betrayal at Krondor, Fallouts 1 &2, even the 1st Diablo. All of those are retro games to me.

I would agree with all of those except the Fallouts and Diablo. Though I would say those all had a slightly "retro"-ish feel to them even when they debuted. Blizzard and Interplay leaned into the top-down orthogonal style at a time when other studios were dabbling more with 3D and first-person.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr

ToxicOffender

BANNED
Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
"Retro-Gaming" makes me instantly think of pixelgraphics sidescrollers/shoot-em-ups/jump-n-runs.

I don´t think titles like "Half-Life" or "Fallout" are considered "Retro-Gaming", but then again everyone seems to consider "retro-gaming" all the titles of his childhood/youth so there will probably be people in 3022 (considered this already rotten planet still lives) claiming GTA VI is "retro-gaming".

Well, by 3022 they might have stopped remaking it so maybe GTA 6 will be retro by then. It will be time to make GTA 7.

Its not set in stone, its a rolling 25 years or so, before is retro, after is modern whatever that means by then.

retro might well be "games of youth" perhaps as I didn't see a computer till I was 16, its only every other generation since that always had video games. I remember a time before... it was horrible. the terror...

TRENDING THREADS