• Enter here for a chance to win a custom MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries themed PC powered by Intel!

Enter here for a chance to win a $500 Steam Gift Card and a WD_BLACK D30 Game Drive SSD!

Question What was the first PC game that you bought or played?

What was the first PC game that you bought or played?

• Total voters

Colif

Jan 2, 2020
What was the first PC game that you bought or played?

Simple question really

First game I played was probably some golf game we had on a work pc in the 1990's. I think it was one of the Links games
First PC game I bought was Simcity 3000. I know as I got it a few days after my first PC

Note: only PC games, anything else will be removed
Only comment if your game isn't already in the poll
if your game is included above, simply voting is enough.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Doom II OR Interpla's Battle Chess - can't remember which one.

Both came with first PC my family bought, the seller even was nice enough to showcase cheat codes which I had no idea what kind of magic they even were.

I still remember learning MS-DOS by exploring the files and folders more than I did explore Windows 3.11 that was also installed.

First PC game I bought? Damn that's tricky one. If we're not counting the full versions that were add-ons to magazines... damn I have no idea.

I remember the first one I was really proud and excited about tho! Baldur's Gate , whole saga. So many CDs! So many pages of manuals! Maps! Goodies!

Photo not mine, somebody's is apparently selling one of these. I still have every damn item from it.

Brian Boru

Aug 25, 2020
First game I played was probably some golf game we had on a work pc
Hah, same here! Except it was late 80s; the grapevine whispered that a colleague had a golf game on his PC, and sure enough…

The first games I bought were after I got my own PC in '90. I was into the shareware by mail scene and bought a bunch in my first splurge—ones I can recall for sure:
Battle Chess
Commander Keen
Indiana Jones
Kingdom of Kroz II
Kings Quest
Leisure Suit Larry
Loom
Mah Jongg Solitaire
Prince of Persia
Psion Chess
Sim City
The Secret of Monkey Island

PS they all arrived on 5.25" floppy disks, even tho the 3.5" floppy was more popular by then—but they all worked, no DOAs :)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020
I think I played a demo of Hocus Pocus as my first PC Game. I really can't remember which my first to buy was though.

I think either Hocus Pocus or Raptor was the first game I played.

First to buy for me might have been Morrowind, after I saw it at a friend's house and I just needed to play it myself.

Reactions: Alm

Colif

Jan 2, 2020
Since i am being technical and classifying PC as IBM clones and their off spring, and not Personal Computers like they existed before IBM made theirs, I have to ignore fact I couldn't tell you the first computer game I ever "owned" although ownership was more of having a copy on a floppy drive, overwhelmingly not having the actual hardware to play said games. It was just about having them back in the early 80's, and they weren't animated games yet. First game I bought might even have been on a Tandy Colour, I don't know for sure.. we had one of those long ago.

but that is really off topic since this is IBM PC.

Jun 5, 2021
Almost forgot, in early 90s as a young boy in school, we would play games like Number Munchers and Oregon Trail and a typing game called Mavis Beacon I believe.. But Wolfenstein and Doom were my first I bought, well my parents bought them for me...

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS