What was the first DLC you remember buying? Any regrets?

SWard

Supergirl
Staff member
I was trying to work out what the first game I ever bought DLC for, and what the mechanic was that got me to do it. So what was yours?

From the folks I've been speaking to, they remember expansions really well, but forget about mobile DLC...

For example, I've bought pretty much every expansion pack for the Sims but I think my actual FIRST purchase may have been some kind of lamp in the Sims Social (it was a facebook game, of all things!), because I had worked so hard to get the rest of the set, but I missed the challenge to unlock the lamp, so I thought "Okay fine, the rest of it." Silly huh?

So how about you, what was the first DLC you bought to enhance your game experience, and what do you feel good/bad about getting now?

PCG Fraser

Staff member
Dec 10, 2019
Visit site
I have no idea what DLC I bought first. It was definitely an expansion, maybe for Oblivion? I still don't buy DLC unless it's a properly meaty addition, so my habits haven't really changed since the days of physical expansions. I don't remember the first physical expansion I bought, but I've got a vivid memory of the look on my girlfriend's face when, on a date, I *had to* pop into GAME and buy Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal.

Reactions: PCG AndyC
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Not horse armor that is for sure. I also cannot quite remember my first DLC purchase, I also want to say for Oblivion, but I think they were sold in stores as well so unsure where I picked it up.
In terms of 'expansion packs' when in the google old days they were sold on shelves, I think Command and Conquer Red Alert's Counterstrike and Aftermath must have been the first.

PCG AndyC

News Lead
Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
If we're counting expansions, probably the Desert Storm mission disk for F-15 Strike Eagle 2. (I used to be kind of a casual sim guy.) My first DLC purchase - as in, it was actually called DLC - I'm pretty sure was The Stone Prisoner for Dragon Age: Origins, although I didn't actually buy it separately, I paid extra up front for the CE.

Mknott

Staff member
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
The first premium mod for Neverwinter Nights. I was obsessed with the game back in the day and wanted to support getting as much official content as possible.

It wasn't as good as free mods off the NWVault, but it wasn't disappointing either and the content it added for everyone was good stuff.

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I believe my first expansion or DLC was probably for Fallout 3 on the PS3, although I believe my parents had gotten me one of the dual packs for some holiday thinking it was the actual game. I remember having to go back to Gamestop a week later to get the base game so I could play the DLCs anyway.

As for the first that I bought myself, it was probably the GOTY edition for Borderlands 2 that included all of its DLC and extra levels with it.

Dec 19, 2019
Visit site
The first expansion I remember buying was for Skyrim. I played Oblivion a lot before that and loved it, so I decided to go for it. The only thing I regret is...well, the bugs. And playing it on console before PC. So much starting the game over to get around bugs...AHHH.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
The first expansion I remember buying seperately from a bundle (I bought the Skyrim Legendary Edition in 1 package, same with Oblivion) was the ETS2 Scandinavia DLC. Only started playing actual games on Steam pretty recently :p. Used to play alot of games on my dad's Steam as well.

Dec 20, 2019
Visit site
not call dlc but I alway see Dungeon Keeper: The Deeper Dungeons as dlc before dlc was a think .So you could say that however the first proper thing call dlc I got was for fable 2 so I could get mine doggo back.

Wing Commander The Secret Missions lol

Oh wait you're not talking about ancient times..... TBH I'm not sure, was probably on PS3 actually, multiplayer maps for Uncharted 2 or some cars for GT5.

I'm really trying to remember but I'm coming up with nothing. Mostly can't even remember what stuff I specifically playe dthat was DLC.

With that, according to my Steam purchase history my first recorded purchase of DLC from it is the Reborn DLC for F.E.A.R. 2 in September of 2009, but no, I did not regret it. It wasn't great, but is was fun.

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Not sure what was the first but it might have been one of the expansions for Battlefield 2. I miss the days where DLC was a full blow expansion to the game not some pack of over priced cosmetics.

First DLC I ever bought was the first set of new maps for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. The multiplayer was fantastic in 2009 and 2010, so me and my LAN guys always made sure we had the latest maps to play in.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Steam says:

Killing Floor - Outbreak Character Pack for 1,79€ in August of 2009.

Was alright and not bad price wise.

When it comes to expansions, my first thoughts would have been Diablo Hellfire and Starcraft: Brood War, but those were technically stand-alone games. I think Lord of Destruction for Diablo 2 actually required the base game, so I guess thats it.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Knights of the Nine, the dlc collection for TES: Oblivion on dvd. No regrets, the new faction content alone was worth the price, the other tiny dlcs are just bonus.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Not exactly DLC but I remember in the mid-90s leaving CompUSA with a shiny box for Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (or some other equivalent), only to discover later that it did, in fact, require the base application to run. I do not miss the days of trolling through the marketing material on the box to find those tiny letters.

I'm trying to remember the first actual DLC I purchased. I purchased Battlefield 3 (in the box!) and it came with the future access to the DLC, so I don't think that counts. I quite enjoyed BF3 and all it's content (especially when they added the BF2 maps), and I wouldn't hesitate to reinstall it... if I find the box. Last time I fired it up though, there were like two public servers with anyone in them.

The same could be said for Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business. I purchased the base game and dlc as a pair simply so I would have access to it on Steam, as apposed to physical copy that I'm not even sure where it is today. Unfortunately, since I didn't have much of an original save, I tried my hand at the JA2:UB content with a fresh start and found it far too difficult to really play. You basically end up going against entire barracks of 20-40 elite soldiers in each world tile with your small, under-equipped team.

Ah, I remember now. The first true DLC I purchased was the additional content for Fallout 3. The only one I did not end up purchasing was the Mothership Zeta episode. Point Lookout was definitely the standout content there. I also enjoyed The Pitt, but found it a little bit linear, but not quite as on rails as Operation Anchorage or Broken Steel.

First espansion I bought was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead, but that was on a cd and not downloaded. First DLC? Probably something from Oblivion.

Last edited:

Sarafan

Community Contributor
My first DLCs were probably the DLCs for Dragon Age: Origins. The base game involved me so hard that I had to get the DLCs despite the fact that they weren't on a sale. And I didn't regret that. I got what I wanted to get. :)

TRENDING THREADS