What are your top 3 favorite game genres?

1. Action adventures - (deus ex, system shock 2, thief etc)
2. FPS
3. RPGS

Generally games of skill or those that reward commitment, failing that squad based tactics with a good story. You would argue simulators like minecraft, Sim city, cities skyline would be near the top, but it feels more like work rather then enjoyment. RTS games i enjoy the simple ones but the fact that i have to constantly rebuild a base, do the research and all the while being harrassed by the enemy just rubs me the wrong way. Its probably why i prefer squad based stuff as its slower, more relaxing to play and more intimate. Too often i just lose units because it becomes too cumbersome and/or forget about units. honorable mention to World in Conflict, probably the most fun RTS game i've had. Simple controls, more hands on movement of units etc, exciting combat and was pretty cinematic.

1. Open World RPGs in either 1st or 3rd person perspective (like Skyrim, FO4, Elex). Bonus points for those that include an in depth crafting system and home/base construction, or settlement construction.

2. Party-based RPGs, usually isometric, but occasionally 3rd or 1st person perspective. The strongest ones have in-depth party/companion interactions and personalities. Bonus points for detailed companion questlines and backstories. Such as the Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, and Pillars of Eternity games.

3. Action RPGs (ARPGs). From my playing experience they're mostly isometric, like Diablo, Sacred, and Grim Dawn. But they can also be 1st or 3rd person, though I have less experience with those. Kill, loot, level up, and upgrading equipment are the primary goals.

An addendum to the above: Any of the above genres that have the "souls-like", "rogue-like", "MMO", or "online only" tag are immediately ignored.

Genre is hard to pin down sometimes, could just put 'RPG' and find an argument to include almost everything in that as the term has become so general it's almost meaningless. Anyway going by the games I've spent most hours in generally.

1. Isometric CRPG
2. Souls Like (Even if I mostly only like Fromsoft ones)
3. Turn based tactics

I hate that I havent got room for Grand strategy, 4X, FPS, 3rd person shooters, and a load of other stuff.

I have to choose 3?

um

1. Arpg
2. Racing games (though not recently). I used to play them years ago, I can't afford the rigs people use for it on PC.
3... Pinball games a distant 3rd (its been a long time since I played one, it was on playstation 4... I don't own one of those anymore. While recreating old pinball machines is cool, some of the fantasy machines are just all the same... or is that just Zen Pinball.

I have to choose 3?

um

3... Pinball games a distant 3rd (its been a long time since I played one, it was on playstation 4... I don't own one of those anymore. While recreating old pinball machines is cool, some of the fantasy machines are just all the same... or is that just Zen Pinball.
Pinball FX 3 has some nice machines. I picked up a couple of bundles during the latest sale. I used to have another pinball game that was only replicas. I thought it was Pinball Arcade, but if it is, I think they've lost the Williams content that I purchased ages ago. I need to reinstall it and see if I still have those machines.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS