What are you playing this weekend? December 2023

I'm going to hop around to a bunch of games, as usual, but my main interests this weekend are:

Weed Shop 3--I'm getting close to the end game. It's amazingly complex for a game I thought was going to be mostly a joke. It's definitely funny, but it's no joke.

Forza Motorsport

Talos Principle 2
--I'm just now around the mid-point of the game. I'm enjoying it immensely and trying to drag it out as long as possible

SteamWorld Build--on Game Pass. Looks interesting, so I'm going to try it out.

And maybe a little Lethal Company if the kids want a break from studying for finals.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, Yakuza 6 for sure.

It sure is funny how the game goes in and out of battle mode. Unlike the earlier games, this seamlessly switches into battle mode wherever you happen to be. It mostly-seamlessly switches out again, too, as soon as you defeat the last enemy. What gets funny, is that it switches out immediately. It does it so quickly, that the last guy you hit has only had a split second to do his ragdoll flopping before freezing and then evaporating a couple of seconds later. They can be flying through the air, and they'll still get frozen mid-flight!

Usual quickies—Pohtzee, Picross Touch—almost 1,000 done!—and Wordle 2.

I started a Far Cry 5 replay yesterday, now I need to figure out why game version is 1.000, which is too old for the essential Resistance mod. I hate Ubi Connect and their shenanigans—assuming it isn't Steam, of course. Game launch is:
Click icon
Steam update
Ubi Connect UAC screen
Ubi Connect UAC screen
Ubi Connect UAC screen
Wait a bit, then game main screen.

Yep, there are 3 UAC prompts. Happily each times out after a while, so it's not as bad as it sounds—in practice, I click icon, go do something, and main menu is waiting when I return.

Why the heck my game EXE is now an older version than last time is a mystery tho—I never uninstalled the game. I have of course installed FC6 since last play, so maybe that messed with FC5 somehow? Played FC5 New Dawn recently without any problem running Scavenger mod.

Odd thing is, new game [not a continue] started in Dutch's island—ie it bypassed the obnoxious long intro sequence and mission—which is a main function of the mod. Or maybe I got a separate mod for that before Resistance became available? Dunno yet…

Usual quickies—Pohtzee, Picross Touch—almost 1,000 done!—and Wordle 2.

I started a Far Cry 5 replay yesterday, now I need to figure out why game version is 1.000, which is too old for the essential Resistance mod. I hate Ubi Connect and their shenanigans—assuming it isn't Steam, of course. Game launch is:
Click icon
Steam update
Ubi Connect UAC screen
Ubi Connect UAC screen
Ubi Connect UAC screen
Wait a bit, then game main screen.

Yep, there are 3 UAC prompts. Happily each times out after a while, so it's not as bad as it sounds—in practice, I click icon, go do something, and main menu is waiting when I return.

Why the heck my game EXE is now an older version than last time is a mystery tho—I never uninstalled the game. I have of course installed FC6 since last play, so maybe that messed with FC5 somehow? Played FC5 New Dawn recently without any problem running Scavenger mod.

Odd thing is, new game [not a continue] started in Dutch's island—ie it bypassed the obnoxious long intro sequence and mission—which is a main function of the mod. Or maybe I got a separate mod for that before Resistance became available? Dunno yet…
When you get the UAC screen, why don't you just say "Allow" instead of letting it time out? You've previously agreed to use their software, so you probably need to let them update it, install security patches, etc. Either that or uninstall it.

BTW, the Ubi launcher always does this, even if you directly launch it. EA's launcher now does it about a dozen times. Not sure what's wrong with these people.

As for the version, I don't know, but by refusing to answer the UAC screen you are telling Ubisoft that they don't have permission to change anything on your system, and I was under the impression that Ubisoft frequently did updates through their launcher as you launched your game (even if launched from Steam). In fact, you might try just opening their launcher and attempt to launch the game from there and see if they update it, assuming you tell them they can make changes to your system.

Last edited:
When you get the UAC screen, why don't you just say "Allow" instead of letting it time out?

Because I don't want to sit there clicking and waiting. Click 'Allow', wait… Click 'Allow', wait… Click 'Allow' wait. It's not quick either, there's prob a 10-second wait between one click and the next UAC appearance.

you might try just opening their launcher and attempt to launch the game from there and see if they update it

Yeah, worth a shot, thanks :)

Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yakuza 6 main story line is getting good!

Something that is strange, though... what sort of mobile phone is Kiryu using? He gets into SERIOUS brawls where he gets thrown around rooms, yet his phone never gets scratched. Come to think of it, that's true for a lot of games set in modern times.
... there's prob a 10-second wait between one click and the next UAC appearance.
About this term "patient gamer" ;)

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
I'm going to hop around to a bunch of games, as usual, but my main interests this weekend are:

Weed Shop 3--I'm getting close to the end game. It's amazingly complex for a game I thought was going to be mostly a joke. It's definitely funny, but it's no joke.

Forza Motorsport

Talos Principle 2
--I'm just now around the mid-point of the game. I'm enjoying it immensely and trying to drag it out as long as possible

SteamWorld Build--on Game Pass. Looks interesting, so I'm going to try it out.

And maybe a little Lethal Company if the kids want a break from studying for finals.

How are you liking Forza Motorsport?

I played a little more Ruiner yesterday, and I booted up Pathfinder WOTR because I wasnt feeling a new game in Wartales right now. Spent a long time in the character creator and then deleted it all and picked the pre made fighter because I'm not all that familiar with the ruleset. Bit disappointing to go with a character with mid Int and low Charisma, not sure if you can use a companion for conversations to get any additional dialogue options my main would miss out on.

Because I don't want to sit there clicking and waiting. Click 'Allow', wait… Click 'Allow', wait… Click 'Allow' wait. It's not quick either, there's prob a 10-second wait between one click and the next UAC appearance.

Yeah, worth a shot, thanks :)
Ah, on my PC it moves instantly from one to the next. I just assumed it was like that for everyone. Three rapid clicks, and I'm done.

How are you liking Forza Motorsport?
Well, I'm liking it quite a bit, but most people don't. People don't like that there are less tracks and cars, at least at launch. They don't like that you have to level up cars in order to upgrade them instead of just using money and driver experience. Some people say they are experiencing bugs and performance issues, but I haven't had any problems. Some people don't like that the career is shorter than usual and that you are required to run 3 practice laps before every race. Some think the game is too easy, while others think the game is too hard.

I think that covers most people's complaints. Me? I'm playing it casually on Game Pass and having a lot of fun.

About this term "patient gamer"
:D
Note, it's "gamer"—not 'clicker' or 'sit-arounder'!
I timed one of the waits, it's 12 seconds.

@ZedClampet I tried the Ubi Connect direct suggestion, clicking 'Yes' each time. There were 4 popups this time, so maybe the usual Steam initial one takes care of the new first Ubi one… *shrug*

File version remains 1.0.0.0. It may be okay tho—I've been 'Blessed' but no hunting parties have chased me yet or I haven't been grabbed out of a helicopter either.

My current guess is that the mod is working as intended—I checked and I don't have a separate skip-intro mod. The file version thing only means I can't change the mod options, which I can live with—or of course start over by uninstalling everything if I want.

Three rapid clicks, and I'm done

Me: Hey PC, what about that?
PC: "Creak"

And I thought I was bad with my ADHD. :ROFLMAO:

I have no idea what's going on with your version number. You could try changing your Steam update options to "Only update this game when launched" and see if that triggers something the next time it launches. Or you could run a file integrity check. Steam should check what you have against the latest files it has. Or you could uninstall/reinstall. Of course, all of this may take more than 12 seconds :)

Zloth

Community Contributor
I played a little more Ruiner yesterday, and I booted up Pathfinder WOTR because I wasnt feeling a new game in Wartales right now. Spent a long time in the character creator and then deleted it all and picked the pre made fighter because I'm not all that familiar with the ruleset. Bit disappointing to go with a character with mid Int and low Charisma, not sure if you can use a companion for conversations to get any additional dialogue options my main would miss out on.
Your whole party gets a crack at the skill checks - it lets you pick whomever has the best chance. You'll need that down the line as there aren't anywhere near enough skill points to let you cover everything with one character. Somebody in the party should be able to handle perception, somebody should be able to handle lock picking, somebody should be able to do the athletics stuff, and so on.

Fighters are good in that rule system. Maybe less so in Wrath of the Righteous than in the first game due to some huge demons with offensive bonuses that are so high that they mangle whatever they attack, regardless of defense. Fighters don't get spells, but they do get a lot more feats, so you still get lots of combat choices.

:D
Note, it's "gamer"—not 'clicker' or 'sit-arounder'!
Ah, so waiting an extra year for a game is fine. Waiting an extra 12 seconds is a no-go. ;)

No, actually I get it. After all, one of my pet peeves are those "press any key" screens that show up before giving you the main menu. Those take way less than 12 seconds.

Waiting an extra 12 seconds is a no-go

Oh 12 secs would be no prob, I do that with lots of small games—but this starts with Steam looking for the network, then doing a quick update, then we get into the 12-sec dance. That's 3 such dances, not one. That done, the game launch process starts, which takes another whatever… so yeah, definitely far beyond my Patience threshold :)

one of my pet peeves are those "press any key" screens

Amen.

@ZedClampet I'm going to ignore it all unless it breaks the game :)

Reactions: Pifanjr and Zloth
Played Turok 3 which just dropped thursday. Its a great remake of a game i remembered playing but not liking as much as Turok 2 but they did some amazing re-work. Honestly this is how remasters of old games should be done. They omitted the MP portion of the game for whatever reason (it had bots), but im not missing it.

Other than that, Diablo 4 and Destiny 2 are still the big players for me.

Oh 12 secs would be no prob, I do that with lots of small games—but this starts with Steam looking for the network, then doing a quick update, then we get into the 12-sec dance. That's 3 such dances, not one. That done, the game launch process starts, which takes another whatever… so yeah, definitely far beyond my Patience threshold :)

Amen.

@ZedClampet I'm going to ignore it all unless it breaks the game :)
Do what you want, but I would suggest that once a month you do the unthinkable and suffer through the 36 seconds just in case ignoring those pop-ups is preventing you from getting security patches. I don't know if they are or not, but it seems probable, but most of those type prompts from other places don't go away if you ignore them, so I don't know what Ubisoft is doing.

@Zloth Don't give in to @Brian Boru 's madness so easily. As he has proven beyond a doubt today, there is nothing patient about him. His cheapness just outweighs his impatience when it comes to buying games. Plus, why does he need new games when he has a beneficial mental disorder that allows him to play Far Cry 5 10 times a year? Except, of course, for the beginning and the end. He only ever plays the beginning once and absolutely never plays the end.

My kid got into Spore, so I've been helping her out this weekend. The cell stage was doable for her, with the creature stage I helped in telling her what buttons to press and I took over for the tribal and civilization stages. She didn't really like that she had to control multiple units and didn't really understand how it worked, nor did she really care as she just wanted to go to space. Luckily the tribal and civilization stages are very short, especially when playing on easy difficulty.

When we finally did go to space, she was annoyed at all the tutorials we needed to do. She definitely prefers sandbox experiences. She was also disappointed she couldn't land on planets or really do much of anything yet. I used a cheat to give her a bunch of money so we could get a bit of a head start and I might also use a cheat to unlock all of the tools if she get bored of having to earn them.

I might just have to get her No Man's Sky, which I think will be more in line with her expectations. It might have a bit of a learning curve for her, but being able to play with a controller will help and I just read you can tweak the difficulty settings to the point where you don't have to worry about any of the survival or combat mechanics at all. If it's on sale during the Steam Christmas sale, it would make a good gift for her (and myself...)

My kid got into Spore, so I've been helping her out this weekend. The cell stage was doable for her, with the creature stage I helped in telling her what buttons to press and I took over for the tribal and civilization stages. She didn't really like that she had to control multiple units and didn't really understand how it worked, nor did she really care as she just wanted to go to space. Luckily the tribal and civilization stages are very short, especially when playing on easy difficulty.

When we finally did go to space, she was annoyed at all the tutorials we needed to do. She definitely prefers sandbox experiences. She was also disappointed she couldn't land on planets or really do much of anything yet. I used a cheat to give her a bunch of money so we could get a bit of a head start and I might also use a cheat to unlock all of the tools if she get bored of having to earn them.

I might just have to get her No Man's Sky, which I think will be more in line with her expectations. It might have a bit of a learning curve for her, but being able to play with a controller will help and I just read you can tweak the difficulty settings to the point where you don't have to worry about any of the survival or combat mechanics at all. If it's on sale during the Steam Christmas sale, it would make a good gift for her (and myself...)
I was going to say that the sentries would give her a hard time, but I didn't know you could get rid of them in the options. You should be aware that you are constantly having to gather resources and that crafting all the things you need can be a bit complex. I'm assuming you can't get rid of fuel needs in the options, and everything in the game requires fuel of some type, including all of your tools, most of which need different fuels.

She's old enough to enjoy Wizard101 now, and the first world is free if you ever want to try that. My kids played that from age 5, and they still play it occasionally today. Combat after the first 3 worlds gets slightly challenging, but the first three worlds will last you a good while, and you could always help her with strategies later. Game is very well written and every line is voice acted. Wonderful game for kids.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts