The last game you completed

Page 15 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I actually recently completed 2 games, something that rarely happens (these 2 games were both pretty short).

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North - Played this originally on 360, but never completed it, and then on the Onlive streaming platform (which I also didn't complete it on). This game still holds up very well, and was a blast. I only played with the Ranger class, so will be fun to go back through it with the 2 other characters.

Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse - I remember this game originally releasing and I always wanted to buy it, but just never got around to it. Very short game, with humour I probably would have loved back on release. Decent soundtrack. Was worth the play as it came in the Humble Choice.

Just finished Beat Cop. Overall not a bad game. Not the longest game (too me probably 6 hours tops to finish), but was entertaining all the same. it kinda reminds me of papers please but with cars. The pixel graphics was up my street and how kelly gets into numerous absurdly entertaining situations whilst being under pressure to prove his innocence and keeping his job writing tickets.

Would i recommend it? yeah sure. Snap it up on special offer and you won't regret it. i would like to mention highlights, but too spoiler heavy. I did come across one bug in the game but restarting the day and it didn't happen again.

Edit: ok i'm throwing this one in here as well. Goat simulator. not my cup of tea. Didn't find anything particular rib tickling funny with the physics and honestly it felt like a whole load of assets thrown together for the lols. Unsurprisingly, i don't recommend it and i only installed it to give it a quick blast and cross it off my unplayed list. What to play next? Probably another indie game. But steam backlog is full of em.

Finished Saints Row 4 and Gat out of Hell. Fun super power games. Gat out of Hell has the best flying in any game I've played, but the game was obviously rushed. Hell is significantly smaller than steel port, there are like, 3 cut scenes and you can beat the story in probably 2 hours. It's a shame because otherwise Hell is really the perfect setting for the general antics of the series.

Well chalk another game off my list. This time its Zero Time Dilema. Now full disclosure, this was on the 3ds but you can buy this on the PC. my TLDR: don't bother. you're not missing out on much.

So my thoughts? When i first started playing it: "oh dear, oh dear, oh dear" by the time i finished it, my opinions of the game increased bordered between average to "what a bloody waste of time" and Seriously disappointing.

Ok so the game wasn't a total disaster but there was a lot of things wrong with it. Right from the offset Zero Time dilema was the thrilling conclusion of the previous nonary games whereby the protagonists of past 2 games enter the Dcom testing facility to take part in an experiment with attempt to stop the radical6 outbreak that kills billions of people in the future. The stakes couldn't be higher! and based on how the past 2 games were i was expecting a thrilling cracker of a story. But more about that later.

Ok lets rid of the 3ds issues. For some reason the team got lazy with the notepad feature. After implementing a decent one in virtues last reward its somewhat baffling that ZTD's one is cack. unresponsive (you can't do fullstops, dots etc), the lines are thicker and to add insult to injury they limit the amount you could write on the page! theres a bloody limited ink function! not that it matters as the screen is so tiny on the 3ds you'll run out of space before you run out of ink. But wait it gets worse, the eraser uses the ink as well! So your best bet is to just reset everything each time. Ok for non 3ds users you're going to have to use pen and paper. Which is fine.

Now, i've previously mentioned that the 3D anime graphics of Virtues last reward wasn't my cup of tea, they lacked character and 3d anime just isn't all that great. so ZTD has made quite an effort to do an even WORSE job of it. Ok, the environments and graphics are nicer which makes it even more galling that the characters aren't exactly well designed, they have a samey feel to proceedings and they're even more soulless then before. The returning cast look little like their original ones and their personality's do a 180. Whilst we have movies/FMV etc the animation is boring for the most part or just weak; mostly their mouths moving out of sync. More concerning are the slack jawed expressions the characters pull when they supposed to look shocked or express anger its unintentionally funny in a bad way. its not helped that the characters aren't all that interesting and for the most part lines are delivered lifelessly thats not to say that there weren't some good moments, but i couldn'r say i cared for them by the end.

Gameplay wise... meh its fine. there were points i thought was bloody tedious but escaping the rooms are fine....

...But lets talk about the story/Visual novel aspects of the game. The previous 2 were crackers so it had a lot to live up to. Part of the problem is the fragmented nature of the story. The incoherent nature feels like it works against the story. I understand why they did it (to create a sense of disorientation/confusion like the characters having been drugged each time) but it impacts flow significantly. You could be playing pieces of several timelines and they could be anywhere from start, middle or end. its increasingly more baffling when the make comments on certain decisions or you start scratching your head and saying "wait a sec..." a lot. Sometimes you might play a chapter whereby both options result in you dying but one is game over and the other concludes the story properly. Luckily there is a flow chart, but (whether a its a clever twist or not is up to you) that changes in structure as well so you can't rely on that until much later. Failure in the story is scripted into the game which, i suppose its possible but it sure leaves a distaste in my mouth doing it. I won't spoil it here, but some of them are just crap. Sometimes it feels like i have to willfully make the wrong decision to proceed to unlock some of the story etc or it doesn't really matter.

The story does have some plot twists but no where near as good as Virtues last reward. The story conclusion itself can be summed up as a cop out. i would love to spoil the ending just to explain why. lets just say its doesn't solve anything and just hints at another possible story. Add insult to injury the epilogue stories of the characters is viewable as a paragraph of text.

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
and before that
Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts
I usually try to finish games if they are not annoying or boring for me.

One more game to chalk of the list Shadow Warrior 2. Overall a a fun game even if a bit light on content.

Now, normally i play FPS/action games on hard, but for reason i opted to play the game on normal. i'm glad i did as i had a lot more fun compared to the original. maybe it was because i wasn't so frustrating, maybe because i could grind out Exp to give myself an edge, maybe because i had decent weapons. mods or maybe a combination of the whole lot.

Visually it was very impressive, but it doesn't take long for you to realize how light on content it is as the game recycles the same key areas repeatedly for each of the missions. Its not helped that you face of the same enemies so it compounds the repetitive nature. For an "open world" game, its light and i wish there was a more linear game somewhere. Loot whilst cool and all, like most looter shooters etc i quickly got snowed under by so many upgrades that stopped caring and i got away with it for the most part on normal.

I would still recommend the game, although on a sale as full price for this game isn't worth it. One thing i would mention is that maybe i would like to see more a First person fuedal japan hack and slash game with the combat and some of the mechanics of Shadow warrior 2.

Shadow Warrior 2 … light on content it is as the game recycles the same key areas repeatedly
Just in case you're not aware, Wiki says:
"Every mission, except for story-specific events, features a randomly generated level design and content, including randomized map layouts, enemy positions, terrain, buildings, and weather conditions."

Sounds like good variety outside the story missions.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Just in case you're not aware, Wiki says:
"Every mission, except for story-specific events, features a randomly generated level design and content, including randomized map layouts, enemy positions, terrain, buildings, and weather conditions."

Sounds like good variety outside the story missions.

Sure didn't feel like it. Granted the weather effects, the lighting effects, maybe the different types of enemies and starting locations were different at times. But besides that, i played through all the bounties, secondary missions etc and i could swear the maps are the same ones. To put things in context, i got so familiar with the handful of maps that i would be able to find the secrets in the same rooms and same locations. So when the game has a achievement to find 50 secrets, i believe its easily plausible. Unless there are some other randomly generated maps, i'm pretty confident that it was the same ones or it didn't do enough to randomly generate level design.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I finished Yakuza 2 last night.

You know how some of those older movies (and even some newer ones) will have somebody give a little speech as they lay dying? Y2 loves that. Even people shot multiple times at point blank range will talk your ear off. I think at least 70% of the lines in the final battle are given by somebody who's been shot at least once. I'm starting to think Japanese criminals only have one in twenty bullets be real bullets while the other 95% are rubber covered with red food dye.

There's other outright amateur things, too. When you find some item/pet for a person, you'll get a text from them later saying how much they are enjoying the whatever-it-is, which is nice. Except that it happens literally two seconds after you hand it over. The main character's adopted daughter is mercifully sent away when things get bad - then she suddenly decides to come back on her own (somehow), just in time to get kidnapped yet again.

(There's some really nice moments when Kiyru takes her around town, but this little kid eats like a horse! A carnivorous horse! Though, given all the times she's been kidnapped and the brutal slaughters she's witnessed, a little pathological eating is probably the least of her worries.)

HOWEVER, that's only the serious story part of the game! The silly side quests are still mostly fun. There's still plenty of minigames to play, including a mahjong that's pretty complex. There's even a little Virtua Fighter 2 arcade. The fighter coliseum is much improved (love the Battle Royale!), too. And, of course, the fighting is as fun as always. All those things are where you're going to be spending the vast majority of your time.

So, overall, I would give it a score of... 83. Give or take 2.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Oh the food! I experienced real culture shock when I popped in to Smile Burgers and found a tuna fish burger for sale. Dropping a lobster head in some soup is exotic, no worries there. But a tuna burger... that could happen HERE!

Now I know fear.

Reactions: Opih95
Another game off the list. This time its Zombie Driver HD. Not a bad game had fun even if there were points it missed the mark. Surprised that there was a story mode along with the race and slaughter mode. Didn't take long to see everything, but then again i paid peanuts for it so irt was ok.

Reactions: amrist

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Sure didn't feel like it. Granted the weather effects, the lighting effects, maybe the different types of enemies and starting locations were different at times. But besides that, i played through all the bounties, secondary missions etc and i could swear the maps are the same ones. To put things in context, i got so familiar with the handful of maps that i would be able to find the secrets in the same rooms and same locations. So when the game has a achievement to find 50 secrets, i believe its easily plausible. Unless there are some other randomly generated maps, i'm pretty confident that it was the same ones or it didn't do enough to randomly generate level design.
Indeed, because the "randomization" is not full random - every level is made from pre-build "blocks", that have the same theme that suits the level. They can be connected differently and have different placement of enemies, but other than that, it's the same "block" you've visited few times already.

I had 100% achievements in SW2, I know. I spent quite a lot of time lurking in there. Also co-op could be fun if not for spongy enemies the size of a house. On highest difficulty settings killing one enemy can require a solid few buckets of lead.

On the topic I didn't finish a damn game recently. Trying to get through few tho!

What other games can you recommend for children?
See if any of these threads help:

Indeed, because the "randomization" is not full random - every level is made from pre-build "blocks", that have the same theme that suits the level. They can be connected differently and have different placement of enemies, but other than that, it's the same "block" you've visited few times already.

I had 100% achievements in SW2, I know. I spent quite a lot of time lurking in there. Also co-op could be fun if not for spongy enemies the size of a house. On highest difficulty settings killing one enemy can require a solid few buckets of lead.

On the topic I didn't finish a damn game recently. Trying to get through few tho!

yeah the spongyness of those enemies was probably why i played it on normal. I remember playing the first shadow warrior and coming out of it a bit disappointed. If i wanted, i could always crank the difficulty higher once i got some skills etc. The guns themselves were a real disappointment to the point i just used the sword more often and playing on normal i could just ignore the explosive damage of the bugs and the various status effects of monsters.

Reactions: Pifanjr
With POE league starting in a few weeks i've been trying to clear my large back log of indie games. This time its Girl likes robots. A simple enough puzzle game that gets fiendishly difficult at times with some bordering on seriously frustrating. Whilst i like the art style and respect the passion in it, it does get sickly at times. I got it in some bundle so meh, its ok.

i was hoping to play the blackflag DLC i bought some years back but it doesn't appear to be loading into the account. Oh well, i'll need to find another indie game to play.

TRENDING THREADS