The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (May 15 to May 21)

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
ZERO

I started working at age 12. By the time I finished high school, I was push mowing 14 lawns a week and delivering the morning paper. I worked at a mental hospital (anyone who says it's insulting to say that mental hospitals are scary has never spent time in one) all through college and then have worked at a variety of things since graduating. I ran a Quality Systems company that examined banking systems and conducted customer quality surveys for banks. I worked, but only for about 6 months, for Citibank and tried to save people from having their homes foreclosed. I ran an insurance company call center. Then I finally became a consultant, dealing with a variety of things to help banks, but concentrating lately on cybersecurity and disaster planning (I can't tell you how many times I worked with banks to create plans for dealing with pandemics prior to 2020).

And today at 10:00 am, it ended.

I'm retired.

I think my allergies are bothering me because something is wrong with my eyes.

Between you, @WoodenSaucer and @Brian Boru I'm starting to feel like a minor..

I'm not crying your crying type of vibes there Zed.

ZERO

I started working at age 12. By the time I finished high school, I was push mowing 14 lawns a week and delivering the morning paper. I worked at a mental hospital (anyone who says it's insulting to say that mental hospitals are scary has never spent time in one) all through college and then have worked at a variety of things since graduating. I ran a Quality Systems company that examined banking systems and conducted customer quality surveys for banks. I worked, but only for about 6 months, for Citibank and tried to save people from having their homes foreclosed. I ran an insurance company call center. Then I finally became a consultant, dealing with a variety of things to help banks, but concentrating lately on cybersecurity and disaster planning (I can't tell you how many times I worked with banks to create plans for dealing with pandemics prior to 2020).

And today at 10:00 am, it ended.

I'm retired.

I think my allergies are bothering me because something is wrong with my eyes.
Congratulations, Zed!

Does this mean we'll see more of you? :(

Hopefully more but not a whole lot more. The possibility of spending a ton of time on forums was one thing that almost scared me out of retirement because I'm the type of person who is perfectly capable of spending the entire day chatting on the Internet, which is an awful waste of time.

I worked at a mental hospital (anyone who says it's insulting to say that mental hospitals are scary has never spent time in one)
Back in college I worked parttime for a newspaper in Athens, Ohio as a photographer. One of the writers and I were assigned to do a story at the mental institution/hospital located in the woods just outside Athens. The orderly that was our "assigned" guide took us through the basement as a shortcut to get to another area. That basement was like you'd imagine in a horror movie. Narrow hallways, crumbling brick walls, lit only by the occasional single light bulb hanging from the ceiling, and a dozen or so small cells, each with a narrow bed and a door with a tiny window.

But the creepiest part, was the graveyard I found after I was able to wander away and poke around outside the facility. It was located down a hill behind the building, heavily overgrown, with many of the gravestones fallen or starting to crumble. Looking closer at the headstones, I found that they didn't have names on them, but a single number on each one (32, 48, ect). So here were the remains of maybe 30-40 people that only had a single number to mark their existence. That stuck with me all these years (that was back in 1981-82), so yeah, I find mental hospitals/institutions scary.

I played a bunch more Stardew Valley with my kid this weekend. Probably too much, but she woke me up before 6 both days and it took a while before I was actually awake enough to get her outside.

We've been playing with cheats as she both wants to have everything unlocked, but also doesn't understand how to do it herself and doesn't like me doing it as she prefers playing house to actually playing the game most of the time. We've unlocked Ginger Island now and just unlocked the house there. Now I'm trying to get enough golden walnuts to unlock the resort as well, hopefully before she spends them on random stuff we don't need.

spending the entire day chatting on the Internet, which is an awful waste of time.

What kind of non-wasteful activities do you have planned?

What kind of non-wasteful activities do you have planned?
I've kind of subconsciously attached values to the things I do. I suppose most people do. I don't feel good about myself if I spend long amounts of time online if all I'm doing is roaming message boards. That's kind of my lowest value time waster.

The things I value most, now that I'm not working, would be taking care of the house/yard, taking care of my family, learning new things, and creating things (art, music, mods, maybe a game-though I haven't done that last one yet). Exercise would be up there if I ever got any exercise. Taking care of myself and getting more sleep needs to have a higher priority. Because of my upbringing, I value pretty much any kind of book reading.

Gaming is kind of neutral. As long as I'm not ignoring my responsibilities, I'll let myself game as much as I want. After a long gaming session, I don't really feel good or bad about it.

TRENDING THREADS