The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (14 August to 20 August)

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
OT: What do you all think of the real world "Line" city being planned by Saudi Arabia as shown in this Christopher Livingston article?

Just ignoring the political side of Saudi Arabia and all their other nonsense, that city as depicted in the video just looks amazing to me. I've always loved sci-fi cities. If they really do build that, I would be very tempted to pay it a visit just to marvel at it.

Pretty sure this is just PR and will never get build. I don't think there's enough demand for it to be viable. You'd need a proper cross section of the population to fill all the jobs that would exist in a place like that, so you would have to account for the needs of all of those people beforehand. If you screw up somewhere you're going to have missing services, meaning the place becomes less attractive to live, meaning you have even less people to do the jobs that need doing, etc.

Pretty sure this is just PR and will never get build. I don't think there's enough demand for it to be viable. You'd need a proper cross section of the population to fill all the jobs that would exist in a place like that, so you would have to account for the needs of all of those people beforehand. If you screw up somewhere you're going to have missing services, meaning the place becomes less attractive to live, meaning you have even less people to do the jobs that need doing, etc.
I'm not sure it's even possible to build it due to cost.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Epic Games also got it going. Seems that some of the games are cheaper on Epic Games and similar on Steam. They also have some different titles on sale also.
Can't check Epic because I don't have it installed at the moment. Need to fix that. But GoG also has a sale going.

Concurrent to all this, Steam also has a "Games Made in New Zealand" event that apparently encompasses about 75 games, though not all of them seem to be on sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frindis and Pifanjr
Someone made a nemesis system for Skyrim:

I especially like the idea that death doesn't just send you back to your last save. It's a nice compromise between save-scumming or redoing a section.

Someone made a nemesis system for Skyrim:

I especially like the idea that death doesn't just send you back to your last save. It's a nice compromise between save-scumming or redoing a section.
This is only tangentially related, but the Ghost Watcher game we started playing doesn't make you lose all your inventory when you die as do Phasmophobia and Ghost Exiles. Changes like that, or not having to save-scum so often with that Skyrim mod, can really make a huge difference in your enjoyment of the game. Both could be considered balance issues, but having to go back too far or rebuy all your equipment both have an aspect of punishment to them that isn't fun. I much prefer my games to be challenging rather than punishing.

Because I've made a dozen posts that were, in my mind, related to Solasta, but was never smart enough to make an actual Solasta thread, I'll just put this here.

I rolled a new Cleric and surprisingly got a pretty good roll (on try 392--joking) that gave me some interesting options. I know from my brief playthrough that Charisma can help a lot. The character was a high elf and got a plus 2 to charisma, so I decided to go all in and put my 18 in Charisma to end up with a 20. Talking NPC's into seeing things your way sounds like it could be one of the more important talents your group could have. Her constitution is what took the real hit and was at 16. That's still good by my standards, but at some point I'll probably wish I had all those extra hit points. I'll have a lot of fun persuading people, though.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Zloth
After yesterday's complaints about my liveries, I've come up with a new (new to me, at least) way of doing gradients that I'm content with for now.

ferrari-tr.png

It may not be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, but at least I'm not embarrassed by it :D

Been watching some longplays recently. The one thats got me very interested was the COD MW3 longplay and gotta say, it looked like a lot of fun and i would have loved it. Alas for less then 10 hours (the LP was under 4) i don't think i could have justified getting it back in the day. its got me wondering what the other sp campaigns are like in the later games. Would be interested how far off the rails and became rubbish. i stopped after Black ops and that one wasn't all that good.

I'm not embarrassed by it
Nor should you be—be proud you rescued it before the fire reached the rear two-thirds.

Started the final GDI mission in Command and Conquer Remastered last night. My starting force included 2 Engineers, and there were a Power Station and Comms Center right there for them to capture—nice, I always rush the CC cos I like my map.

Deployed my MCV and built a Refinery. Once my Harvester wandered down into the Tiberium field, guess what happened… 3 Nod Engineers appeared out of the FoW and proceeded to capture my Construction Yard and Refinery! Nice one guys, very cute :D

Round 2: My starting APC & 3 soldiers take care of the problem above, and I get 2nd Refinery going—I usually go for 2 Refs asap, and a 3rd Harvester later. Both Harvesters go a little deeper in the Tib field… and come under enemy Turret fire!

Meanwhile, harassment attacks on the base are continuing and my starting Tank and APC are the worse for wear. So time for a Repair Station to fix 'em & Harvesters. Then finally get an Advanced Guard Tower at harass central, and… FFS there's another Turret just across the bridge which starts plugging my AGT! I don't have enough cash to engage in a war of repair attrition—which I would lose anyway—so have to sell AGT and rebuild out of Turret range. Grr!

Did I mention I like air power? Time for choppers! Soon have 3 Orcas—grouped as Team 1—which I send to whack a Turret. No surprise there's AA nearby, so have to withdraw. Get 4th Orca—needs 4 to whack AA without losing one—and go whack the AA. Finally get the Turrets cleared… until Nod rebuilds the one across the bridge just beside my base! That's cheating, C&C rule is you can't construct anything unless it's beside an existing building. Sauce for the gander—I whack the Turret again and build a sandbag chain across the bridge until I have a sandbag in the Turret spot. This will stop the rebuild. Gah!

"Ion Cannon ready"… oh goodie :D

Nor should you be—be proud you rescued it before the fire reached the rear two-thirds.

:ROFLMAO: I really meant I was more happy with the technique than the car. The front of the car is actually a lighter red. I just did the picture in black while I was goofing around with it because I thought the gradient was more pronounced. Changing the front is just a one click thing whereas the rest of the car is more complicated. I was cycling through colors and stopped at black. I didn't even think about it looking like it was in a fire, but it really does hahahaha

This is only tangentially related, but the Ghost Watcher game we started playing doesn't make you lose all your inventory when you die as do Phasmophobia and Ghost Exiles. Changes like that, or not having to save-scum so often with that Skyrim mod, can really make a huge difference in your enjoyment of the game. Both could be considered balance issues, but having to go back too far or rebuy all your equipment both have an aspect of punishment to them that isn't fun. I much prefer my games to be challenging rather than punishing.

I think I'd prefer losing equipment on death because it raises the stakes, but to each their own of course.

Because I've made a dozen posts that were, in my mind, related to Solasta, but was never smart enough to make an actual Solasta thread, I'll just put this here.

I rolled a new Cleric and surprisingly got a pretty good roll (on try 392--joking) that gave me some interesting options. I know from my brief playthrough that Charisma can help a lot. The character was a high elf and got a plus 2 to charisma, so I decided to go all in and put my 18 in Charisma to end up with a 20. Talking NPC's into seeing things your way sounds like it could be one of the more important talents your group could have. Her constitution is what took the real hit and was at 16. That's still good by my standards, but at some point I'll probably wish I had all those extra hit points. I'll have a lot of fun persuading people, though.

A 16 for constitution is low for you? With standard point buy rules all of your other attributes would've been 8s and one 9 if you wanted Charisma at 18 and Constitution at 16.

Does Solasta assume you keep rolling until you have high numbers for all attributes? Or are you rolling through each encounter without difficulty?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome fellow geniuses.

I just looked at Humble Choice for the first time in months. Looks like I'm going to be a member until my debit card expires :rolleyes: If anyone wants one of the following, let me know:

Deep Rock Galactic--Already have it and finished with it.
The Ascent--Twin stick in an amazing world. Already have it and am playing it.
Emily is Away >3 I'm ready to get involved in a murder for hire to get rid of Emily after the first two games, so I don't want this one. A horrible depiction of women as incomprehensible and fickle.
Hired Gun--Looks interesting if you like hectic shooters, which I don't
Star Wars Squadrons--I had enough of dog fights in the Air Force. No wait, I was never in the Air Force. I still don't want it, though.
I am Fish--I'll try not to judge you if you want it. Unless you are @WoodenSaucer
Planet Zoo--Don't forget to pick up the DLC so you can have animals in your zoo. What little I've played is actually fun, though.
Ghost Runner--I need to lose about 20 pounds for wall running.
Destroy all Humans--Looks cute, but not for me.
Man of Medan--Been there, done that. Great co-op fun. Has QTE's like a Telltale game.
Just Die Already--Kill old people. That's literally the whole thing.
Project Winter--Multiplayer social deception
Man Eater--Multiplayer, play as the shark
Mordhau--Already have. Go medieval on other players.
House Flipper--Already have. Fun if you like that sort of thing.
Beyond the Wire--WWI multiplayer.

While making this extensive list, I actually found a bunch of stuff I want to play. Now I'm happy I've been too lazy to cancel.

@ZedClampet Theres a few games i would like to pad my game collection are the following still available?

Planet Zoo
Destroy all Humans
Ghost Runner
The Ascent
Emily is Away >3

I think I'd prefer losing equipment on death because it raises the stakes, but to each their own of course.
Well, I didn't really talk about the stakes. The stakes in Ghost Watchers are the rewards. If you don't survive or fail to complete the final objective, which is more involved and risky than in Phasmophobia, then you get absolutely nothing, no XP and no money; whereas in Phasmo you can run around the house for a few seconds on the highest difficulty, make a best guess on the type of ghost and leave with cash and XP even if you got the ghost wrong.
A 16 for constitution is low for you? With standard point buy rules all of your other attributes would've been 8s and one 9 if you wanted Charisma at 18 and Constitution at 16.

Does Solasta assume you keep rolling until you have high numbers for all attributes? Or are you rolling through each encounter without difficulty?
No, I said a 16 was still good, but the way I intend to use her, it would have made sense to put one of the two higher scores (I had an 18, 17, 16) there because I had two bonus points I could use for being a High Elf and could have made it an 18. There was no point to using a bonus point on 16, so I had a plus 3 versus a plus 4. Plus 3 is still great though.

As for the rolls, you can reroll as much as you want, which, as a casual player, I prefer.

Reactions: Pifanjr and mainer
@ZedClampet Theres a few games i would like to pad my game collection are the following still available?

Planet Zoo
Destroy all Humans
Ghost Runner
The Ascent
Emily is Away >3
Yep. I'll send you the keys in a bit.

What's up with the games I play and electric cars? None of them handle well in Forza and in Car Mechanic 22 they are catastrophically worse. Maybe it's their weight that is throwing off the physics engines. @Zloth you have an electric car, right? How often do you flip onto your roof when you go around a turn? 9 out of 10 times?

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
I finally moved on from episode 3 in Death Stranding last night. Took me 40 hours to get there because, well... essentially this:

Episode 4 took about 30 minutes. Now starting episode 5!

The story really is something out of the Twilight Zone.
Maybe it's their weight that is throwing off the physics engines. @Zloth you have an electric car, right? How often do you flip onto your roof when you go around a turn? 9 out of 10 times?
Well, sloths do spend most of their lives hanging upside down... ;)

Actually, electrics are a bit more resistant to roll-overs. The heavy battery is along the bottom of the car, pulling the center of mass down a little lower. Maybe the games are only looking at how far apart the wheels are and not taking the lower center of mass into account? Or maybe you're just accelerating faster than you expect, so you're taking the turns faster than you think?

I finally moved on from episode 3 in Death Stranding last night. Took me 40 hours to get there because, well... essentially this:

Episode 4 took about 30 minutes. Now starting episode 5!

The story really is something out of the Twilight Zone.
Well, sloths do spend most of their lives hanging upside down... ;)

Actually, electrics are a bit more resistant to roll-overs. The heavy battery is along the bottom of the car, pulling the center of mass down a little lower. Maybe the games are only looking at how far apart the wheels are and not taking the lower center of mass into account? Or maybe you're just accelerating faster than you expect, so you're taking the turns faster than you think?
There's no proper speed for a turn in Car Mechanic if you are in an electric car. i don't know what the problem is.

Turning over isn't the problem in Forza. They just oversteer too much, which can definitely be caused by too much throttle, but they do it going into a turn, where throttle shouldn't be an issue, as much as they do going out of a turn, which is where most cars with tons of power get loose. In Forza's case I assume they are handling exactly the way the developers want them to, so I guess I'm probably being too picky. I probably shouldn't expect them to handle as well as a million dollar supercar just because they can go about as fast.

TRENDING THREADS