The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (11 September to 17 September)

I got a month free of Ubisoft+, their Gamepass.

Well… I don't have it, but you guys may want to grab it. I have too much niggly trouble with Ubisoft Connect to have any faith in their systems. Since they need full billing info for this free offer, and it will auto-charge my bank on October 10th if I don't cancel… just too many red flags for me.

I would love to have a month of Far Cry 6, but I can wait.

Well… I don't have it, but you guys may want to grab it. I have too much niggly trouble with Ubisoft Connect to have any faith in their systems. Since they need full billing info for this free offer, and it will auto-charge my bank on October 10th if I don't cancel… just too many red flags for me.

There shouldn't be any red flags. I can vouch for Ubisoft being a well-known company that isn't trying to trick you out of $16. Canceling is easy, as I just canceled our sub last month. Surely you can remember to cancel. Worst case scenario is you somehow manage to forget and get charged $16 for a month, which wouldn't even feed two people at McDonald's.

OT: My Sunday To-Do List

Get Guido to vacuum the pool
Get Guido to mow the yard
Get Guido to trim the yard
Ask wife to make sandwiches for lunch
Get Guido to study Chemistry
Ask wife to clean upstairs bathroom
Engage in lively discussion with wife about when I'm going to go to the doctor about my "damn knee".
Get Guido to clean upstairs bathroom
Loudly explain to Guido how to do laundry. Wife heads off to do laundry.
Explain to Guido how to make Chicken 'n Dumplings. Wife goes to the kitchen to fix dinner.

Muse upon how awesome retirement is, and congratulate myself for being an efficient house husband.

Think about all the little-known benefits of knee injuries

After that free month, it's very expensive for only getting Ubisoft games.

Playing TWW3 co-op pirate (The Drowned) Legendary (Guido's idea) game.

I've been playing hyper-conservative because I had a very strong couple of neighbors who don't care for me one bit, but I'm not at war with them. I stationed armies next to them in a show of strength to deter aggression, while a couple of lousy armies went off and claimed some territory. Then a miracle happened and they started fighting each other. One of them, a high elf faction and my neighbor to the east, is weakening to the point that I'm one turn away from declaring war and moving through their territory.

Playing that new Disney Dreamlight game on Game Pass and enjoying it pretty well. Everything is very Disney, from the visuals to the sound. It's a life sim.

Zloth

Community Contributor
After that free month, it's very expensive for only getting Ubisoft games.
Unless you're half way through a game and want to keep playing. For instance, you could get Ubi+ now, play Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, and pay for another month if you're still enjoying it when time runs out. Then cancel. That's a pretty big game to get for just $15!

Disney Dreamlight Valley is a kids game, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Nonstop stuff to do. Endless goals. I think there is building, but I haven't gotten to it yet, but there's definitely base decorating, crafting, gardening, cooking, exploration, resource gathering, etc. It's like a survival game without the surviving. Well, I'm not completely sure that there's no combat, but I don't think there is, and you don't starve if you don't eat. Food is basically for recovering stamina. Also you can gift it to the NPCs or sell it for gold.

Unless you're half way through a game and want to keep playing. For instance, you could get Ubi+ now, play Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, and pay for another month if you're still enjoying it when time runs out. Then cancel. That's a pretty big game to get for just $15!
My problem is that it would take me 6 months to play the last half of the game. :LOL:

Disney Dreamlight Valley is a kids game, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Nonstop stuff to do. Endless goals. I think there is building, but I haven't gotten to it yet, but there's definitely base decorating, crafting, gardening, cooking, exploration, resource gathering, etc. It's like a survival game without the surviving. Well, I'm not completely sure that there's no combat, but I don't think there is, and you don't starve if you don't eat. Food is basically for recovering stamina. Also you can gift it to the NPCs or sell it for gold.
Some kids games are awesome. When I had a Wii U, I bought for my kids the game based on Disney's movie, Planes, and it was a lot of fun.

Yesterday I had a day off and had the opportunity to start a co-op Warhammer 3 campaign with a friend of mine, using family sharing to use another friend's Warhammer 3 game, with me playing Cathay and him playing Archeon.

It went fairly well, though it took some time before I got a handle on the Yin/Yang dynamic, as I didn't realize how many bonuses you get for keeping it balanced. I also managed to get in a war with two big factions at the same time, so I expanded far slower than my friend, who kept interrupting my turns with auto-resolve messages about him defeating yet another army. Though a part of that is also that Cathay seems to do pretty badly in auto-resolve, so I kept needing to wait a bit to recover or retreat to rebuild my army.

I'd read a lot of grumbling about the minor settlement battles, but I actually kinda like them, especially in co-op where you can easily attack from multiple directions by giving the other player control over half of your army. The verticality did make my artillery far more useless than I'm used to though, but considering how easy it is in Warhammer 2 to just camp in a corner while your artillery shoots at the troops inside, that's not really a bad thing.

Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to continue the campaign this week.

Hey, @mainer did you change your username on Steam?
No. But I just noticed today that you're no longer on my friends list. I thought, "wow, Zed doesn't like me anymore". Don't know what happened, but I just sent you a new invite.
FQj1d2E.png

Things you learn while playing Far Cry 5:

6WvM46c.png
They can get big, too.

giant_hog_for_web.max-1200x675.jpg

Warhammer 3 game, with me playing Cathay and him playing Archeon.
I'm excited! Which Cathay faction? In the original campaign, Cathay was in kind of a secure position up in the corner, but now Chaos is up there, too.

I find the settlement battles kind of fun, but I rarely fight armies outside of settlements, and I kind of miss just lining up on opposite sides of a field and going at it.

Played some more of our Legendary campaign. I destroyed the high elves (Nagarythe) that were to my east, using their war with Naggarond to my advantage. Unfortunately, as soon as Nagarythe was eliminated, Naggarond ended it's non-aggression pact with me. I immediately, same turn, moved my armies aggressively in their direction, both in the south and in the north. Their southern cities are completely unprotected, and they don't have enough armies in the North to stop me, either. They are the #1 power, so they have more armies somewhere. I just don't know where they are.

I'm the #7 power, but the difference is that, while they have more armies than I do, I have a couple of armies that they just won't be able to handle, even with the Very Hard/Legendary cheats. These are my armies in the north, and I'm going to walk right up to their armies before I declare war. Naggarond wants to declare war on me, but they won't so long as I'm in proper position to hand them a proper whooping. I actually wanted Naggarond as my allies, but they aren't interested, so it's war time.

I'm actually in a good spot, too, because of Guido, who is completely wiping the High Elf island clean, so I don't have to worry about them coming after me.

Almost forgot, my wife got Rimworld for her birthday.

They can get big, too.

giant_hog_for_web.max-1200x675.jpg

I'm excited! Which Cathay faction? In the original campaign, Cathay was in kind of a secure position up in the corner, but now Chaos is up there, too.

I find the settlement battles kind of fun, but I rarely fight armies outside of settlements, and I kind of miss just lining up on opposite sides of a field and going at it.

Played some more of our Legendary campaign. I destroyed the high elves (Nagarythe) that were to my east, using their war with Naggarond to my advantage. Unfortunately, as soon as Nagarythe was eliminated, Naggarond ended it's non-aggression pact with me. I immediately, same turn, moved my armies aggressively in their direction, both in the south and in the north. Their southern cities are completely unprotected, and they don't have enough armies in the North to stop me, either. They are the #1 power, so they have more armies somewhere. I just don't know where they are.

I'm the #7 power, but the difference is that, while they have more armies than I do, I have a couple of armies that they just won't be able to handle, even with the Very Hard/Legendary cheats. These are my armies in the north, and I'm going to walk right up to their armies before I declare war. Naggarond wants to declare war on me, but they won't so long as I'm in proper position to hand them a proper whooping. I actually wanted Naggarond as my allies, but they aren't interested, so it's war time.

I'm actually in a good spot, too, because of Guido, who is completely wiping the High Elf island clean, so I don't have to worry about them coming after me.

I'm playing as Zhao Ming. We continued the campaign today and I've made alliances with Greasus and another Ogre faction, a defensive alliance with Miao Ying and another Cathay faction and a bunch of non-aggression pacts, so I could relax knowing my borders are fairly secure. I even killed some minor Ogre faction just to sell their settlements to an allied Ogre faction to strengthen the buffer.

I then spend most of my time going after Lokhir when he declared war on me. I killed him just before we stopped playing.

All those alliances did get me dragged into a war with everything on the other side of the Ogres, as well as one against my friend. We'll have to see how this ends.

So far, I'm really enjoying the campaign, though I'm a bit sad that I just autoresolve almost all of the battles. I have a bunch of units and spell I've had for a bunch of turns, but I have never used in combat.

Last edited:
Your wife has a bi?!

Not sure how that got in there. I think I started typing a post about that but changed my mind. The website probably remembered and put it back the next time I got to this thread, then just added the quote part directly after it and I didn't notice.

I fixed it to say birthday now. We haven't actually gotten around to playing it though, so I didn't really have anything more to say about it, which is why I decided not to post it yet.

Almost forgot, my wife got Rimworld for her birthday.

I'm playing as Zhao Ming. We continued the campaign today and I've made alliances with Greasus and another Ogre faction, a defensive alliance with Miao Ying and another Cathay faction and a bunch of non-aggression pacts, so I could relax knowing my borders are fairly secure. I even killed some minor Ogre faction just to sell their settlements to an allied Ogre faction to strengthen the buffer.

I then spend most of my time going after Lokhir when he declared war on me. I killed him just before we stopped playing.

All those alliances did get me dragged into a war with everything on the other side of the Ogres, as well as one against my friend. We'll have to see how this ends.

So far, I'm really enjoying the campaign, though I'm a bit sad that I just autoresolve almost all of the battles. I have a bunch of units and spell I've had for a bunch of turns, but I have never used in combat.
When I played them, there were only two paths the Ogres could take into my territory and no one but other Cathay factions on my right. Was pretty easy to defend.

My Drowned campaign really got interesting last night. The people I was going to declare war on declared war on Guido, which dragged me into it. But going to war with Naggarond that way could have been good since their allies didn't automatically go to war with me, but over the next few turns they all declared war on me anyway.

I get the impression The Drowned aren't particularly liked by most factions :ROFLMAO: I've never had this many problems trying to get alliances before.

I think I'm going to start a solo campaign with them so I can fight more battles because their units seem to be pretty good. I haven't fought a battle since I unlocked tier 5.

The campaign start was pretty easy. No one really declared war on me for quite awhile, but no one liked me either, so it was a little disturbing having so many factions around me in the red.

@DXCHASE Happy to hear will take a look at the series later. I'm thinking of playing Cyberpunk 2077 after the upcoming expansion.

I'm using the Ubisoft+ 1-month trial for testing out Assasin Creed: Valhalla and other than that some more PUBG. My nephew bought Dayz, so I'll be showing him the ropes soon. He was a bit disappointed you can't see friends in something like an invite list (like you can in Rust) but there are mods for it though. Personally, I think it is part of the charm of having to know where your friends are at all times, which makes exploration and combat a bit more challenging.

@DXCHASE Happy to hear will take a look at the series later. I'm thinking of playing Cyberpunk 2077 after the upcoming expansion.

I'm using the Ubisoft+ 1-month trial for testing out Assasin Creed: Valhalla and other than that some more PUBG. My nephew bought Dayz, so I'll be showing him the ropes soon. He was a bit disappointed you can't see friends in something like an invite list (like you can in Rust) but there are mods for it though. Personally, I think it is part of the charm of having to know where your friends are at all times, which makes exploration and combat a bit more challenging.
I only played DayZ once, and it was ages ago. A friend of mine got it, so I bought it too, and we went into the game and had no idea where the other one was. I just started running north, got about 10 meters, and the game told me I was hungry. I came across a couple of houses, and the only thing in either one of them was a single can of food that I couldn't open. I think it may have been peaches.

Found another cluster of houses and there was absolutely nothing in any of them. All the while the game kept telling me I was hungry, and I got more and more irritated about there being no loot. Plus, the constant hungry message was really annoying.

I didn't have a weapon or anything and a zombie started chasing me, and I couldn't get away from it, so I decided to punch him, which led to my death.

So I respawned somewhere else without my can of peaches, and the game immediately told me I was hungry. I apologized to my friend, told him the game just wasn't for me and quit. :p I made it up to him and bought him 7 Days to Die, which we both enjoyed.

If there had been anything at all in the buildings I searched in DayZ, or if it had respawned me with a full stomach, I probably would have played the heck out of it.

@ZedClampet It is hard at the beginning. The coast has little to no loot if you do not know where to look. Car Trunks for example is a place few look in, so it makes surviving at the coast a little better, but that is the knowledge you won't have as a fresh player. Running straight north for some time would eventually have led you to smaller populated places with more loot. The majority of people at the coast mostly camp in cities and shoot bambies after they have been at military camps for loot. Some are cannibals and will imprison you while they torture you for a while and then eat you. Dayz can be a little dark at times.

Have had a lot of fun with 7 Days to Die. It is a pretty chill game during the day and scary at times at night. Sometimes I would be sneaking inside a building and military zombies suddenly appear from closets and start hitting me. Those can really hurt and suddenly you'll have countless others if you shoot and then all hell is loose!

TRENDING THREADS