The currently playing and random game thoughts thread (Jan 9 to Jan 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy birthday edition! Yesterday was my son's birthday and today is mine. I've convinced him to switch ages with me, so I'm 17 today!

Been mostly playing Total War Saga: Troy, but I have a real love/hate relationship with it. Features that I originally loved have started to wear thin. I'm tired of having to desperately grab distant settlements for their resources. It creates a fractured empire that is near impossible to defend. Also, whoever came up with the idea that there was only so much gold during a single playthrough should be aggressively paddled. Gold is an endgame commodity and it runs out by turn 50. The only way you can get any significant amount after that point is through raiding. Also, the fact that you can't have generals guarding a specific region really turns me off. If you try to do that, the game gives the general the lazy debuff. That's in Warhammer 2, as well, but they are more aggressive with it in Troy.

And I suppose I'll be playing God of War this week. They are hyping up their PC port and all the things they've added/changed, so I have high hopes for it. Will wait for user reviews, though, since professional reviews tend to ignore performance and bugs.

@ZedClampet -whether 17 or 56, Happy Birthday!
ZTE199g.jpg

@Zloth - I couldn't quote your post from last weeks thread about Elex because it's closed, but in regards to the mod that removes fog, I didn't use it. Since it's my 2nd playthrough, I really looked hard at the mods available, including the fog removal and several overhaul mods, but nothing really jumped out at me. I'd love a blend of fog & no fog for variety, like a weather mod, but I didn't see any, so I stuck with the original fog.

I really wanted a mod that could either scale down the UI, or give me a programable hotkey to turn it on or off for screenshots. I know I can go into the options menu to do it, but it's a huge pain to go back and forth like that. Just give me a hotkey, or better yet, a photo mode mod.

Happy birthdays Zed and Zethro Clampet! (I know Jethro was the cousin but it still works)

Haven't really been playing anything regularly, what with Christmas and New Years and the continuing global health crisis trapping me indoors in tropical weather with two children under five who desire my madness or death. I did finally start a new Satisfactory build last night in the fourth area as suggested by @ZedClampet but couldn't be arsed doing any modding so I'm putting up with the wildlife for now. You were absolutely right about the starting resources, they seem closer than any other area I've started in. And for all the scarcity of water touted in the description there appears to be a waterfall a few hundred meters from the spawn point, another point to Zed.

Hopefully I can stick with it and start providing pictures of horrible spaghetti factories soon.

Happy birthdays Zed and Zethro Clampet! (I know Jethro was the cousin but it still works)

Haven't really been playing anything regularly, what with Christmas and New Years and the continuing global health crisis trapping me indoors in tropical weather with two children under five who desire my madness or death. I did finally start a new Satisfactory build last night in the fourth area as suggested by @ZedClampet but couldn't be arsed doing any modding so I'm putting up with the wildlife for now. You were absolutely right about the starting resources, they seem closer than any other area I've started in. And for all the scarcity of water touted in the description there appears to be a waterfall a few hundred meters from the spawn point, another point to Zed.

Hopefully I can stick with it and start providing pictures of horrible spaghetti factories soon.

I should have mentioned this when I talked about it before, but the resources can be a little hard to find there because the dunes block your vision. If you search online for Satisfactory interactive map, you can see where all the resources are. There are plenty of each quality type, but for "pure" and "normal" nodes there are

4 pure limestone (plus 8 normal)
10 pure iron (plus 12 normal)
3 pure copper (plus 8 normal)
3 pure coal (plus 10 normal)
1 or 2 pure sulfur
0 pure quartz, but 2 normal quartz
2 pure caterium (plus one normal)

Of course, there are also impure nodes if you need some more :)

As far as the water goes, don't try to use the water at the waterfall. There's an oasis in the desert in the east that has water deep enough for pumps. You could probably put 20 or more in there. But there is lots of vegetation at the waterfall (and also at the oasis). You really need that 300 inventory slots mod. Then you can take your chainsaw and go fill up and never have to go back before you get coal power.

Last edited:
There's no way my work ethic will outlast all these resources.
BTW, the first thing I do is get as much concrete going as possible and then when I get base building unlocked, I pick a high dune and start building a huge factory floor. I never used to build my factories on foundations, but once you try it, you'll never go back to just building on the ground.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Mazer
BTW, the first thing I do is get as much concrete going as possible and then when I get base building unlocked, I pick a high dune and start building a huge factory floor. I never used to build my factories on foundations, but once you try it, you'll never go back to just building on the ground.

I do all my proper production lines on foundations which I then encase as I add floors above for successive products, and at that point I cringe whenever I look at The Hub and my equipment workbench sitting directly on the ground at a weird angle. I only build basic production lines on the ground to get through the first tier or two, just love right angles too much.

I do all my proper production lines on foundations which I then encase as I add floors above for successive products, and at that point I cringe whenever I look at The Hub and my equipment workbench sitting directly on the ground at a weird angle. I only build basic production lines on the ground to get through the first tier or two, just love right angles too much.

haha well, I'm not part of the right angles crew, but I do like them neat and organized. I usually build towers of conveyor supports around each section of the factory and have things coming and going off of those. In between the two rows of towers is where I run my power lines and drive my factory cart. But in my latest build, I'm just going as big as possible. I want to see how fast I can fill that last space elevator order. My first copper build had 16 smelters.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Mazer
Congratulations to you @ZedClampet and your son!

My wife insisted yesterday that I play a bit of Warhammer 2, since I haven't really had time to sit down and play and our daughter is sleeping over at my parents'. However, by the time I got around to actually start playing it was already 11 PM. I decided to finish up around 12 AM, meaning I did "one more thing" until 1 AM. Then I couldn't get myself to actually go to bed until around 3 AM. I should've just gone to bed and played during the day, as now I couldn't get out of bed until 1 PM and I have to leave to pick my daughter up at 3:30 PM, while technically also getting 4 hours of work done...

The game itself is going well though. I continued my Brittonia Vortex campaign and took two settlements from Settra as well as defeated his main army. My heroes and lords are getting kind of ridiculously strong now, basically killing entire garrisons by themselves while losing maybe half of their life, which they get back within one turn of being garrisoned in the city they just took.

I think for my next campaign I'll up the campaign difficulty. I've been playing on normal/normal so far because I have limited gaming time and energy so I'd rather have a power fantasy than risk getting frustrated, but it's been too easy to snowball this campaign. Though it also helps a lot to only have one front to fight on, as I can afford to have fewer armies and thus invest more money into my cities, which in turn improves my economy and gives me even more money.

I almost forgot, but I also played Tricky Towers with my daughter two days ago, which went surprisingly well. She doesn't really understand how the game works yet, but she did really enjoy winning by just mashing as many bricks on top of each other as possible until enough of them stood upright for long enough to win. She did not like it when I stopped letting her win though. But in the short time we played, she managed to somewhat learn to move the block back to the tower if it accidentally moved away and she could turn the blocks and use the powers sometimes. Not in any meaningful way, but she's picking up on how different buttons have specific meanings.

We also played some Putt-Putt and she's able to navigate a lot of the game by herself using the mouse now, only asking me for help occasionally, whereas before she just told me what to click.

Time to start saving up to buy her her own gaming rig.

No.

It's a daily browser game, go here, give it a shot, and copy/paste your result here—click the SHARE button there to copy. If we get more than me doing it, we can make our own thread. If nobody joins in, then I'll keep it to myself :)
I don't plan to play more than this, but here it is.

Wordle 205 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

No.

It's a daily browser game, go here, give it a shot, and copy/paste your result here—click the SHARE button there to copy. If we get more than me doing it, we can make our own thread. If nobody joins in, then I'll keep it to myself :)

Daily? So it takes them 24 hours to think up a new word? Sounds lazy to me.

The game is almost exactly like the hacking in Fallout games. I'll give it a try in a bit...

I don't plan to play more than this, but here it is.

Wordle 205 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordle 205 4/6

⬛🟨⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I doubt I would've gotten this without my wife, who guessed it after I put in the first three words.

EDIT: By the way, there used to be a very popular Dutch TV show, called Lingo, where two teams of two people would basically play this game against each other for money.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Wordle 205 4/6

⬛🟨⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛🟨🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I doubt I would've gotten this without my wife, who guessed it after I put in the first three words.

EDIT: By the way, there used to be a very popular Dutch TV show, called Lingo, where two teams of two people would basically play this game against each other for money.
We had Lingo in the US, too.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS