The currently playing and random game thoughts thread (Dec 26 to Jan 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year Edition

Playing some Icarus and Breakwaters and Farming Simulator 22.

Having a mod problem, I think, with Satisfactory. When I first start the game, the game runs at about 120 FPS, and you can just watch it drop slowly. After about 5 minutes, I'm getting about 9 FPS. Almost has to be one of the mods self-destructing, but I can't figure out which one because I refuse to destroy my current world by deleting certain mods that I've used extensively.

Meanwhile, I'm kind of getting in the mood for a AAA game, so I might try RDR2 or Death Stranding again. God of War is right around the corner, and I'm kind of excited for that.

Crysis 3

I rooted out 2013's Crysis 3 a couple of days ago. Production values are great—great graphics even by today's standards, great sound and atmosphere, good voice acting. For Crysis fans, you play as Prophet—squad leader in the original—the last of the suit-wearing guys.

The first couple of missions are in dark and dreary settings. I'm not good with dark, as in don't enjoy it—neither my eyes or monitors are sharp enough. So far it was all clear this area, go thru the door at the other side, rinse and repeat.

Neither attractive enough nor interesting enough, so I'm done with it. Won't be playing again, the first halves of Crysis & Warhead will be my annual Crysis fix from now on. I won't be getting the Remastered since it doesn't include Warhead, which is the better of the 2 originals imo.

Dishonored

Never got around to this 2012 game before, just stumbled across it in my alphabetical TBP pile since it was fairly close after Crysis :) After a few hours, unless something blows up later, I'll definitely be replaying this, very probably straight after this run.

You can save or quick save anytime.
The long intro & tutorial are very relevant to the main game, introducing one to the basics.
There are multiple choices re how to approach any mission.
Can play stealth or melee.
Can play non-lethal via takedowns and tranq darts, which apparently will provide some general benefits compared to lethal.

I love the art style, and some top actors are involved in the voice acting. I am an Assassin, but without a Creed… main job will be eliminating targets. There are optional side missions, which of course I'll pursue. It all happens while a plague carried by rats kills many citizens—I don't like this drab dreary stuff, but oh well.

I already met The Outsider, the resident wizard who doles out special 'Powers', similar to perks in other games—but the 'raw materials' like runes, mana and bones must be collected during play. Some are magical, like jumping over chasms or possessing animals to hide or squeeze thru tight spots. Not mad about that, but we'll see.

Weapons seem limited, which suits me fine—not a fan of 100 very similar guns to choose from. Setting is 19th century steampunk, so weapons are sword, crossbow, grenades and pistol—plus various extras like traps and gadgets… a bit of No One Lives Forever, maybe? Apparently there are some blocking moves with the sword, which I hope not to have to learn or do.

Story seems standard dictator v resistance, with save the princess thrown in. Looking forward to how it goes.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yeah, Dishonored 1 is pretty dreary, especially in the main game. It takes the "punk" part of steampunk seriously. The Witches DLC lightens up some, as does Dishonored 2, but it's still a rather depressing place. The games were really good, though! The areas you explore aren't typically very large, but the attention to detail from Arkane makes it easy to spend 20 minutes exploring a three-room apartment.

Crysis 3

Dishonored
I've never played either series. I did try a few minutes of Dishonored once, and it just wasn't my kind of game. The stealth was kind of fun, but I can't imagine myself doing that for 10 hours or however long the game is. Never tried Crysis. It sounds more like something I might enjoy, though. May give it a try before this vacation is over.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Crysis. It sounds more like something I might enjoy
Probably, it was the next game from Crytek after the original Far Cry. Same open world island scenario, same change half-way thru—instead of the Trigen in FC, you get aliens. Graphics were brilliant in 2007, still hold up today.

The nanosuit is the highlight, makes you a badass super soldier with its powers—speed, strength, armor and invisibility. You should be able to get it and Warhead very cheaply on sale.

Probably, it was the next game from Crytek after the original Far Cry. Same open world island scenario, same change half-way thru—instead of the Trigen in FC, you get aliens. Graphics were brilliant in 2007, still hold up today.

The nanosuit is the highlight, makes you a badass super soldier with its powers—speed, strength, armor and invisibility. You should be able to get it and Warhead very cheaply on sale.

Is Warhead Crysis 2? All I see in Steam is the recently released remaster version.

Meanwhile, I planted some olive trees in Farming Simulator 22! Bet you would love that game (just kidding).

Reactions: Pifanjr
Is Warhead Crysis 2
No, it's a stand-alone expansion set during the same campaign as Crysis—at one point, your buddy is called off to other duty; Warhead is the other duty, on the other side of the island.

Note that Warhead is not in the Remaster—very weird omission, as it's a more refined version of the original… I prefer it of the two.

Crysis 2 & 3 are not open world, rather your standard city street cleaner game—they had to be reduced in scope to work on consoles. Graphics are still excellent, but gameplay is console-grade.

remaster version
I think that's of value only to console players—they finally get to play a decent Crysis 1. The original console release 4 years after the PC release apparently left a lot to be desired—'sow's ear' and 'silk purse' I guess :)

All I see in Steam is the recently released remaster
$10 for the original pair currently on GOG:

Crysis 3 on Steam

Crysis 2 on Steam

Both originals $7.50 on Steam

Farming Simulator 22! Bet you would love that game
Heh, no thanks. I got more than enough farming IRL as a kid.

Currently playing Days Gone. Got it for christmas as apart of this "a game every hour" for a couple hours gift my wife was doing for me. She purchased Days Gone, Deathloop and the upcoming expansion (deluxe version) for Destiny 2. She also got me 2 other games but i returned one because i already had it lol.

Days Gone though is great, kinda like Division meets a roadrash/dying light crossover. Its fun! Glad they brought this from Playstation over to PC.

Random thought: Have Deep Silver made a good game in the last 10 years? releasing Sacred 2 on Geforce Now doesn't count either.
Just curious as if I see their name on games I wonder if I should be running away.

I make it easier for you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Deep_Silver_games
Yes, no reason to avoid them. They've published quite a few well regarded games.

Dying Light, Metro Exodus/ Last Light, Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pathfinder: Kingmaker Ive played at least some of and enjoyed.

Random thought: Have Deep Silver made a good game in the last 10 years? releasing Sacred 2 on Geforce Now doesn't count either.
Just curious as if I see their name on games I wonder if I should be running away.

I make it easier for you - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Deep_Silver_games

Made by them? Not really. Nothing stands out. Maybe that Stadia game Chorus would be decent if they put it somewhere other than Stadia.

Published by them? Definitely some good games in that list.

Crap. I accidentally edited my Farming Simulator 22 save file and gave myself an extra $500k. Bad luck, that. Will have to be more careful :)

I got myself in financial trouble because it's the first time I've played it with seasons activated. My only other choice was to start taking odd jobs around the map for other farmers. Yuck. Now I know I have to be more careful with my money when it's going to be several months before I can harvest anything. In the older games, you could harvest crops every day.

Actually, I could have downloaded the Farming Subsidy mod. Didn't think about that. Well, now I'm off to check what mods have been uploaded so far. For 19 I had over 800 mods going. Down the rabbit hole we go...

Brian i am curious about you digging out the crysis games , i have them all on disc and when i tried to put them on a new pc i got a message saying email address and/or game id code already in use. I got them from a game shop that was shutting the games were pre owned and the id codes were hand written , i could not go back as the shop shut that night for good.

Obviously the codes did not work so i photographed everything i had and the makers issued me with new valid codes. Now fast forward to my new pc where i said email and or codes already used , i contacted the makers again and they even had records of me being given new codes.

This time however their attitude was different , unless i could email a sales receipt they were unwilling to help.
Do you have any receipts from 14 years ago ??

Barring the usual playing of Warband, Killing Floor 2, and the regularly scheduled drunken SCVI sessions i do every Friday, I've actually been going through the games I got as gifts for once. Beat Vomitoreum the other day and currently bouncing between Okami and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. In the case of Lego Star Wars, getting enough studs to be a True Jedi is actually tough as nails.

Brian i am curious about you digging out the crysis games , i have them all on disc and when i tried to put them on a new pc i got a message saying email address and/or game id code already in use. I got them from a game shop that was shutting the games were pre owned and the id codes were hand written , i could not go back as the shop shut that night for good.

Obviously the codes did not work so i photographed everything i had and the makers issued me with new valid codes. Now fast forward to my new pc where i said email and or codes already used , i contacted the makers again and they even had records of me being given new codes.

This time however their attitude was different , unless i could email a sales receipt they were unwilling to help.
Do you have any receipts from 14 years ago ??

Time for you to go digital and not have to worry about game codes anymore. Crysis is only $4.99 on GoG right now, and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS