Steam Guard regular false positive

About twice a month I get the SG warning:
"We see you're logging in to Steam from a new browser or a new computer. Or maybe it's just been a while..."

It's safe to say I visit Steam every week, it's been the same PC for 5 years, and same Opera GX browser for ~2 years. No biggie, but a bit annoying—open email, get the security code, type it in, tick yet again on "Remember this device", and all's well.

Any of you experience this? If yes, what browser?

i only use the app and it often forgets my password, but i don't need to confirm its me each time.
I would need to remember username & password to log onto a browser. Only use it to see if any updates. I don't buy games...

could be an update to GX clears them as well.

Yes, it happens to me on Chrome and Edge. My best guess is that since browsers are considered a higher security risk than using their app that they want you to reverify frequently. There are a variety of reasons for this. For one thing, most people are on public networks for most or part of each day, and that makes them easy targets.

Just curious, why would you not just use the app?

For me, I use it sometimes when I want to be able to open more than one Steam page at a time in browser tabs, like when I do my demo post. Or sometimes I search for a game in Google. But most of the time I don't log in when I do that. Usually when I log in is when I'm wanting a web address for something.

For me, I use it sometimes when I want to be able to open more than one Steam page at a time in browser tabs, like when I do my demo post. Or sometimes I search for a game in Google. But most of the time I don't log in when I do that. Usually when I log in is when I'm wanting a web address for something.

Makes sense I guess, dont often have a need to see more than one page at a time, I'll occasionally follow a link to a Steam page in the browser but I dont log in then either.

Also have the Steam app installed on my phone and tablet as well, if I'm away from home around sale times or something can still pick stuff up.

could be an update to GX clears them as well.
Then it should clear others too, I assume—eg I never have to login here or Amazon or… I'm fairly sure it's a Steam thing rather than a browser thing, and replies here so far bolster that. I like Zed's hypothesis:
My best guess is that since browsers are considered a higher security risk than using their app that they want you to reverify frequently

why would you not just use the app
Most of my Steam visits are from links, eg the 'Wishlist on sale' emails or forum links, which open in a browser.

Other than that, it's almost always easier to use a browser—apart from Steam Guard false positives :D—since I rarely need the non-browser extras in the app.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wait, somebody actually uses Opera?? ;)

I don't have any trouble with the desktop app forgetting passwords or anything else. Sometimes, if I blue screen, it will forget some settings and I'll have to re-do them, but that's maybe once a year.

I almost never log in via a browser. I look at stuff from time to time, but never anything that needs logging in. If I'm posting about a Steam sale, it's often best not to be logged in so I can see what the proper price is for a bundle.

somebody actually uses Opera
Rarely this year, and I'm probably going to drop it entirely now that Edge has recently become so good. But Opera is very good, if it suits.

Browser I mentioned is the gaming-oriented version Opera GX. It has a lot of game-related stuff built-in, which should be great for people who spend a lot of time in the gaming ecosystem.

it's often best not to be logged in
Yeah, whenever I need that I use a different browser, or log out—but it's rare.

Opera is good for its built-in free VPN
Interesting, I found it one of the worst VPNs I tested.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Are there other completely free browser VPNs out there that are better?
Not that I'm aware of. The others I tested were all paid, because let's just say the press that free VPNs get is less than enthusiastic. But even the paid ones were only mediocre, so I eventually dropped the whole VPN idea.

Only reason I tried the Opera VPN is cos it got added to my main browser of the time.

I have no idea why people use VPN's anyway. The one answer I usually get, security, isn't even accurate. You are no more safe surfing with a VPN than without one unless you think someone is trying to track your physical location. If you want to be safe online, use a sandbox.
It's usually because they are doing something they're not supposed to do, and they don't want to be caught.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I have no idea why people use VPN's anyway. The one answer I usually get, security, isn't even accurate. You are no more safe surfing with a VPN than without one unless you think someone is trying to track your physical location. If you want to be safe online, use a sandbox.

When using a VPN all your internet traffic is encrypted, which can be useful when you often use public access points and you want to make sure you're not accidentally revealing information to anyone listening in on the connection.

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
When using a VPN all your internet traffic is encrypted, which can be useful when you often use public access points and you want to make sure you're not accidentally revealing information to anyone listening in on the connection.

Doesn't matter if sites are built properly using HTTPS. I mean, there could be small benefits to using a VPN on a public network in specific cases, but not as far as security is concerned, at least not what we normally think of as security

Last edited:
Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS