Steam Requiring Email Confirmation for every single item I list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2021
Visit site
After listing like 4 or 5 cards, steam keeps asking me for email confirmation, for every item I sell since then, it is really annoying. Then I click on the confirmation link on browser, it says logged in from device not protected by steam guard for at least 7 days, bam, my market listing is held for at least 7 days.... I'm stuck at an impasse. I don't use steam through browser and never will, if only I can open email confirmation link via Windows Steam client, windows steam client is my go-to.

Their security flag is way too sensitive, I'm literally selling at the average price... I read the comments online, they say email confirmation wud be triggered when I list my items too expensive or sell too much items. How many items exactly listed are considered too much? How much is considered expensive? They are never disclosed... I understand they did it as a security measure, the intention is good, the implementation however is terrible, there should be an option to opt out of it, explicitly saying if one chooses to opt out of steam protection program, shall issues arise, steam is not responsible and whatnot. At this rate, while they get to protect users from potential danger, they put unnecessary hassle onto false positives users like me.

I don't feel like asking the steam community or steam support, coz they impression they gave me is that at the end of the day, the problem is always on me, it is always my fault. Now, have you guys ever come across such issue? If so what do you do? You just confirm one by one, wait for the market listing held to expire as you are told? yeah, I can probably solve that by enabling mobile authenticator, no way am I giving away phone number, most VOIP/ burner numbers won't work and I am lazy to try one.. What's worse than using mobile authenticator is that another trap awaits me, I gotta wait 15 days b4 I can list my items starting from the moment I activate mobile authenticator... out of the frying pan into fire into volcano, trap inception:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
Haven't really had this problem since I'm using the mobile thing.
It doesn't need your number, it's an app you install on your phone, then login to your steam account.
It's a bit like installing steam on a 2nd pc, except it's your phone so you can't play games there but you can chat.

I hate how most websites that i have to log into (even if i log into them and say "remember me" or "remember this device") with my steam account i ALWAYS HAVE TO PUT IN 2FA. It gets annoying, esp. on 1 particular site that i log into almost daily. Ive actually logged in on that site, put "remember this device", closed the browser and reopened the site just to have to put my steams 2FA in again.

Reactions: Brian Boru

Zloth

Community Contributor
I don't feel like asking the steam community or steam support, coz they impression they gave me is that at the end of the day, the problem is always on me, it is always my fault.
It's mostly hackers' fault. They get ahold of a Steam account then "sell" everything on the account that can be sold for as cheap as they can to an account they control. That happened often enough that Steam had to put something in to try and make it more difficult - hence Steam Guard. Having a 7 day block works well, too. You've got the choice to use one or the other.

Choosing neither and risking it isn't an option. If people were allowed that, the hackers would keep hacking everyone's accounts just on the chance they will have be using the "risk" option.

Dec 22, 2021
Visit site
It's mostly hackers' fault. They get ahold of a Steam account then "sell" everything on the account that can be sold for as cheap as they can to an account they control. That happened often enough that Steam had to put something in to try and make it more difficult - hence Steam Guard. Having a 7 day block works well, too. You've got the choice to use one or the other.

Choosing neither and risking it isn't an option. If people were allowed that, the hackers would keep hacking everyone's accounts just on the chance they will have be using the "risk" option.
Duh, ditto, i know this i pointed this out already, them doing this is their prerogative, i still insist that sacrificing serious users in its entirety is not a good thing. It's akin to closing down tourist site due to terrorist activity.
why should steam be held accountable for user's own negligence? I never intended them to change anything from the beginning, they never would, what i seek is how to avoid market hold right away. I can even cope with confirmation click for every single item but not market hold. Now i know that there's no way to do so other than wait 7 days then i can probably avoid market hold in the future until steam flags me as anomaly again 😉 May be browser cache expire or whatnot, so my device is deemed unprotected by steam guard for at least 7 days, here we go again, i wont be surprised.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/49rvon/steam_guard_confirmation_for_every_single_item_i/

Ive been out of the loop, seems like i aint the first to voice dissatisfaction toward their market hold/ steam guard policy.

I hate how most websites that i have to log into (even if i log into them and say "remember me" or "remember this device") with my steam account i ALWAYS HAVE TO PUT IN 2FA. It gets annoying, esp. on 1 particular site that i log into almost daily. Ive actually logged in on that site, put "remember this device", closed the browser and reopened the site just to have to put my steams 2FA in again.
Well, better than none. At this rate, I had to wait 7 days at least no matter what. i had to resort to signing in to browser for at least 7 days, w/o clearing cache. I had hoped after several hours, the additional confirmation flag would simmer down, negative
Haven't really had this problem since I'm using the mobile thing.
It doesn't need your number, it's an app you install on your phone, then login to your steam account.
It's a bit like installing steam on a 2nd pc, except it's your phone so you can't play games there but you can chat.
I have this already before posting this thread. Negative, i tried selling items thru app, still the confirmation still comes in the form of email instead of in-app's confirmation. May be if i enable mobile authenticator, then the confirmation might come in the form as mobile app request, as aforementioned this requires mobile number, so no

While enabling mobile authenticator can solve the market hold issue, I doubt it will ever put steam requiring confirmation for listing item to a stop
------------
Thank you all for your feedback, appreciate them

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 22, 2021
Visit site
Just curious, why not?

That might be why you're having extra problems. I've done very little trading, but always used browser to do it—I use Steam site much more than Steam client. No problems with my trading.
It's my habit of using incognito mode for everything. So 7 days steam guard protection wont work unless i never close browser

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
Steam isnt our friend..

I bought stuff on STEAM.... yet for some reason it refuses to even let me comment on the games in their comments sections.

Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
I rarely post there, but have never had a problem with it in well over a decade.

It may be related to the incognito mode you say you use all the time, you probably need to be logged in to post.

If that's not it, do you get an error message when you try to post?
Even when I have turned all the "hide me"options, the STEAM website and programs refuses to let me add a review, or a comment on something i have purchased. Each time i attempt it gives me crap about "only those who have purchased the game through STEAM or purchased anything on steam in general may leave comments, etc" Then i go see my account and it admits i bought those games..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS