Sports general discussion thread

Page 14 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
May 13, 2024
Visit site
You got to wonder why you go somewhere that the NFL considers so dangerous that you can't let your players leave the hotel.

And then there were the field conditions last night with players slipping left and right. I know zilch about soccer and what the req's are for fields, but apparently the stadium being primarily a soccer field is different and slipperier than an NFL field? I also wonder being a different region if the soil composition comes into play? Either way, it apparently wasn't optimal for American football, and I wonder if that score being as close as it was may have been far different on an NFL field, and if maybe one of the teams would have ran away with the win instead.

I'm really starting to dislike these international NFL games. Or should I say, IFL?

Absolutely! I played the "big 3" in the U.S. growing up, and I thought sports like bowling were inferior, having never tried them. Then one day I ditched school I think my junior year in H.S. and went bowling for the first time. Damn was I wrong! It was loads of fun! I've only played as a rec/social activity over the years, but haven't gone since before covid.

Congrats on the league win! That sounds like a lot of fun! Glad to see couples doing activities together!

Thanks! Theres a good social aspect side playing on a league, getting to know a bunch of new people and then showing off your skills lol. 50-50 raffles, mystery scores (a random number is drawn and if you bowled that number in any of the games, you get prize money), and drink specials specific to league bowlers. So its a good time for the money even if i didnt know anyone there outside my team yesterday, thatll probably change by the end which is a ways off.

Brian Boru

King of Munster

Brian Boru

King of Munster
NzWvtmM.png

Louis Rees-Zammit, the former rugby player trying to make the NFL, was cut by the Kansas City Chiefs, but was then picked up by the Jacksonville Jaguars and placed on their practice squad. Jacksonville has been rumored for awhile to be moving to London, and some fans are speculating that's the only reason they picked up Zammit.

“I don’t listen to that kind of stuff. I know what I’ve got to do to be successful and they can write all they want.

“I’m working really hard on this dream and I’ve got to try and do as much as I can every day to be a better football player and a better person.”

The practice squad generally consists of developmental players. They practice with the team, but cannot play in games.

Also, the prospect of Jacksonville moving to London is pretty interesting. Apparently the UK fans are getting more and more knowledgeable about football. When the NFL first played there, the fans went crazy every time someone punted to the other team :ROFLMAO: But now they seem to have a much better grasp of the game.

Frankly, though, Canada would have seemed like a more natural choice for the first international team. They already have the Canadian Football League, which apparently does very well. On the other hand, that may also be the reason the NFL has never put a team there.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I can't watch the Tennessee football game. I'm too embarrassed. We're winning 65 to nothing at half. Stop, please. They agreed to play us for $600,000.00, not get stomped to death. We aren't impressing anyone. Everyone knows they are one of the worst teams in college football. We're just looking like bullies. If we score more than an accidental touchdown in the second half, I'm going to be very disappointed in the staff.

edit: I don't feel bad now. We tried to end the game by agreement at half, and they refused. Also, I was way off in what we paid. We paid them $1.5 million. That's beat to within an inch of life money.

Last edited:
Huh? What's that about, isn't there a fixture list for the season?

Tennessee has 8 teams that are automatically on the schedule every year. These are other Southeastern Conference teams like Alabama, Florida and Georgia. To fill out the rest of the schedule, we have to go out and find other schools willing to play us. So generally teams schedule smaller schools and use them sort of like scrimmages. In turn, they pay the smaller school quite a bit of money, which helps them run their athletic department. The bigger program still makes money off of these games from ticket and concession sales (the games are always a home game for the big program) and from television. So it's a good deal for everyone, except maybe for that 180 pound linebacker from the smaller school who got flattened by the 350 pound offensive lineman all day. But even he gets to brag that he played against this big school that had a bunch of future NFL players on it.

Reactions: Brian Boru
According to AI--because Google kept giving me crap--the average Premier League game and the average NFL Sunday afternoon game both average about 12.5 million viewers (to be fair about it, most Sunday afternoon NFL games are only showed regionally and the national evening games do much better), and the Vols Saturday afternoon game drew 14.7 million viewers. Not too shabby.

We beat Alabama 24 - 17, but we are 6 - 1 and not likely to make the playoffs. We still have a small chance, but we'd have to win the rest of our games, and we won't beat Georgia in Georgia. I should get a "we'll make it next year" tattoo because "this year" is always just out of reach.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts