Sports general discussion thread

Page 12 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Brian Boru

King of Munster
2 more iconic images from the Olympics:

Biles & Chiles bow to Andrade
otKhZsd.png

100m Men's Final—first ever 100m with all 8 under 10 secs
bzQGero.png

Reactions: ZedClampet

Brian Boru

King of Munster
Remarkable stat:

"Whether in World Cups, European Championships, the Champions League or the Uefa Cup/Europa League, in the past 27 men's finals involving Spanish teams, all 27 resulted in wins for Spain."

I don't think she has much competition in the "sport" in Australia.
Her moves should have been laughed out of rehearsal, not displayed to world and making us look stupid again.

She did no known moves during the competition and one of the scoring categories was how well you did some known ones... its not interpretive dance.

Australia supposedly has different rules, but they should have at least trained for the ones used in the Olympics.
Some nations actually take it seriously. I assume anyway. I don't know as last time I heard of it was 1985. I thought it was dead. Never thought I see it in the games as an event... Did France win as why else would that have it in as a One off.

Football isn't a sport. It's a category. You have American football, club football, Australian rules football...

Breaking. People are mad Los Angeles won't include break dancing, particularly mentioned is that it started in New York. Honestly, if ballroom dancing is in the Olympics, I don't see why breaking isn't. The next summer Olympics after that will be in Australia, which will have the option to bring it back. I suspect they will.

Next Olympics will have flag football. I understand why they can't have tackle football, but it just isn't the same. I might still watch it. There's just no way you could play more than 3 tackle football games in two weeks. Much of the competition would have to be during the months leading up to the Olympics, and then they could have the final 8 teams compete during the Olympics. There's no way NFL teams would allow their athletes to compete, and I doubt major colleges would, either. It would have to be people who finished college but weren't good enough for the NFL.

Australian rules football isn't a sport... given not many Australians here I can get away with saying that. :D

If we were sane, I would expect Australia doesn't want to remind people of our performance there... but you probably right as not many sane people here. She might be too old to repeat it anyway.

2032 is meant to be cricket. I don't know how many teams are involved but would have to be One day games to fit them all into 2 weeks. Also finding all the ovals would be fun. Guess could reduce over count down to say 30, might make games more interesting...

Its been claimed her husband was the Head Coach for the women's team and also part of the selection committee. She started up the governing body for Breakdancing in Australia, and then unfairly treated the people who were her competition and harmed the chances of other competitors just to win her place on team and get a free holiday. Now she annoyed Break dancing won't be in next games, I guess if she wants a Holiday in LA she has to pay like the rest of us.

Some people want an investigation. We had the best Gold medal tally ever and this is what the world is talking about.

Reactions: Frindis

Brian Boru

King of Munster
2032 is meant to be cricket

2028 too if I recall correctly, I saw somewhere LA wants it—T20 format I believe, ie 20 overs per team, which would take 3-4 hours per match. Like the rugby and football this year, will likely need to start before the official opening—and maybe be spread around the country and Territories too since I doubt there are too many ovals in/near LA.

if ballroom dancing is in the Olympics

You're kidding! Looks… Geez, you aren't o_O

flag football … just isn't the same

Yeah, same with the Sevens rugby this year. It's fine if you only want a small subset of the Union game, but strategy and tactics is a huge component which is all but missing from Sevens. Teams were able to play 2 games a day in Sevens—it's got full tackling, but none of the real physical confrontation, and a game is only 14 minutes.

@Colif great MP sketch, never saw that one before :)

2028 too if I recall correctly, I saw somewhere LA wants it—T20 format I believe, ie 20 overs per team, which would take 3-4 hours per match. Like the rugby and football this year, will likely need to start before the official opening—and maybe be spread around the country and Territories too since I doubt there are too many ovals in/near LA.

You're kidding! Looks… Geez, you aren't o_O

Yeah, same with the Sevens rugby this year. It's fine if you only want a small subset of the Union game, but strategy and tactics is a huge component which is all but missing from Sevens. Teams were able to play 2 games a day in Sevens—it's got full tackling, but none of the real physical confrontation, and a game is only 14 minutes.

@Colif great MP sketch, never saw that one before :)
That's interesting. I've never heard of Sevens rugby before, but I wonder if it's the same basic principle (minus the tackling) as 7v7 American football? That's what they should be doing in the Olympics instead of this stupid flag football. 7v7 still has no tackling but is much closer to real football than flag football, which should only be played during recess.

Brian Boru

King of Munster
Sevens? So Wales won't be amused they can't have own team. Kiwi vs Aust final?

What is he talking about?

JVq2rAC.png

F for Final, and F for France v Fiji.

Order of that table seems off

It changes considerably every Olympics, which is why it's interesting—unlike the official one where copy-paste will take care of most of it from one Olympics to the next… just move the host nation up a few slots and you're 90% set.

What is he talking about?

JVq2rAC.png

F for Final, and F for France v Fiji.

It changes considerably every Olympics, which is why it's interesting—unlike the official one where copy-paste will take care of most of it from one Olympics to the next… just move the host nation up a few slots and you're 90% set.
Makes sense. A country with 1 million people beats a county with 1.001 million if they both have one gold medalist.

There should be a minimum number of gold medals required. I know, it's just an FYI list, but still.

Reactions: Zloth
Makes sense. A country with 1 million people beats a county with 1.001 million if they both have one gold medalis

ZzwOj9j.png

There goes the gold medal for the next 10 Olympics! [if it's in Olympics]

BMX prodigy, four, comes third in under-16 contest
Unlike the flat tricks he does well at, the Olympic BMX is probably going to require a level of strength he's not going to have for awhile. Would be fun to track him, but probably the next time he'll be in the spotlight would be at age 16. There was a 5 year old in that competition too. Didn't know they started them that early. Of course, my kids played soccer and basketball at 5. They were not prodigies, though my daughter did win MVP at a regional soccer tournament in Atlanta when she was 12 after scoring over 20 goals across the tournament including 6 in the championship game. Then she immediately quit soccer and never played it again. :ROFLMAO: She had some problems during her middle school years. Was always a good kid, though.

Reactions: Brian Boru
There goes the gold medal for the next 10 Olympics! [if it's in Olympics]

He might be too young to compete for a while.
To be eligible to take part in the Paris 2024 BMX freestyle competitions riders must be born on or before 31 December 2009 (at least 15 years or reaching this age in 2024).

So he can compete in whatever happens after the Brisbane games in 2032. Maybe...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts