Soundtrack Recommendations Please

Mknott

Staff member
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Final Fantasy XIV, like almost all of it. It's an absolute treasure and Soken is a hard working genius who keeps putting out absolute bangers that aren't just great songs but insanely thematic to what's happening. Every Trial boss has their own full throated song and it's unbelievable to me how they kept the quality and variation up for so long. For your journeys there's a lot of non-verbal high quality stuff in there too that's relaxing or inspiring depending on what you need.

The whole soundtrack is on streaming services, it's near endless and has a tune for absolutely everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC_Denton and Round

Zloth

Community Contributor
The games often make the music great, and vice versa. A few of the right bars from Final Fantasy 7 and I get misty eyed but, until the remake shows up, it's not going to sound very good to people who haven't played the game.

The Witcher games have great soundtracks, as do the Elder Scrolls games.

Subnautica's soundtrack is a good one, too.

When I was a teen I used to record soundtracks from games to cassette (my computer was hooked up to my stereo), but for some reason in my late twenties I stopped listening to game soundtracks on their own for the most part. The only one I still listen to on occasion is the 1997(?) Outlaws spaghetti western soundtrack. The game engine hasn't aged well, but I still love the music. Not sure where you'd find it now, though, unless GOG offers it separately; I ripped them to MP3's from the CD-ROMs years ago.

Anyway, it's nothing like most of the soundtracks mentioned above, so YMMV.

I looked into GoG, and while that game is on sale right now on 65%: Outlaws + Missions,
It does not offer the soundtrack separately and neither does STEAM (also on 65%).

Well that sucks, though according to a brief search, the soundtrack is included w/ the game in a Music folder, but in .ogg format (so they'd probably need to be converted for most purposes.) I would confirm it if I were at home (like most things I own[ed] on CD-ROM, I also have the GOG version.) In which case $2.09 is a good deal even for the soundtrack.

Reactions: Frindis
Well that sucks, though according to a brief search, the soundtrack is included w/ the game in a Music folder, but in .ogg format (so they'd probably need to be converted for most purposes.) I would confirm it if I were at home (like most things I own[ed] on CD-ROM, I also have the GOG version.) In which case $2.09 is a good deal even for the soundtrack.

Hmm, maybe because you have to convert it is why they do not inform about having the music for it. From what I have seen, usually, you will get the music in its own folder aka 'goodies folder'.

Reactions: Krud
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
My favorite game tracks:

Beyond Good & Evil - Redemption
Gun - The Colt Travels (Main Theme)
Civ 4 - Baba Yetu (Christopher Tin Version)

Child of Light - Bolmus Populi
Enemy Front - This Is Warsaw Calling
Fable - Oakvale Theme
Call of Duty 2 - Reinforcements To The Pointe
Evil Genius - Main Theme
Uncharted - Drake's Fortune: Nate’s Theme
Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty Theme
Most of the WWII Medal of Honor Themes
Secret Weapons Over Normandy - Main Theme
ANNO 1701 - Windmills in Green Fields (reused in ANNO 1404)
Braid - Downstream
Afrika - Main Theme
Final Fantasy X - Zanarkand
KOTOR 2 - Rebuilt Jedi Enclave
Gears of War 2 - Hope Runs Deep

I'm sure there are others, but that is what I can think of for now.

Reactions: JC Denton and Zoid

TRENDING THREADS