Should I upgrade my Ryzen 7 3800x to a Ryzen 7 5800x?

Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone. Trying to get some advice on what I should do. First here is what I have:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming X570- Plus
Memory: 16GB DDR4
Storage: Multi SSD's
Video Card: Zotac GTX 1080
Monitor: Benq EX3501R (3440 x 1440 100HZ Freesync)

I use my computer mainly for my primary work function (email, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and editing/looking at very large PDF's). I also do a fair amount of FPS gaming (FarCry6 etc.). I would like to get consistent 60 FPS gaming with the highest graphics setting on my computer. Can I get there with upgrading the CPU to the latest Ryzen setup (Ryzen 7 5800X)? I am not really inclined to upgrade the video card as prices are so significantly elevated right now... Or should I just sit tight because the 5800x really isn't going to buy me any more gaming FPS?

Thanks everyone! Appreciate it.

Jan 3, 2022
Visit site
Well it's about ~$400 and I could sell my CPU for $200 so we are talking a relatively small cost... but the question is will I really see a performance boost?

COLGeek

Well it's about ~$400 and I could sell my CPU for $200 so we are talking a relatively small cost... but the question is will I really see a performance boost?
You will see an increase in performance. How much (from an actual user experience) will depend on the application/game, but unless you are doing something like benchmarking your IRL experience won't see a huge change.

Reactions: Brian Boru