Best Upgrade from Ryzen 7 2700x

Sep 3, 2023
Visit site
Need some help for my current build as I'm not sure which direction to go.
Current setup
Moba - MSI X570 Pro Carbon Wifi AM4
32gig Corsair Vengeance RAM (4x8)
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x (not optimal for 32gigs ram, only utilizes 16gigs)
GPU - Gigabyte 3060TI (just upgraded from a 1660TI)
1.5TB SSD
PSU - Corsair 750w gold
Now my question is, is it worth upgrading my MOBA, CPU and RAM to DDR5? Obviously this is a full system rebuild at this point. I'm going to continue using my 3060TI as I don't game enough to warrant anything more powerful such as a 3080/3090 or higher end 4k series GPUS and the 3060TI out performs the 4060 in almost everyway. Or is it better to just upgrade my PSU (thinking 850w) and CPU to say a Ryzen 9 5900X or Ryzen 7 5800x/5800x3d? The Ryzen 9 5900x and the Ryzen 7 5800x3d are pretty much the same price on newegg currently. I use my PC for gaming but also just for daily use. I also don't game in 4k. Money really isn't an issue. I'm just worried if I upgrade to another AM4 CPU how much longer is it going to be relevant as the AM5 is the way of the future.

I would get this as its the easiest upgrade that doesn't require buying an entire new MB, Ram & CPU. Lets you actually use the ram you have now.

Future will happen anyway, I think its better to let AM5 develop more and let them sort out the memory controller so it can actually use DDR5 ram at full speed. Right now Intel have a memory bandwidth advantage., AMD has a cap lower than certain memory speeds can actually deliver now. (this is mentioned in this video)

My Current PC Is:
CPU 3600XT
Gigabyte X570 Elite Wifi
32gb Corsair Vengeance (2 x 16gb)
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT
1tb Samsung Nvme
Corsair 1k Gold

I am going to do the same upgrade as I suggested you do. Lets me use PC for a while longer and supports GPU better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts