Ship of Heroes

Mar 19, 2022
Visit site
Ship of Heroes is said to be launching around the end of 2022. It's a spiritual successor of City of Heroes/City of Villains. I'm just wondering if PC Gamer is aware of it. I haven't seen anything about it.

Correction: release date was pushed to 2023

Zloth

Community Contributor
Wow, "spiritual successor" is kinda pushing it - there's some outright copying in there. It's got the same classes as the original City of Heroes. I don't see sidekicking, though? That was a really critical part of the game. It would let a group of friends keep playing together even if some people are playing every day, while others are just playing a couple of hours a week!

But yeah, PC Gaming is bigger than PC Gamer can possibly cover. There are LOTS of well deserving games that don't get covered. So, enter the forums! I've made topics myself about X4: Foundations and Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children. I've been a little tempted to make one on City of Heroes, too, as it's still out there in Homcoming form.

P.S. Topic should probably be over in the RPG forum - unless you're one of the developers?

Reactions: Lutfij
Mar 19, 2022
Visit site
Wow, "spiritual successor" is kinda pushing it - there's some outright copying in there. It's got the same classes as the original City of Heroes. I don't see sidekicking, though? That was a really critical part of the game. It would let a group of friends keep playing together even if some people are playing every day, while others are just playing a couple of hours a week!

But yeah, PC Gaming is bigger than PC Gamer can possibly cover. There are LOTS of well deserving games that don't get covered. So, enter the forums! I've made topics myself about X4: Foundations and Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children. I've been a little tempted to make one on City of Heroes, too, as it's still out there in Homcoming form.

P.S. Topic should probably be over in the RPG forum - unless you're one of the developers?

I'm not a developer. I'm just someone who contributed to the kickstarter of SoH & City of Titans (thankfully one of the 2 games is still in development). I agree with you regarding the sidekick/lackey system. Hopefully it's something that they'll eventually implement because I and, I believe many others, hold the opinion that this system is a critical feature that made CoH/V so good.

Reactions: Zloth
Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi... i'm on the dev team for Ship of Heroes and I can ask the leader of the project, Casey, regarding any specifics if you have specific questions.

Casey is a huge fan of the old game -- sidekicking has always been on the roadmap. I just asked if we are expecting it at launch and I will get back to you on that.

In terms of our overall timeline, we are still going strong, had a major Beta with a couple of thousand people in it late last year, and we have another Beta test coming up in a couple of weeks for base-building.

Our archetypes are not the same as COH or Star Wars, but fit in the general pattern for MMOs. Of course, our story and setting are uniquely our own.

We’ll have more announcements soon on the next Beta (which is our 8th), and you can register for our free newsletter on the shipofheroes website and follow the forums there for the latest updates.

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
Additional answers from the group:

We have sidekicking working and it was working in the last couple of Betas so hundreds of people have used it. It is automatic.

And we have a team sizes up to ten players.

Reactions: Zloth

TRENDING THREADS