RX590 Crashing

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

I have just upgraded my PC, specs in the sig.

The New RX590 came with the need for DX12 to run Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2.

Yesterday I activated windows 10 after the change in motherboard and we're crashing again under load.
There were some crashes with BSODs, fault 0x0000000116 but not all crashes leave a minidump file.

Using BlueScreenView, this was traced to the card before, and so I did the usual:
CHKDSK
SFC
Full uninstallation of previous GeForce driver residue with DDU
New AMD driver installation.

This seemed to fix it as SFC found some corrupted Windows files.

I have used Open Hardware Monitor to look at the temperatures on restarting:

CPU 55C
GPU 38C

I have tried the usual fixes again but to no avail; Assetto Corsa gets to the end of a benchmark and the screen goes dead.

I have read about managing the card's voltage but can't see how to do that.

I have read about managing the power leads, but as they were fine the day before Windows activation, and with the last motherboard, I can't see that being the problem. I have checked that they are firmly seated and there are two blue lights on the card.

Does anyone know what else can be done?

Thanks.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

No, this PC goes back a long time and I'm afraid of problems relating to Windows.

I upgraded from Windows 7 so I'm not even sure where the key would be to allow me to install.

Is it pain free to reinstall W10? It would be nice to start up quicker...

I'm with Oussebon. Its always advisable to reinstall Windows when you change motherboard. These days a lot of people are avoiding doing it like you, and for every person who gets away with it there's another who has issues.

It may not be Windows, but its best to rule out any software problems before you start looking at hardware. The easiest way to do that is with a clean install. Back up everything you need to keep first!

Windows key can be found in : Control panel>System and Security>System.

Reactions: WelshAL
The fact that your PC goes back a long time, and that you upgraded 'in-place' from Windows 7 rather than clean installing Windows 10 made it fairly likely there was already a problem with Windows.

Installing a new motherboard and not clean installing Windows means you have old chipset drivers going alongside new ones.

Bottom line is that there's 0 point doing any 'troubleshooting' on a broken Windows installation. Even if you 'fix' the current issue, you'll get hit with another problem, and another, and another...

You download Windows from here:

As for the licence key:
If you bought your PC with Windows 7 on it, it probably has a sticker on the back with the product key.
I don't think Control Panel > System displays your actual licence key, it displays the product ID.
If you can't find your licence key, then you can tie your Windows licence to a Microsoft account. See:

As above, you'll want to back up your data. You could manually find and copy off your data, or 'system image' using something like Macrium Reflect.

An image of the drive is a snapshot of everything on it. You could restore the thing wholesale if you needed, or you can browse it in File Explorer by mounting the image. And copy off what you want.

For vital personal documents you may also want to use cloud storage as a fallback.

Then for the clean install:

The key bit is where you get a choice to do a "custom" install. Select that and delete ALL partitions on your OS drive.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

I have tried installing Win 10 on a separate hdd.

It has crashed to GSOD ever since.

I got a far as installing the latest stable AMD drivers but now it goes green before I get I to Windows.

All GSOD advice is based on getting in to Windows to change settings?

Any ideas?

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, that's what I did.

I have 4 HDDs. 1 has the old Win10, 2 and 3 are just for storage and 4 has the new Win10 installation.

I can boot to the installation USB disc and start the installation again or enter the Repair menu, but the disc will no longer boot to Windows.

I am trying to find GSOD advice on t'internet, but they all deal with occasional GSODs where you can get into windows.

I have tried removing all external peripherals as well, the wifi nubbin for the wireless keyboard, steering wheel USB cable, Bluetooth dongle, everything apart from the Logitech wireless mouse which I will try now.

If that doesn't work, I am going to try formatting the drive again and reinstall.

All the articles online refer to a preview version of Windows, but this installation was listed as Windows 10 Home and dated 09/01/2020.

All this started with Windows 10 activation. Tchuh, oh for the good old days of Windows 7. Never a single problem.

Edit:

Won't boot to safe mode either so reinstalling

Last edited:
And all 3 other HDDs are completely disconnected?

You could also try installing on a different drive for good measure, to rule out the drive itself being the issue. And try the drive in a different Sata port.

If you do a further clean install and it doesn't work, try installing Ubuntu (Linux). The installation process is essentially the same.

If Linux installs properly but will not boot either, then it would look a lot like a hardware issue.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Yep. A fresh installation and the same issue.

Thanks but not sure I'll mess with Linux.

I'll take the gfx card out and see if it clears up with the on board gfx.

What a faff.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
****** me, it's booting.

I reconnected all the drives to see if I could stay the old Win10 and the new installation started instead.

There's lots of flickering of the display.

Currently updating Windows.

Will set a restore point then install gfx driver

There are no onboard graphics. Most of AMD's desktop CPUs don't have them and Intel have recently started releasing versions of their without onboard graphics to cut costs.

Ubuntu is easy, you just make a bootable USB like Windows, install it with a guided process like Windows, and see if it boots. If it doesn't, it's very, very likely to be a hardware issue.

Before that, see if you can boot into Safe Mode for Windows.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
No on board gfx? There's an HD I port on the motherboard...

Edit:

It may just be the monitor. I have it hooked up to the JVC TV in the front room. Having added an old 17" monitor, it's only the TV with a green screen.
But how to update drivers for that? Device manager says it has the best driver available...
I'll lwt W10 update and see tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Monitors; I know, but windows automatically found a driver for the HP monitor I connected.

I've been using the PC on this JVC TV for the last 8 months, and the TV was only bought last January, so it's quite new.
When I go to Device Manager, it says that the best driver is installed, listed as Generic PnP monitor.

As for GSODs, I've downloaded the installation media from here

It doesn't list it as an insiders preview version, and the installation /login was normal barring the requirement to use a PIN rather than a password.

So far, the PC has been stable and updated, left overnight the temps are fine and the monitor hasn't crashed.

If this gfx card was fine using the TV last week, why isn't it fine now? The only difference is Windows, which means it's a driver issue.

Of course, all of this is a tangent, as the whole point of a clean installation was to address the crashing of the gfx under load...

As the HP monitor hasn't GSODs, I'm sure that the hdd is fine, so won't install Linux.

I bough the motherboard bundle from SCAN and they tested the components before dispatch, so that should all be OK. The only variables are the RX590 and Win10.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Very true.

The GSOD is restricted to using the TV, so there's that to look at.

So the 0X0000116 problem still stands.

Blue screen review lists the Gfx driver dlls.

The generic advice is that the card can't recover from having a moment, but I've tried updating everything.

I don't know what to look for next.

I'm running a Heaven benchmark now, but that's only DX11 so I'm not sure how relevant that would be.

Is Futuremark Free any better?

TRENDING THREADS