Reverse Engineering an old RPG?

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
I'm trying to get an old RPG working that I have that my dad worked on when I was a kid. When it starts it tries to connect to an IP that is obviously no longer in service. I've tried changing some of the files and am met with a permission error. I'd appreciate any help getting pointed into the right direction.

-Thanks

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
Can you provide some additional details?

What's the specific game?

What was it designed to run on?

What specific service is it trying to connect with?
Its called Fighting Legends, it was designed to run on windows XP I think or 2000 or ME. It is trying to connect to the Maximum Charisma update service, but they have been closed down for a while.

Welcome to the forum :)

What's the error, exact wording if you can.
It might 'only' be a permission/ownership problem, which might be easily fixable by those who know more than me :)

"Access to C:\Program Files (X86)\Maximum Charisma Studios Inc\Fighting Legends\Worlds.xml was denied."

C:\Program Files (X86)\Maximum Charisma Studios Inc\Fighting Legends\Worlds.xml
Probably moot, but can you confirm that folder/file doesn't exist?

Moby Games suggests this was an online-only game. If that's the case, you're out of luck if the servers have shut down—which they have, the devs went bankrupt 20 years ago.

Your only chance is probably if a community has kept the game alive and runs their own server, but I didn't see anything while searching.

Amazon page.

Reactions: Pifanjr
"Access to C:\Program Files (X86)\Maximum Charisma Studios Inc\Fighting Legends\Worlds.xml was denied."
You could try changing permissions. Go find that file in File Explorer, and right-click on the file. Choose Properties, and click the Security tab. Click the Edit button next to "To change permissions, click Edit." You can change the permissions for the file in there.

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

What's the error, exact wording if you can.
It might 'only' be a permission/ownership problem, which might be easily fixable by those who know more than me :)
Probably moot, but can you confirm that folder/file doesn't exist?

Moby Games suggests this was an online-only game. If that's the case, you're out of luck if the servers have shut down—which they have, the devs went bankrupt 20 years ago.

Your only chance is probably if a community has kept the game alive and runs their own server, but I didn't see anything while searching.

Amazon page.
I already know all this, my dad worked for them before they closed down. I was wondering how I might be able to go about running my own private server for it

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
Please post everything else you already know and have tried.

You're seriously wasting our volunteer time by hiding all this while we go off researching stuff you already know/tried. Revealing little bits in each reply may be fun for you, but I'm done trying to help until I see a comprehensive post of everything else.
Why would I ask if this wasn't the case?

If your dad worked on developing the game, he's probably the one to ask for help on this.
He worked on the inventory system and not the networking.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Online Only. That means what you have is only the front-end to access the game. The game itself existed on some server farm somewhere. Unless you have the server code, you've got no hope in running this game. Even if you do have the code, you're going to need a TON of help getting it set up. As in "hire somebody" help.

TRENDING THREADS