Random Game Thoughts Thread - February 26 - March 04

I'm busy modding my Far Cry 6 game at the moment, and putting a thread together on general FC modding since I found what appears to be a very high-quality mod source.

I had a unique FC experience last play session—got knocked on my rear 3 separate times by spooked horses! Some of 'em looked a bit like this…
86IrNFK.png

…so I can't blame 'em :D

I'm busy modding my Far Cry 6 game at the moment, and putting a thread together on general FC modding since I found what appears to be a very high-quality mod source.

I had a unique FC experience last play session—got knocked on my rear 3 separate times by spooked horses! Some of 'em looked a bit like this…
86IrNFK.png

So you set them on fire and then complain when they knock you down. XD

I'm losing my taste for my Total War Warhammer 3 mod package. It's just too much boost for the AI. Going to have to adjust it.

I don't understand my (grown) children's roleplaying in GTA5. I heard my son tell someone "No hablo English", after which he started speaking in a combination of piglish and German with a Spanish accent and said something about the player accepting a complementary grilled cheese sandwich.

I think they've started an air taxi service where a standard feature is that they both jump out of the plane and parachute to safety while the passenger dies in a fiery crash.

I liked this recent PCG article with David Gaider (former lead writer for all 3 Dragon Age games) talking about remastering Dragon Age Origins:
Dragon Age: Origins deserves remaster with 'extra-realistic slimy nipple textures', says lead writer | PC Gamer

One sentence really stuck out to me, coming from a prominent ex-Bioware writer:

As Gaider says, "I suspect EA would only do it if they thought it would sell like *gold-plated* hotcakes. They've... never really gotten DA, or understood why it sold better than Mass Effect, was my impression."

That exemplifies the state of EA/Bioware, as opposed to the older independent Bioware which created great single player games. Now it's maximize profits or forget it.

Dragon Age Origins is still my favorite DA game, and while I'd love to see a remaster, it probably won't happen, even though ME Legendary sold really well. But EA is apparently considering remakes of both Dead Space 2 & 3 following the success of the Dead Space remake, so maybe there's a slim hope.
It looks like EA is already considering Dead Space 2 and 3 remakes | PC Gamer

Zloth

Community Contributor
As Gaider says, "I suspect EA would only do it if they thought it would sell like *gold-plated* hotcakes. They've... never really gotten DA, or understood why it sold better than Mass Effect, was my impression."
They don't even get, after the hell we gave them for pushing Origin on us, that forcing us to use a launcher that can't deal with achievements is a bad thing. That's not a big companies vs. small companies thing. That's simply a company being dumb. They've been pulling dumb moves for a long time now, too, so this isn't some case of a CEO that isn't very good, it seems more like a case of a whole lot of people that aren't very good at what they do.

Dragon Age 4 will be coming out sometime in the next year or so. I would like to play it and see how things turn out. But it will be coming from EA, which means that I could be playing it just fine when, all of the sudden, they decide to pull another bonehead move and break something that makes it impossible to play. If it's right after release, I'm sure they'll fix it. But, by the time I get to it, I'm afraid they'll decide that the cost of the fix won't immediately be balanced by increased sales, so they'll never do it!

That exemplifies the state of EA/Bioware, as opposed to the older independent Bioware which created great single player games. Now it's maximize profits or forget it.
And the old Electronic Artists! They made great games in the `80's.

I wish more people in the real world had this attitude. It reminds me of when I used to mt bike a lot when I was younger. One of the things that ticked me off the most is when people that got attacked by cougars while riding would hate on them and insist they be killed when being interviewed by local news stations (one of their friends got mauled to death). The thing is, those cats were displaced from their habitat by a recent wildfire, and these idiots were riding near there at night in the dark. The media have zero regard for these animals either, and they seek only to get lots of viewership off blowing the controversy of it out of proportion. All because some selfish bikers lacked the common sense to avoid trails near recent wildfires, especially at night, until the displaced animals had time to relocate and recover.

Anyway, back on topic. I keep wanting to try Atomic Heart, but some of the feedback has not been good.

Last edited:
More phantom doctrine play. So far chapter 2 and the heat is being turned up as the play area has increased. This means bigger area to cover and beholder cells are becoming more aggressive. The key problem having is needing to keep permanent agents in America to save time. Ultimately it means 3 agents are tied up doing nothing and I don't have enough people to rotate them around.

On the plus side, I've finally unlocked body engineering and MKUltra facilities. So I can improve my agents and start interrogating and brainwashing enemy agents.

On the flip side the game mechanics continue to raise eyebrows. On one mission I have to eliminate all opposition. Sounds simple right? Unfortunately the game thinks "opposition" includes local law enforcement. So I spent a good 30 min combing the facility trying to find the last 3 enemies and it turns out to be the local police wandering the streets. A bit silly really.

I liked this recent PCG article with David Gaider (former lead writer for all 3 Dragon Age games) talking about remastering Dragon Age Origins:
Dragon Age: Origins deserves remaster with 'extra-realistic slimy nipple textures', says lead writer | PC Gamer

One sentence really stuck out to me, coming from a prominent ex-Bioware writer:

Dragon Age Origins is still my favorite DA game, and while I'd love to see a remaster, it probably won't happen, even though ME Legendary sold really well. But EA is apparently considering remakes of both Dead Space 2 & 3 following the success of the Dead Space remake, so maybe there's a slim hope.
It looks like EA is already considering Dead Space 2 and 3 remakes | PC Gamer
EA won't get any sympathy from me. They keep buying up my favorite small studios, like Metalhead Software and Mad Mind Studios, and then screwing them up entirely. Well, that's an understatement with Mad Mind, whom they closed after owning them for less than a year.

You all have no idea the suffering I go through. I've been told by the wife that I can no longer play Alarielle the Everqueen in TWW3 just because I roleplay as Glenda the Good Witch from The Wizard of Oz.

She also doesn't like my mating calls in theHunter: Call of the Wild.

May 11, 2022
Visit site
Heroes of Might and Magic 5 on hard is no friggin joke. The inferno campaign is crushing my nuts right now and it's the second one in the list :oops:

I did HOMM3 on hard a few years ago and it was pretty enjoyable but right now it feels crazy like if you take one suboptimal decision during a turn you are done and the AI will just show up with sky high stacks and run you over.

I think I just don't have the same patience for strategy games than other genres. Restarting a checkpoint in a stupidly hard FPS hurts way less than wiping out a map in HOMM and starting over. In racing games I'll try and try and try until I get it right and I'm having a hell of a time grinding fractions of a second on a brutal rally stage.

I remember giving up on that infamous Company of Heroes counterattack hill because I just couldn't take the punishment anymore but I'll spend days on a Doom level and still enjoy myself.

Could you explain the modifying process?
Have a look at that thread I linked, and ask any Qs you like—I'll answer as best I can. Having problems with it right now tho.

But just tested one of the Far Cry 6 mods that got thru, and I have FPP in the ally camp—that's a major QoL improvement for me, means I can visit and explore 'em without that chalk on a chalkboard feeling.

I played some DUSKERS yesterday and had a blast. It's definitely one of those games where you keep wanting to just do one more thing before stopping.

I like the controls, being able to send drones by typing commands as well as being able to take direct control over them. The drones occasionally get stuck on decor or each other, so it would've really sucked if you couldn't move them manually.

The game is surprisingly tense. My motion sensor broke, so I had no way of knowing whether adjacent rooms were safe before opening them. Taking manual control of a drone and sending them into an unknown room, with the command ready to close the door in case you need to retreat, is nerve-wracking.

I made quite a few mistakes so far, but luckily the game has been pretty forgiving so far in giving me replacement drones. The main thing I need to improve is the speed at which I go through the ship, as random events start messing with the ship and blocking off rooms, which might have resources I hadn't collected yet.

I've also been playing a bunch of Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (I think? Too lazy to verify the name) because my daughter has (unfortunately) taken an interest. She does the overworld navigation while I do the sidescrolling levels, but I've never been very good at platformers nor do I like them very much. Luckily the game gives you some options to make the levels easier.

I think I just don't have the same patience for strategy games than other genres. Restarting a checkpoint in a stupidly hard FPS hurts way less than wiping out a map in HOMM and starting over. In racing games I'll try and try and try until I get it right and I'm having a hell of a time grinding fractions of a second on a brutal rally stage.

I'm exactly the same and it's why I quit playing XCOM: Chimera Squad. I loathe having to replay strategy levels because I'm often just repeating exactly what I did last time until I get to the part where I made a mistake. I much preferred just losing my soldiers in XCOM: Enemy Unknown and not having to replay the scenario, even if it meant I had to start the entire campaign over.

@ZedClampet forgot to ask you, did you go the Yami route in Far Cry 6? That's the car racing sub-game.
I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know what that is. Guido was in charge of where we went and what we did until two sessions ago. I may track that down and give it a try if I can figure out where to go.

I've had Autonauts for awhile and was really looking forward to it, but I'm not sure, after playing it yesterday, that it's what I'm looking for in an automation game. Basically all you do is build robots then have them watch you do something, and then they take over and start doing whatever you just did. I've been wanting an automation game since the Tektonica demo, so I may go back and just replay Satisfactory or Factorio.

I don't even know what that is
Stumbled across it while stealing a tank for Zenia Zayas nearby. It's in prob the 1st region you visited, Madrugada—in the SW, just a bit NW of the Montero camp.
6ipYm42.png

See the purple circle NW of Montero's? Here it is, zoomed in:
6IzOYN9.png

The genius artiste in question:
woqKKrh.png

And her magnum opus, ie what she wanted the tank for:
BMUfKOF.png

I declare victory, my pink tank will be unstoppable!

DESTINY 2's next expansion LIGHTFALL COMES OUT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

Been prepping for about the last 3 weeks now, excited for the whole plethora of changes coming with it along with the new story.

I don't understand my (grown) children's roleplaying in GTA5.

You are not alone, but thats legit the only reason why GTA5 is still alive and thriving. The worst roleplaying ive seen though is someone acting like a cop pulling people over, idk not my cup of tea but if it gets you subscribers and streaming moneys then 🤷‍♂️

BMUfKOF.png

I declare victory, my pink tank will be unstoppable!
To be honest, I really don't like that Ubi seem intent on splattering pink paint on everything since the release of New Dawn. I didn't mind it so much in the wild flower laden scenes of ND since learning more about "Super Blooms" that happen every now and then in the real world, but this pink paint stuff takes it too far IMO.

I've had Autonauts for awhile and was really looking forward to it, but I'm not sure, after playing it yesterday, that it's what I'm looking for in an automation game. Basically all you do is build robots then have them watch you do something, and then they take over and start doing whatever you just did. I've been wanting an automation game since the Tektonica demo, so I may go back and just replay Satisfactory or Factorio.

That reminds me, I saw an ad or something for a new automation game in space recently. I think it was for Astro Colony, which is now in Early Access. Might be worth keeping an eye on to see if it turns into something worthwhile.

Signed up for Gamepass for the month so I could have a go at Atomic Heart, pretty excited as it looks like a lot of fun.

Still playing Troubleshooter, I really like the combat, gear and skill progression so far but the story and everything around it is really not for me. Its a great game to do a mission a day in.

Arrived at Caelid in Elden Ring. I didnt do Ranni's quest line first time through so going after that now for a different ending and access to a new area. There's so much weird unique stuff to just poke around and explore. Radahn is still a bastard though on his stupid tiny horse, in the best way possible.

That reminds me, I saw an ad or something for a new automation game in space recently. I think it was for Astro Colony, which is now in Early Access. Might be worth keeping an eye on to see if it turns into something worthwhile.
Been there, done that and quite enjoyed it. Just waiting for some more updates before I play it again. The developer is fantastic. I had a bug and posted it on the Steam forums, and he pushed a fix out within a couple of hours.

Game is pretty far from complete, though, so anyone buying it now should keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Still playing Troubleshooter, I really like the combat, gear and skill progression so far but the story and everything around it is really not for me. Its a great game to do a mission a day in.
The story takes a long time to get started. It mostly just introduces you to the world and characters. Remember, this is the first part of what they expect to be a very long story.

Have you done a violent mission yet? Those have a goal but, once you get the goal, you can try to stick around and fight more enemies.

The story takes a long time to get started. It mostly just introduces you to the world and characters. Remember, this is the first part of what they expect to be a very long story.

Have you done a violent mission yet? Those have a goal but, once you get the goal, you can try to stick around and fight more enemies.

No violent mission yet. I restarted at some point so lost a few hours. I just got access to the market place after the last mission, one where you can walk around freely and go to different stores, don't remember the name right now.

I've only done each story mission once on normal difficulty. Not too excited about the prospect of having to grind already completed missions for levels as time goes on. Dont know if that's needed though, managed to get through so far without too many problems. Character builds are starting to get more complicated, I just unlocked Sions first 'prestige' class. Interesting that you can change that at any point but you keep the skills. At least thats how I understood it, the translation does work against comprehending the mechanics at times!

I usually don't get on with anime stuff so that probably doesn't help with enjoying the story here. I dont hate it, just don't think its going to be one of my favourites.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I've only done each story mission once on normal difficulty. Not too excited about the prospect of having to grind already completed missions for levels as time goes on.
I don't think you need to. There was an early mission I would re-do when a new character showed up, just so I could try the character out to see how everything worked. I re-did some others just because they were fun, too. There's a "violent" one late in the game where the mission itself isn't too hard, but there's an opportunity to get a pet dragon in it that is plenty hard. I tried that one several times but haven't got one. Yet.

TRENDING THREADS