Quality Gaming Chair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2021
Visit site
I'm looking for a pc gaming chair for my 15 year old, 6'2" 250 pound, son who typically spends at least 5 hours a day gaming on his pc. Unfortunately when I purchased his last chair I didn't realize that he was going to love gaming so much and purchased just a basic office chair for about $85 (I know, bad father).

Now that I know better I'd like to purchase him something better than that and something that is actually geared toward gaming comfort.

Is it possible to get that for under $200? If so, what are some of the best gaming chairs for under $200?

If not, how much do you have to pay to get a quality gaming chair?

I heard great things about the GTRacing GT099 but then started digging into more and more reviews and it seems like it may not be as great as I first thought. Therefore I decided to come here to the experts.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

TripleB

May 4, 2021
Visit site
I am not here to waste your time :)

They over priced cheap chairs with famous names plastered on them to make them look better than they are.
Like almost anything labelled Gaming

I truly appreciate that!!!

Do you think this $300 (list price) chair that is on sale for $180 but I can get for $120 somewhere else would be good enough?

Realspace Lenzer Mesh High Back Task Chair

Or do I need something that is a more ergonomic like one of these?

Mimoglad Ergonomic Desk Chair

JHK Ergonomic High Back Office Chair

Bacion 3D Ergonomic Office Chair

Again, thanks for your help!

TripleB

Last edited:
I truly appreciate that!!!

Do you think this $300 (list price) chair that is on sale for $180 but I can get for $120 somewhere else would be good enough?

Realspace Lenzer Mesh High Back Task Chair

Or do I need something that is a more ergonomic like one of these?

Mimoglad Ergonomic Desk Chair

JHK Ergonomic High Back Office Chair

Bacion 3D Ergonomic Office Chair

Again, thanks for your help!

TripleB

That Realspace Lenzer chair doesn't look comfortable at all to me. I don't know anything about these particular chairs, but if I just walked into a room and all four of them were there, I'd sit in the Mimoglad. I want something with some padding on it.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Ugh. Chairs.

The basic problem is that you can't know which chair is right for you until you've sat in it for at least four hours. Even then, I've gotten a bunch of chairs that started off great but, after about a year, the padding had compacted/moved so much that I was essentially sitting on a bench. (There're some pillow/padding things you can get to help with that, but they can throw off the ergonomics.) Amazon reviews won't help at all with that.

I just got this Branch chair a few days ago. Pretty blah. The back can lean back into 4 positions: straight up, back a little, too far back to be remotely useful, and the "why don't you just lie on the couch?" setting. The seat angel doesn't change, either... I think. It didn't come with operating instructions, so it could be that I just haven't twisted the right knobby the right way yet. It's got a thick seat, though, which should last a long time and the chair doesn't leave my back aching, so I think I got about as good as I can expect.

My previous chair has been great, though. I got it over 10 years ago and it's still going strong... except for the arm rests, which have both broken. Unfortunately, I can't find a new version of the chair. (Even if I did, chances are the company has been bought out three times over since then.)

P.S. I think Amazon reviews are borderline useless for buying chairs. People post reviews so soon after starting to use the chair that durability can't be covered.

I agree with Colif & others above—"gaming" is mostly a marketing term to jack up prices.

You may find useful stuff in these threads:

I'm similar stature to your son, and work & play in my chair at least 12/7. This is what I've had for 9 years:

My second time buying this in '13, first in 00s—left it behind during a move. In short, it's been excellent since and still going strong. Heavy and awkward, assembly will go a lot easier if you have 2 people doing it.

I drape a towel over back & seat to keep it more breathable/cool, and to protect material—it will wear off if you don't cover it. Also wrap arms in cloth or padding, whatever you need for extra comfort—and protection of the material.

I replaced the casters with these, so much better for carpet and movement in general—also still going like a champ 9 years later. Just make sure shaft size matches chair hole size.

If there's any back pain, I've had this for over a dozen years—and almost no pain. I can't claim causation, but heck of a coincidence otherwise!
The 'SitSmart Relief Seat' on that page looks like what I have.

Last edited:
I suggest you buy the gaming chair Ficmax Ergonomic Massage Gaming Chair for your child. Especially if he spends many hours sitting, then the memory foam will help make him comfortable. Kids also love to have many color options and that chair I think have more than 5.

except for a few, they all look the same

sad that article exists.

One company teamed up with an actually good chair maker last year, I just can't find it off hand.
Oh, it was Logitech - https://www.hermanmiller.com/en_au/products/gaming/

for people with way more money than brain cells
All chairs need doors...
only 14k... cheap as. Wonder if that includes monitors

Last edited:
I've never bought anything but cheap, new chairs before, so I have no idea. I'm tired of being let down. I think my broken-down chair is less than 2 years old.
this is exactly why I don't buy cheap brand new stuff on a budget when it comes to certain things...
sometimes 2nd hands will do, or, better yet put some cash into investing into things that don't break that easy...

so where are you from? so you get recommended some stuff to get started.

I would personally never buy a gamingchair again, i have had one and tested many and compared to a decent office chair they don't even come close. Unless you are on a low budget and can't afford an office chair I say try to get as good a chair as you can afford and if possible try it beforehand. For someone like me who work with IT-tech and allso do allot of gaming, a good chair is a must. If there are 2 furnitures in my life i won't skimp on it is my Bed and my chair, after all, i spend 7-8h per day in my bed and 6-12h per day in my chair. :) Your body will thank you when you get older :)

Side note. I allmost laughed my butt off at gaming chairs when they first came to the market, buy a cool racing chair to have when you play games, moddled after chairs (or rather seats) THAT ARE DESIGNED TO SIT STRAPPED DOWN IN by 4points or more belts! I mean how could anyone in their right mind think those would be a good thing to sit infront of a PC in? Granted Gaming chairs has gotten a bit better since but not by that much imo :) My SPARCO rallycar seat was so nice to sit in when strapped down but i would hate to sit in it on a daily basis while gaming or working :)

Rant off :D

Edit: Todays gaiming chairs are a bit like those phone holders you could put on old wired phones so you more easly could tilt your head and work with your 2 hands at the same time... those things probably killed more necks than uneducated kiropraktors :p

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS