Question PLEASE HELP ME with controller

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Hi all
A very old gamer here that needs bit of help.
I have bought myself a cheap nonname (literally) controller to play mame games (mainly space invaders) via bluetooth( I dont want to be tripping over wires) on my laptop. I just cant get the bluetooth to work in windows 10.
Controller works perfectly when wired up but I want to use bluetooth.
When I pair up as per instructions everything is OK and it pairs but doesnt connect at all. Dead as a dodo and the controller just keeps on flashing. The only way to regain control is to unpair. After much stuffing around I have noticed in the windows controller setup, that by toggling the home button it shifts between two modes
1) Xbox controller
2) Bluetooth game pad
but the only way of switching is to have it wired to the pc.

I suspect that I need to pair in bluetooth mode BUT
Everytime I disconnect the wire it defaults back to Xbox mode and wont connect properly on bluetooth.
I cant disconnect the cable and then toggle home since, once the cable is disconnected the home button starts the pairing process rather than toggling between modes. This is doing my head in. We are currently under strict lockdown here in Oz and I feel like having a little cry.

I suppose a solution would be to pair up WHILE connected by cable but when the cable is in the pc the home button toggles rather than pairs.......aaaargh.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Are you on Win 10?

How old is controller?

Everytime I disconnect the wire it defaults back to Xbox mode and wont connect properly on bluetooth.

Hi,

There is a very good reason for this. On the console, the controller doesn't use Bluetooth, it uses its own proprietary wireless connection. The original Xbox One controllers didn't have Bluetooth on release and could only be connected via a micro USB cable, the newer controllers have the BT feature, but still work with the original Xbox One (think Xbox One Fat 2013).

It can't re-pair automatically because it has two types of wireless sync technologies built in. The only way I believe you can make the controller sync automatically would be via the Xbox One Gaming receiver for Windows 10. The receiver doesn't use Bluetooth.

I hope that makes sense.

I expect the old cheap ones are the same. Maybe

Jul 31, 2021
Visit site
Are you on Win 10?

How old is controller?

I expect the old cheap ones are the same. Maybe

Hi again
I am on windows 10 with a dell inspiron about 3 years old. Controller is a brand new knock off, but note it is not an xbox controller and was in fact advertised as a switch controller+pc+android.
I have no idea why it appears as an xbox controller in windows as one of the two options.

Last edited:
Fyi, something you may not know:

It's considered bad form to post the same question on multiple sites' forums, without making clear you've done so—eg here and Tom's. Wastes members' time on one site supplying info and suggestions already posted on the other site.
really? thats news to me. Why would you only ask on 1 place and then if its ignored, think... oh, guess I tried, I won't ask anywhere else. No, You ask anywhere you think will help. I saw he posted on Toms Hardware as well but I wasn't saying it was a bad idea. I often see the same questions all over the internet, nothing wrong with it at all. Its when you start asking the same question on the same forum that people don't really like it.

Well, not many people follow that and I don't see a problem asking on many sites. I do see that conflicting advice can happen but as its just a controller, I don't think there is a great risk. If his problem was BSOD or something to do with PC hardware, then you have a point. Often if I find they asked on some other sites, I will mention it in the post (sometimes I find the other places have answered question for me)

So far no one answered his question on Tom's

And we aren't getting any closer discussing this here :)

TRENDING THREADS