Please give me your opinion on my PC components !

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
The components (I haven't bought them yet) :

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU : MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB GAMING X
RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
SSD : Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
Motherboard : Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4
Power Supply : EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX
Case : NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower
Monitor : Asus VP28UQG 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz

**Note : I am not a serious gamer, and not a streamer at all. My budget is around 1000$USD (1300$CAD) for the PC only. Thank you very much for your responses :) **

Reactions: Rensje
Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
Looks like a decent set of parts. There are only three things I would change on your budget.
  • Video Card - At this moment you are selecting a 4K monitor. While the video card will work, its not good for gaming at 4K. You would have to scale the resolution to get reasonable frames as the GTX 1660 S is a 1080p card.
  • Power Supply - 450W is a bit tight. Bump up to 500W or 550W and a Gold rating. Shouldn't be to hard to find. I use Seasonic Power Supplies. Corsair is good too.
  • Monitor - Do you really need 4K? At 28'' you can do just fine with 1440p. I have a 27'' 1440p monitor and its great. Also, Asus is always more expensive than the competition. LG is great! Samsung is good too.

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
Looks like a decent set of parts. There are only three things I would change on your budget.
  • Video Card - At this moment you are selecting a 4K monitor. While the video card will work, its not good for gaming at 4K. You would have to scale the resolution to get reasonable frames as the GTX 1660 S is a 1080p card.
  • Power Supply - 450W is a bit tight. Bump up to 500W or 550W and a Gold rating. Shouldn't be to hard to find. I use Seasonic Power Supplies. Corsair is good too.
  • Monitor - Do you really need 4K? At 28'' you can do just fine with 1440p. I have a 27'' 1440p monitor and its great. Also, Asus is always more expensive than the competition. LG is great! Samsung is good too.
Thank you very much

About that combination of GPU and monitor: if you are content to play games at 1080p but want a 4K monitor for productivity or other reasons, you can use Nvidia's integer scaling feature to get a perfectly clean upscaled 1080p image on your 4K panel. Almost like you are gaming on a monitor with a native resolution of 1080p. This wouldn't work nearly as well on a 1440p screen because the pixel scaling wouldn't be 1:1.

I will say that a 28" panel is quite small for a 4K monitor. If you don't use any of Windows' built-in scaling features text will be almost illegibly small.

Reactions: Zoid
While the X570 board is a solid choice for an X570 board, it is still a lot more expensive than B450, which would be more than fine for your uses. You don't seem to be shopping in the kind of price range where an X570 benefits you (no PCIe 4.0 SSDs, no ultra high end GPUs, no 12/16-core, high power CPUs).

This is money you could spend elsewhere e.g. a better GPU, a larger and maybe better quality PSU, a 1440p monitor to game at 1440p on (along with the better GPU)

What did you think of the suggestions in your other thread?

Zoid

Community Contributor
As others here have mentioned, the X570 board is unnecessary for this build. You would be better served by getting a B450 board and putting the extra savings elsewhere. I would also strongly recommend improving your power supply. That isn't an area that you want to skimp. The units that @Oussebon and I recommended in your other thread would be good picks, but in general I would shoot for something in the 500 - 650 watt range and a gold certification. This PSU tier list is a good quick reference for PSU quality, although it is no substitute for your own research.

As for your monitor, it's really up to you what resolution you want. If you want a 4K monitor, by all means go for it. It's just worth managing your expectations for gaming. A GTX 1660 Super will be able to play older, less demanding games at 4K, but just keep in mind that graphically intensive games will need to be played at a lower resolution or significantly lowered settings.

A couple other things about your current parts list - a CPU cooler is not strictly necessary since the Ryzen 5 3600 comes with a suitable one. You may well decide that you want an aftermarket cooler, that's totally fine, but it may be worth waiting to see whether you actually need one. If you decide that the stock cooler is serving your needs then you've saved $40 or so.

Finally, I would suggest upgrading your RAM to DDR4-3600 if you can. Usually you can find sets of 3600 for right around the same price as 3200, and for a couple bucks more it would be worth it. Ryzen CPUs like fast RAM, so a few extra megahertz can actually give you a worth-while boost in performance.

Reactions: Rensje and Oussebon
I'd swap out the x570 motherboard for a B450, and the monitor for a 27" 1440p, and use whatever money saved on a better GPU. Switch also out PSU for a bigger one.

3200Mhz RAM works fine, as you will be GPU bound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rensje
Jan 20, 2020
Visit site
Get a b450 board instead that is more appropriate for the 3600. Ditch 4k monitor if uou dont need it and get a 1440p one instead. Use the savings to pay for a 16gb ram kit clocked @ 3600mhz.

Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
Is that 450w PSU going to have enough juice for this system? It can't be much more expensive to upgrade to a beefier supply, so you're future-proofed. I bought a 750w PSU 10 years ago and I've never had to think about the draw my graphics card had through dozens of upgrades.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019
Visit site
Ah, I see zSCHIZOz was way ahead of me. Yeah: buy a good quality, 550w+ branded PSU (I've got a Corsair) and you'll not need to think about upgrading this in the future for a mid-range gaming PC, unless you decide to go dual-GPU or you get hit by a power surge.

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS