Help with new build please

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, i have never built a PC before and i recently received help on another forum but would just like to get it double checked here if thats ok? Im a little cautious with spending so much money and then not having it work. The build i need should be optimized for video editing and rendering, have 32gb of ram and an nvidia graphics card. My budget is around £700.

This was the final build we came up with:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Mxf9t7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (£142.97 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo 51.88 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£69.50 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: WD_BLACK SN770 2TB M.2 2280 Game Drive PCIe Gen4 NVMe up to 5150 MB/s
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (£269.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Case: MSI MAG FORGE M100R MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: MSI MAG A650BN 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£52.98 @ Ebuyer)

What do people make of that? Is it all compatible? The build in the link is a little dated as we swapped Horizon Exo MicroATX Mid Tower Case' for the 'MSI MAG FORGE M100R MicroATX Mini Tower Case and also swapped the 'Solidigm P41 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive' for the 'WD_BLACK SN770 2TB M.2 2280 Game Drive PCIe Gen4 NVMe up to 5150 MB/s'. I bolded the updated changes in the list from the partpicker link. Although annoyingly i waited too long and the WD_BLACK SN770 2TB M.2 2280 Game Drive PCIe Gen4 NVMe up to 5150 MB/s has been bumped up in price by around £40! It was £85 at one point.You snooze you lose i guess. I may wait for it to come down again, as i do prefer a 2tb ssd.

Ill be mostly using this build for video editing, using software like after effects and premiere pro.

All help and advice very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
There's a chance that board doesn't have updated bios for that cpu. I would look at a B550 board.
Hi, thanks for the reply!

The person that made the build said the following about the bios:

"When the motherboard M.2 slot M2_1 (M) is used, two SATA 6 Gb/s ports are disabled." means that you cant use the last two sata ports but you can still use 4 other sata ports(that means upto 4 hdds/ssds) i hope it helps!here is the build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Mxf9t7the bios update is already done so no need to worry!it just doesnt know it sometimes so its better to say"

I mean, i have no idea with computer parts, i find this all overwhelming, this is the reason i wanted the build double checked, i dont want to make a mistake.

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
Thanks D10S, i sent them a message, we'll see what they say.

But in case they dont reply, or its the incorrect BIOS, without lowering the qaulity, is there an alternative motherboard that is a similar price that would be compatible with that build? If there is, seems an unnecessary gamble to go with that motherboard.

Btw. just out of interest, what do people make of the build overall? Once the motherboard is sorted, does it all seem ok?

Thanks again.

Thanks D10S, i sent them a message, we'll see what they say.

But in case they dont reply, or its the incorrect BIOS, without lowering the qaulity, is there an alternative motherboard that is a similar price that would be compatible with that build? If there is, seems an unnecessary gamble to go with that motherboard.

Btw. just out of interest, what do people make of the build overall? Once the motherboard is sorted, does it all seem ok?

Thanks again.
I tried to do better and couldnt really for the same price. A B550 board is going to run you at least 20 more, honestly a bit more than that for one I would usually recommend. You could squeeze an RTX 4060 for £20 more, but I dont know if the lower VRAM vs the 3060 would be a problem for your use. We usually deal with gaming around here.

A lot of motherboards these days have the ability to flash a new BIOS without having a CPU installed, you could check if any B450 boards within your budget have that, it will be listed as a feature.

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
I tried to do better and couldnt really for the same price. A B550 board is going to run you at least 20 more, honestly a bit more than that for one I would usually recommend. You could squeeze an RTX 4060 for £20 more, but I dont know if the lower VRAM vs the 3060 would be a problem for your use. We usually deal with gaming around here.

A lot of motherboards these days have the ability to flash a new BIOS without having a CPU installed, you could check if any B450 boards within your budget have that, it will be listed as a feature.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

In regards to the BIOS, the seller got back to me and said the motherboard’s BIOS version cannot be confirmed. However, like you suggested above, the motherboard does come with a BIOS flashback feature that allows you to update the BIOS.

I think i should go with a B550 board then, just so its a little more straight forward setting up. Can anyone possibly help me with which B550 board? Please forgive me, im just not sure which one is the right one. There are two of a similar price:

Are the both pretty much the same? Are they both compatible with the build?

Thanks again.

Btw, how do i provide 'likes' for posts?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

In regards to the BIOS, the seller got back to me and said the motherboard’s BIOS version cannot be confirmed. However, like you suggested above, the motherboard does come with a BIOS flashback feature that allows you to update the BIOS.

I think i should go with a B550 board then, just so its a little more straight forward setting up. Can anyone possibly help me with which B550 board? Please forgive me, im just not sure which one is the right one. There are two of a similar price:

Are the both pretty much the same? Are they both compatible with the build?

Thanks again.

Btw, how do i provide 'likes' for posts?
Any B550 chipset based motherboard will be compatible, no worries there.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the budget M-ATX end here though, had a little scout around and I would suggest that you stretch a little to go for either:

Both have heatsinks on the power delivery which is important for longevity, and also reinforced PCI-E slots to support the GPU's weight more over time.

Generally, you should think about things like how many USB devices you need to connect for your work, and how many fans you need to power, and then make sure whatever board you choose has enough of those for you to use practically.

If its a matter of the two Asus boards only, I would get the Prime-A based on the fact it has heatsinks on the VRM.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
There are limitations on new members' facilities due to the amount of drive-by spam we get every day.

Ah ok, makes sense! Thanks :)

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the budget M-ATX end here though, had a little scout around and I would suggest that you stretch a little to go for either:

Both have heatsinks on the power delivery which is important for longevity, and also reinforced PCI-E slots to support the GPU's weight more over time.

Generally, you should think about things like how many USB devices you need to connect for your work, and how many fans you need to power, and then make sure whatever board you choose has enough of those for you to use practically.

If its a matter of the two Asus boards only, I would get the Prime-A based on the fact it has heatsinks on the VRM.

Thanks!

Im going to go with your expertise and go with this one:

No, no need for an Asus board, sorry, that was my bad. When you mentioned a B550 board, i just spotted 'B550' on the amazon page of the Asus Prime B450M motherboard i posted in my first post and thought you were referring to those boards.

I haven't made up my mind yet but i think i may also go with your suggestion of replacing the MSI GeForce RTX 3060 with the RTX 4060. Is there a significant difference between the two?

Think i have pretty much all parts nailed down now, just trying to find a cheaper ssd 2tb drive now and i should be done. Was hoping the WD_BLACK SN77 2tb drive would come back down in price but it hasnt. Will try to find another one for around £80.

Does anyone know if prices for parts come down around Christmas time? or after Christmas in the sales? Should i wait a little while longer or are prices unlikely to come down?

Thanks again all for all the help!

Theres a review where they tested 25 popular games and provide an average performance. For video editing its not my area at all, so I dont feel comfortable recommending one or the other because Im not sure how much the VRAM amount is relevant, for gaming its pretty meaningless as you can see.

I usually look to Puget systems for pro use benchmarks, but they havent tested the 3060 and 4060 here, and results were a bit odd between 3060Ti and 4060Ti (completely different cards despite the naming convention) as you can see in the link there.

Perhaps try over at Toms Hardware forums, someone there might have direct experience.

As far as I know prices dont go down after Xmas much, and prices for RAM and SSDs may be rising into next year because the supply is slowing down. Theres always a chance of snagging a deal though.

are prices unlikely to come down?

If you can find out which of your potential retailers have financial End-of-Year on December 31st, then there's a good chance they'll discount a bit extra—they'll want to reduce inventory as much as possible for tax reasons.

Search for info. Some US-centric to give you an idea:

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Nov 29, 2023
Visit site

Hi, not sure if im doing something wrong here but when i'm adding the above motherboard to the build i still get this BIOS warning on partpicker:

"The MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 5 5500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor with BIOS version 7C95v2A. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, updating the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU."

Theres a review where they tested 25 popular games and provide an average performance. For video editing its not my area at all, so I dont feel comfortable recommending one or the other because Im not sure how much the VRAM amount is relevant, for gaming its pretty meaningless as you can see.

I usually look to Puget systems for pro use benchmarks, but they havent tested the 3060 and 4060 here, and results were a bit odd between 3060Ti and 4060Ti (completely different cards despite the naming convention) as you can see in the link there.

Perhaps try over at Toms Hardware forums, someone there might have direct experience.

As far as I know prices dont go down after Xmas much, and prices for RAM and SSDs may be rising into next year because the supply is slowing down. Theres always a chance of snagging a deal though.

Yeah, will do a bit more research on the two cards before deciding, thanks for the links, will have a look.
If you can find out which of your potential retailers have financial End-of-Year on December 31st, then there's a good chance they'll discount a bit extra—they'll want to reduce inventory as much as possible for tax reasons.

Search for info. Some US-centric to give you an idea:

Interesting, just had a brief look so far but some very useful links there! Will have a closer look, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts