PC Gamer Reader Awards - tell us about the monitors you love!

PCG Dave

Staff member
Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
CI31i6b.jpg

What's the PC gaming gear that you've fallen in love with? It doesn't matter whether it's the latest Nvidia graphics card, a 2000-series AMD CPU, or that grinty gaming mouse you picked up a few years back but now can't bear to be without. Whatever it is, we want to know about it.

And we're not necessarily talking about what you think your most powerful superstar component is, or your most expensive purchase, we'd like you to tell us about the different parts of your gaming setup that mean the most to you. If you're regularly gaming with it today, and it sparks joy, then we want you to tell us just why that particular slice of PC gaming has found a place in your heart.

Over the next two weeks we're going to find out just what our PC Gamer readers are gaming with and why you love the kit you do. So each day there will be a new category of gear and we'd love you to get involved and tell us which products speak to you and why. Then we will gather all the entries together, come up with a shortlist for each of the following categories, and you will then have the chance to vote on which products should get the coveted PC Gamer Readers' Award.
Today we're asking about the monitor you've fallen in love with.

Is there a high refresh rate TN screen that gets your gaming juices flowing, is it all about the IPS for you, or can you absolutely, positively not do without that ultra-curved, ultrawide gaming monitor on your desktop? Tell us in the thread below, without quoting the original post, first with the name of the product in question, and then just a line or two about why it means so much to you.

And who knows... you might even find yourself featured on the site in our Readers' Awards coverage too.

Reactions: Kylingner and MHaag
Two different questions here really :)

LG 27GL850-B

Because it's love, because it's life. I'd love to have one. I don't need to explain why as everyone has already listed it as the gaming monitor.

But for monitors that mean a lot to me, as much as monitors mean anything, it needs to be AOC's budget IPS offerings. Shoutouts to the AOC i2352vh and AOC Q3279VWFD8.

The AOC i2352vh I got in 2012 - the days before gaming was all about gsync, freesync, and the kitchen sink. You were aiming for 1080p 60fps and that was that. The monitor was 1080p, 60hz, 23", and brought IPS to the ~£120 price point. Not much has changed in 8 years in that end of the market and it still serves as a 2nd screen. Coming from a Samsung SM713BM/17 (1280x1024, 17") it blew me away.

Last year I made the jump to 1440p. Bought 4 1440p monitors and had to return them all due to atrocious QC. One had 22 or more stuck pixels.

Then I bought an AOC Q3279VWFD8 for ~£160 (normally ~£200). 31.5", 1440p, IPS, and Freesync (which you can extend the range of via CRU). Ludicrous spec for the money. No dead pixels, minimal edge bleed and glow. On top of 1440p, the more modern panel is a step up from my i2352vh with much richer and fuller colours. And Adaptive Sync with my RTX 2060 is a game changer - goodbye tearing!

Even when I replace this with a high end gaming monitor, this will make an outstanding office monitor (and it already does when used for that).

AOC's budget IPS monitors haven't missed the mark for me yet.

The monitor i fell in love with was my very first G-SYNC one i purchased actually. The ROG SWIFT PG278Q back in 2015 in an open box deal through newegg. Its still being used to this day because Asus replaced it in 2017 (for free) with an updated version of that model. Its sturdy and durable (have had it knocked over, pushed, splashed on with no lasting marks) which, next to being 144hz and G Sync make it an amazing monitor to me.

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site
My monitor isn’t a monitor... it’s a 55” Samsung QLED 4K HDR tv which I paid £600 for on Black Friday. And it’s absolutely amazing, gaming on a huge panel just three feet away is so immersive. If you’re a super high FPS gamer then this 60hz tv isn’t for you, but for space sims, race sims and the odd bit of Destiny 2 it’s perfect for me.

Acer Predator 27'' G-Sync 4K panel. Got it second hand on eBay back in '17 and it was my window into 4K gaming. It was (and still is) a bit spotty, with image burn-in and occasional artifact glitches but I don't care one bit. Blockbusters go on the big screen TV these days and that Predator is more than happy to do indie fare at ridiculous resolutions. I will only change it when it gives up the ghost entirely.

Jul 14, 2020
Visit site
I once had an AW3418DW that I absolutely loved. I am a widescreen junkie all the way and I think 21:9 is the perfect ratio for gaming (and film/animation) and for a gaming monitor 3440 x 1440 seems to be perfect resolution for high refresh rates with G-Sync and HDR given the current limitations of the hardware required to maintain those numbers.

Since that monitor broke in a move, I've been using 3 Dell S2417DG's with a S2716DG as an aux. I will say despite the colors lacking being a TN panel and all, playing games (namely Rocket League) at 165Hz at 2560 x1440 via GSync is wonderful. I have tried surround mode, but 3 monitors side by side is not a normal ratio that makes sense and so games tend to stretch the image and it generally doesn't look great and causes interesting "bugs" like only seeing 2/3rds of your character and other weird little things. I went with this setup as opposed to another widescreen for 2 reasons. 1) For work from home purposes, having multiple independent screens is incredibly useful. 2) I have yet to see another widescreen that I can comfortably pay an exorbitant amount for that ticks all the boxes I want ticked.

My ideal monitor that I have not yet seen made yet is as follows:
21:9 Ratio
3440 x 1440 resolution
34"+ or basically as big as we can go while maintaining native 21:9 aspect ratio at 3440 x 1440 resolution.
Native 1000R curve (Native 1500R would also be acceptable)
VESA-Certified DisplayHDR 500 True Black (I'd also accept DisplayHDR 1000)
Minimum 200Hz refresh rate with G-Sync Ultimate (with a preference of 240Hz for future proofing).
1ms GTG response time
As far as panel type, whichever is capable of hitting the above numbers whether it be IPS or VA or QLED or something new.
Simple to use physical buttons as well as simple to operate GUI.
Display Port input.
Headphone plug-in would be a sweet bonus, but not required.
USB Ports/Hubs not required, but will likely be included anyway.
RGB not required, but will likely be included anyway.
That's about it.

I don't know if a monitor of this specification will ever be released, but I feel like it would do gangbusters if it did.
I don't see the need for anything above the 21:9 aspect ratio as these 40"+ especially the popular 49" monitors, utilize a ratio that isn't supported by any games or used in film (32:9 and above) and REALLY Exacerbates the issue of having the sides of the screen zoomed all the way in creating an uncomfortable, unrelastic widescreen experiences.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day everyone!

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I once had an AW3418DW that I absolutely loved. I am a widescreen junkie all the way and I think 21:9 is the perfect ratio for gaming (and film/animation) and for a gaming monitor 3440 x 1440 seems to be perfect resolution for high refresh rates with G-Sync and HDR given the current limitations of the hardware required to maintain those numbers.

Since that monitor broke in a move, I've been using 3 Dell S2417DG's with a S2716DG as an aux. I will say despite the colors lacking being a TN panel and all, playing games (namely Rocket League) at 165Hz at 2560 x1440 via GSync is wonderful. I have tried surround mode, but 3 monitors side by side is not a normal ratio that makes sense and so games tend to stretch the image and it generally doesn't look great and causes interesting "bugs" like only seeing 2/3rds of your character and other weird little things. I went with this setup as opposed to another widescreen for 2 reasons. 1) For work from home purposes, having multiple independent screens is incredibly useful. 2) I have yet to see another widescreen that I can comfortably pay an exorbitant amount for that ticks all the boxes I want ticked.

My ideal monitor that I have not yet seen made yet is as follows:
21:9 Ratio
3440 x 1440 resolution
34"+ or basically as big as we can go while maintaining native 21:9 aspect ratio at 3440 x 1440 resolution.
Native 1000R curve (Native 1500R would also be acceptable)
VESA-Certified DisplayHDR 500 True Black (I'd also accept DisplayHDR 1000)
Minimum 200Hz refresh rate with G-Sync Ultimate (with a preference of 240Hz for future proofing).
1ms GTG response time
As far as panel type, whichever is capable of hitting the above numbers whether it be IPS or VA or QLED or something new.
Simple to use physical buttons as well as simple to operate GUI.
Display Port input.
Headphone plug-in would be a sweet bonus, but not required.
USB Ports/Hubs not required, but will likely be included anyway.
RGB not required, but will likely be included anyway.
That's about it.

I don't know if a monitor of this specification will ever be released, but I feel like it would do gangbusters if it did.
I don't see the need for anything above the 21:9 aspect ratio as these 40"+ especially the popular 49" monitors, utilize a ratio that isn't supported by any games or used in film (32:9 and above) and REALLY Exacerbates the issue of having the sides of the screen zoomed all the way in creating an uncomfortable, unrelastic widescreen experiences.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day everyone!
You should check out the Samsung G9.

I like this monitor or the Sammy G7. But the Lenovo Legion is a great contender as well.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020
Visit site
You should check out the Samsung G9.

Sorry, I know my post was long, but I believe you missed the point I made of very strongly disliking Massive monitors that are a 32:9 aspect ratio. Obviously I was very excited for it as it is certainly the closest to my dream monitor. However, it's simply too big and the incorrect aspect ratio/resolution for me.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi
Sorry, I know my post was long, but I believe you missed the point I made of very strongly disliking Massive monitors that are a 32:9 aspect ratio. Obviously I was very excited for it as it is certainly the closest to my dream monitor. However, it's simply too big and the incorrect aspect ratio/resolution for me.
Yeah seems to be the 1st on scene. So maybe after this they'll put out something less in size keeping everything else to appeal to more gamers. Meaning cheaper monitor with similar specs.

Samsung may be preparing for another jump depending on film makers.

Wait for the next James Cameron movie or something else down the pipe. Aspect ratios typically are decided by the film/art industry not gaming. Maybe something is changing down the road?

Seems 32:9 will be where things are heading. It gives an advantage in gaming as you might actually see an opponent on screen before them due to increased peripheral vision.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zapper
Jul 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi
Yeah seems to be the 1st on scene. So maybe after this they'll put out something less in size keeping everything else to appeal to more gamers. Meaning cheaper monitor with similar specs.

We can only hope!! I mean it is insanely close the ideal monitor for gaming and if by making it smaller cuts the cost, and the MSRP, then that's a win-win!

Reactions: Synack
May 5, 2020
Visit site
I've had quite a few monitors in my PC gaming life, but picking up the 55" LG C9 last October changed my life forever. It's legitimately the first TV that is up to spec as a monitor replacement and I picked the perfect time to switch over and i'm glad every day I did. This is my first high refresh "monitor" @120hz and it just blows me away how fluid it is to play like this.

It all started because I already had a 38" Acer Ultrawide, but it was only 75Hz. I wanted high refresh, but didn't want to size down so I had to wait for LG to comeout with their 175hz panel in that size...but it was $1,800. That was the last straw for me and I just picked up the LG C9 and my god even an IPS panel doesn't look this good. I was worried about the 55" size, but on my 30" deep desk it's the PERFECT PPI and completely fills your vision field.

The caveat is HDMI 2.0 limitations, but new GPUs are right around the corner with HDMI2.1 so 4K 120hz will be a reality soon and I absolutely couldn't be happier. Would 110% recommend any gamer looking at highest end monitors pick up the 48" LG CX, nothing else comes close.

My Setup: https://images2.imgbox.com/f3/94/KAaWzAf9_o.jpg

EDIT: I love ultrawide (a lot), but the aspect ratio is a huge headache for game compatibility, normal videos, and console play. The only reason I had an ultrawide to begin with is because they were the largest monitors you could buy. So the TV fits my size need while being compatible with all media.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I've had quite a few monitors in my PC gaming life, but picking up the 55" LG C9 last October changed my life forever. It's legitimately the first TV that is up to spec as a monitor replacement and I picked the perfect time to switch over and i'm glad every day I did. This is my first high refresh "monitor" @120hz and it just blows me away how fluid it is to play like this.

It all started because I already had a 38" Acer Ultrawide, but it was only 75Hz. I wanted high refresh, but didn't want to size down so I had to wait for LG to comeout with their 175hz panel in that size...but it was $1,800. That was the last straw for me and I just picked up the LG C9 and my god even an IPS panel doesn't look this good. I was worried about the 55" size, but on my 30" deep desk it's the PERFECT PPI and completely fills your vision field.

The caveat is HDMI 2.0 limitations, but new GPUs are right around the corner with HDMI2.1 so 4K 120hz will be a reality soon and I absolutely couldn't be happier. Would 110% recommend any gamer looking at highest end monitors pick up the 48" LG CX, nothing else comes close.

My Setup: https://images2.imgbox.com/f3/94/KAaWzAf9_o.jpg

EDIT: I love ultrawide (a lot), but the aspect ratio is a huge headache for game compatibility, normal videos, and console play. The only reason I had an ultrawide to begin with is because they were the largest monitors you could buy. So the TV fits my size need while being compatible with all media.

Not to poke fun, but I love how you talk up the viewing of the screen then display Spyro on it hilarious.

I was expecting something like R6S or COD MW. But nice monitor replacement find.

Good game though. My sister used to play it on the psx.

May 5, 2020
Visit site
Not to poke fun, but I love how you talk up the viewing of the screen then display Spyro on it hilarious.
I was expecting something like R6S or COD MW. But nice monitor replacement find.
Good game though. My sister used to play it on the psx.

It had come out not too long after I got the set and actually it was the perfect game to highlight the difference between my old monitor and the TV with the incredible colors and 120hz. Can't even begin to gush enough on how good those colors are and the Spyro remake is one of the most lush/colorful games i've ever seen.

It shines just as well for Doom Eternal which I ideally got it for (before it was delayed), M+K FPS games are surprisingly nice and responsive on a screen this big.

Reactions: The Zapper
Mar 7, 2020
Visit site
Got to open with an honorary shoutout to my old BenQ G2420, which I've had for ten years now and it's still holding up OK, aside from some minimal fading. On the upside, that fading means that the edge bleeding has become less prominent. A damn good 120 Euros spent, if I may say so. Boosted to 75Hz and color corrected, it did a great job for games as well as digital art for all those years. But it was kind of harsh on movies.

I love my current AOC 27G2U. Originally looking for the 24-inch model, I got the 27 as a stop-gap after the retailer failed to deliver (long story), but ended up liking it so much that I kept it. Excellent as a primary monitor for my gaming PC and PS4, photo editing, digital art, etc. And it's surprisingly good for film viewing as well. It's also very neat, taking up little more space than a 24". Plus, the stand is excellent. Anything negative? The user interface is a bit fiddly, and I can see why some people dislike it. I rarely touch it since I don't mess around with profiles once I have everything set up. But it would have been nice with a slicker was of switching connections, like when jumping between the PC and my consoles.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
I don't know what they are. All I know is that I have three of them, they're totally mismatched by size, and multi monitor support for Windows and for games is terrible. Seriously, the stretching and distortion on the side monitors is ridiculous, and screen warping software to fix it costs loads o' money.

TRENDING THREADS