Question Overheating issue

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
hello all
my rig : Acer Predator Helios 300, CPU-intel i7-1075OH @ 2.60GHz,
GPU-Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 with max Q design.
Ever since updating my GPU game ready driver from the Geforce experience website a few versions ago,
my CPU temperature range has increased from around 63C-74C to around 85C-96C specifically while playing either "No Mans Sky"
or at least one other high end graphics game.
I have tried all the following to no avail:
1) uninstalled and reinstalled new GPU driver.
2) uninstalled new GPU driver and reinstalled previous 2 versions.
3) adjusted Maximum processor state 100% to 99% and less.
4) tried both "Acer" and "high performance" windows power plans.
5) updated bios as well some outdated Intel and Nvidia drivers.
6) Validated No Mans Sky file integrity using Steam file integrity check.
7) Adjusted various No Mans Sky ingame graphics quality settings. (since the overheating started, these setting seem to have no
noticeable effect on graphics quality which was not the case prior to the problem.
8) uninstalled and reinstalled both No Mans Sky and Steam.
9) contacted both Intel and Nvdia who both sent me testing softwear the results of which I sent back to them. Both companies said
they found nothing wrong with their products and recomended I contact Acer.
10) Shipped computer to Acer for examination, thermal paste was replaced but Acer Indicated that they could not duplicate the overheating.
(I did not specifically mention No Mans Sky, Just high end gaming, but actual description of problem provided for the repair shop "
only said "whenever I play a Game")
I am super frustrated with this. Clearly something has changed to produce such a sudden and major change in average temperature range.
but what is it?
any advise or suggestions will be much appriciated.

thanks

Jun 5, 2022
Visit site
High ambient temperatures, including humidity, will have a noticable increase on a PC's thermals. If you are in a warm room, the laptop's fan may not have the capacity to cool the system efficiently.

You may have to purchase a laptop cooling pad.

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
High ambient temperatures, including humidity, will have a noticable increase on a PC's thermals. If you are in a warm room, the laptop's fan may not have the capacity to cool the system efficiently.

You may have to purchase a laptop cooling pad.
thank you for your response.
I get that but the increase in CPU temperature range was sudden, abrupt and extreme. There was no change in the room temperature or humidity level, and the problem has been consistent ever since regardless of the room enviornment Noticed it right after upgrading the GPU driver. In addition, I have been using a suction based cooling fan for months.

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
Ive already rolled back the driver 2 versions but maybe I should go back further?
is an "image" the same as a restore point? in any case I'm going to check and see if there are any restore points going back that far, I have backed up all important saved data, What do you think of doing a factory reset and would that require me to ship the rig back to the manufacturer?
I appreciate your input, thank you

driver … maybe I should go back further?
No, just to whatever it was before you did the upgrade which coincided with the problem.

Re later questions: Which Windows are you on? I will assume 10 for now.

is an "image" the same as a restore point?
No.

Restore Point is a snapshot of Windows system, so includes all Windows files, Registry and drivers.

Image is a snapshot of the system disk, so it includes all a Restore Point has, and also all other software and settings on that disk—eg programs and games, photos, documents etc etc.

I prefer Image because of the unlikely possibility that a bad Windows update will include messing up Restore—which of course means you can't restore any more—and also to have a backup of any programs I've customized a lot. I take one every month before the regular MS Update on the 2nd Tuesday.

Note that an image could take 2-3 hours if you only have one big C: drive with everything on it.

factory reset … would that require me to ship the rig back to the manufacturer?
No.

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation of "restore point" and "image", I will be using image from now on; and yes,I currently have windows 10 installed.
I have not visited the link you provided about windows factory reset yet but I have a few questions:
1) Do you think there is any potential benefit to doing this in regard to my overheating problem?
2) if I do a factory reset of windows, are all my installed programs lost?
3) Does a factory reset differ in any way from reinstalling windows, and if so, how so?
4) In terms of a gaming platform, what do you think of windows 11?

thanks again for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited your post as it had some strange things at bottom

running ddu in safe mode and removing the gpu drivers and putting others back on might help - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/
1) it might reset drivers.
2) likely lose all programs. Factory reset on win 10 only installs the current version again. In most cases the factory image may have been replaced by a newer one. Win 10 gets a new version every 6 months so probably just install that again.
3) It doesn't have to format the drive on a reset, it puts PC back into the Out of Box Experience state - https://askleo.com/set-up-windows-10-again-with-the-windows-out-of-box-experience-oobe/
4) its about the same as Win 10.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the edit. Don't know what that was all about.
I already tried ddu in safe mode to remove the GPU driver and did a clean install of both the driver that was installed when the problem started and the previous version driver, but no change in CPU temperature in either case.
My understanding is that if I simply upgrade to windows 11 instead of a factory reset of 10, I wont lose anything. So if that be the case, I will try that. Short of tossing the PC out the window, I'm running out of ideas.

if I simply upgrade to windows 11 instead of a factory reset of 10, I wont lose anything. So if that be the case, I will try that
It's worth a shot, fingers crossed.

If it doesn't help, then before you toss PC, try Colif's suggestion of a clean install of Win11. I've never gone from one version of Win to another without starting afresh, just on general principles—too much unnecessary and possibly conflicting stuff comes along for the upgrade ride.

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
It's worth a shot, fingers crossed.

If it doesn't help, then before you toss PC, try Colif's suggestion of a clean install of Win11. I've never gone from one version of Win to another without starting afresh, just on general principles—too much unnecessary and possibly conflicting stuff comes along for the upgrade ride.
Ok, I updated to windows 11 from windows update but the problem persists.
Question, how do I do a clean install and if I do that, what if anything is lost in terms of saved data and apps?

how do I do a clean install

what if anything is lost in terms of saved data and apps
I'm not on Win11, but my guess is all will be lost on the system drive and you will need to reinstall your apps.

Data will also be lost, so make sure you have it backed up on some other drive—which you probably have done already anyway.

The articles above will probably explain in more detail.

Jun 6, 2022
Visit site
I updated to windows 11 but not a clean install. I didn't loose any data or apps but my overeating issue persists. I'm going to now have to perform a clean install of windows and reinstall all my apps. I am convinced this is a software issue, so I have my fingers crossed. I will post the outcome as soon as I complete the process.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
Reinstalling Windows does not help in all cases, and even if it does, it does not last long. I often reinstalled Windows before, it helped me for a week, then it would overheat again. I had a lot of trouble with that, not only did it overheat, but it also started to slow down a lot.
Laptops are very prone to overheating because of the cooling system, PCs certainly win here. If it was working fine before, and now it is overheating. When manipulation with the software does not help, try to clean the cooling system and change the thermal paste. This helps in 85% of cases. The problem of dirty cooling system is common in laptops, so it is recommended to service the laptop at least once a year. Also recommend buying a cooling pad for a laptop. This will be the best solution to this problem, it helped me, although I have a rather old laptop Toshiba Satellite A300. Without a cooling pad, my laptop starts to get very hot when playing games like world of tanks, so this is like a lifeline for my laptop.

[Mod edit: link deleted, possible spam post]

Last edited by a moderator:
any thoughts?
This should explain it:

Read a few threads to get a feel for what's acceptable, if you're still unclear, read these:

TRENDING THREADS